Which is a better Rega pairing? Uturn Pluto or Schiit mani?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbsimon88, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbsimon88

dbsimon88 Active Member Thread Starter

Thank you, not only is it getting OT, but i'm getting suggestions for outside my budget (but yes I can reference this thread later.. but still please stay on topic). I originally ordered the ART DJPRE II because it had amazing reviews on amazon, Vinyl Addict convinced me to go up a level and spend around $100 on a preamp (so about $60 more) which is manageable, but I can't spend anymore for now. I just want to have a solid set-up thats sounds as good as or better then my spotify premium 320kbps. If it ticks this off I will be very happy. I was told keeping the ART DJPRE II would probably be more of a waste since I have a cart already that comes with it which I can use until it wears out, but I need a preamp. I believe a solid entry level setup will keep me happy for a while (If I am satisfied with this hopefully low bar) and not need to upgrade until the needle wears out and upgrade to an ortofon red 2m cart and then blue. I am thinking that's all I'll ever do.

If you rich folks have surplus to requirements.. alms for the poor! :angel:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    H8SLKC and displayname like this.
  2. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

I haven't heard the Pluto or the Mani but I have been reading up on all the phono reviews in anticipation of getting one myself. Both the Pluto and Mani seem to be good choices and both have their share of fans. Based on 1) the majority of respondents to a comparison of the Pluto and Mani at Analogplanet.com preferred the Pluto, 2) some people on this forum reported interference issues with the Mani and 3) the Pluto is $40 cheaper and you are on a tight budget, I suggest you try the Pluto.

displayname, HiFi Guy and bluemooze like this.
  3. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Almost sounds like you are accusing me of shilling for Rotel. Have heard it not owned it but I think it punched way above its price. Some good reviews on it too for that’s worth. The Mani RF issue is reported by many people that bought one including some right here on this forum. It seems location dependent. Lots of guys have one that haven’t had the problem but I’ve seen enough posts from people that have that I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Yes you can return if it doesn’t work for you but why go through the hassle when there are other choices.

4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

What the.... ?

You brought up an obscure option without much details, just asking you to give your take, comparison,etc.

Now, I would just say "chill".... re-read the post, if you can't be asked to elaborate on your recs, then don't make them.... you are being a little overly sensitive.

5. dbsimon88

Ok I've been pondering some more on this since I was about to unbox my rega... instead should I exchange it for a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC (which already has the cart I would want to switch to down the road and put the $200 I'm saving and get the lounge LCR MKIII? would this be a much better listening experience? Or should i just stick with the rega and get the pluto for $80? Opinions please!!

6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

This turntable question is a good example of why it doesn’t hurt to go off topic. Who would have thought changing turntables was an option? Cartridges come and go more than turntables. Keep the better turntable - the P2 - and get a better cartridge later. And don’t waste the cost of a 2M Red. Just get the Blue if that’s where you’re headed.

P.S. From the ART to one of these choices is baby steps. From the stock cartridge to a 2M Blue is meaningful. Just wait and do that.

patient_ot and John Storey like this.
  7. John Storey

John Storey Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good idea. When I took a similar step you are taking now (In terms of the turntable) I insisted on having one with a 2M red, just because I knew it would be cheapest to upgrade to the blue, bronze or black. You may want to consider a similar idea. If you picked up a Debut, you would be able to upgrade cartridges much cheaper, by just purchasing a stylus and not the whole cartridge, saving a few hundreds of dollars if you're upgrading further down the 2M line. I'm going to get a lot of heck for saying this here, but a turntable, in a way does very little in your system. In terms of sound enhancement, amplifiers with make a much more dramatic effect, cartridge included. So I would say spend the money elsewhere, in this case, the phono stage, but that's not to neglect the turntable, but what I'm saying, is when it comes to the Debut vs. Planar 2, the extra $200 may equalize them when it comes to the phono stage, and you will also save money down the road when it comes to upgrading down the 2M road with the Debut since have would already have the 2M cartridge, if that's the path you chose. I will remind you, there have been a lot of discussion on the Deut's tendency to induce a hum in your system. If you're looking for a compromise, may I suggest the RPM1 which is what I have now?

8. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Or you could get a UTurn Orbit Plus and the Lounge if that's what you want. You'll have a nice setup and come out a few dollars ahead.

H8SLKC likes this.
  9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I wouldn't do that, for the reasons @Bob_in_OKC stated.

I'm no Rega fan, and I would still rather have a P2 than any low-end Pro-Ject. Reason being that Pro-Ject quality control and design is atrocious - many of the Debuts and such are hummers/buzzers. Further, the tonearm on the P2 is heavier and likely compatible with a wider range of carts than the very light (6g effective mass!) tonearm on the Debut Carbon.

Additionally, have you heard a 2M Red? Personally I think it is the most overhyped ~$100 ish cart out there today. It's sounds horrible IMHO, sibilant and nasty. One of the reasons it gets hyped so much is because it's OEM on so many Pro-Jects. There is nothing special about it at all IMHO.

As others have emphasized, the difference between inexpensive phono preamps is subtle. It's not going to be a night and day difference like someone may have led you to believe, especially when you have a very, very cheap cart which is what the P2 comes with.

What I would really suggest is sitting tight with what you have and start saving for a better cartridge. When you have ~$200+ to spend on a cart more options open up. then look at phono preamps after.

That said, before you spend a single cent on a cart or phono preamp, look at the rest of your system for improvements. It looks like you are using powered computer speakers, is that correct? If so, look to a get an integrated amp and some better passive speakers. That will make the most dramatic improvement in sound over anything else. I can't believe no one else caught this. This is what happens when people fire off suggestions without looking at equipment profiles or asking what other gear someone has.

Bob_in_OKC and curbach like this.
  10. dbsimon88

Well my these speakers have great reviews and yes I know they could be better, but they are good for the price point and they have bluetooth which makes my gf happy (have to do that, they are bookshelf about 11" tall by 7" wide and 9" deep, we do live in an nyc studio apartment and it's technically her place. I figure I'd use these speakers until I move into a house in 2 years. Remember my main goal is to beat the sound that comes out of these on spotify premium. Hopefully I can do that with this level of equipment. Regarding the preamp since ya'll make it sound pretty negligible I'll go with the pluto, and I'm thinking it will go on sale on black friday at barnes and noble (who would have thought they'd have it).

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There is a certain amount of subjectivity when it comes to what sounds "better". However, most would probably agree that to get vinyl playback in line with digital playback quality wise requires a substantial investment. Upgrading a phono pre to something slightly better isn't going to cut it.

Regarding the speakers, you don't want to hear it but they will have the greatest effect on overall sound quality. I've had a full stereo system in a small east coast apartment - it can easily be done with efficient use of space.

12. dbsimon88

I understand what you’re saying and I thank you for your input but I think you’re missing the mark. I am using the same speakers to listen to Spotify premium as I am with the TT and my goal is to beat the same speakers playing Spotify.

Anyway

I just set up my turntable with the ART DJPRE II that I’m returning just to try the TT out and it was great!! Not quite as good as The Spotify premium versions of the song but I was listening to a captital US Beatles orange pressings to test. Hopefully I’ll notice a difference with a uturn Pluto, but if not I’m still fine know eventually I will get good sound out of this gorgeous animal. Expecting Beatles in mono for Xmas :0)

I previously had a ****ty crosley and a $30 Bluetooth speaker so yeah I’m happy!

bluemooze likes this.
  13. dbsimon88

So I compared th ART DJPRE II and the Pluto is much better the sibilance is also noticeably less. The mani should be coming any day now!
    With regards to cart I think I’m going to go with the Nagaoka -110 as my next move. It seems to be a wonderful entry level and a good upgrade from my Carbon mm.

I am feeling some listening fatigue with the current setup hopefully the mani will help and it’s not just the stock needle..

14. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

You're certainly going about the decision in a good way - listening for yourself. The Nagaoka does get some praise. It seems like it would indeed be a good upgrade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.