Which laserdisc titles are better than the DVD release?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

My friend got a DVD recorder, and he has a laserdisc player. We were wondering if some laserdisc releases have better picture or sound quality than the DVD release. He wants to copy those laserdiscs to DVD-R. Can anyone give me some titles we should be looking for?

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The PCM stereo track on the Criterion Collection version of "The Fisher King" blows away the DD stereo track on the Columbia R1 DVD. It's not just the difference between PCM and DD, either. It sounds like the laserdisc was from a much better source with much better mastering. The difference is not trivial or hard to notice.

Regards,

3. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

I highly recomend the THX version of the wizard of Oz. Also the original WB release of Woodstock with the original movie soundtrack. Best Todd.

4. Ken_McAlinden

If you can find the first MGM DVD of The Wizard of Oz (no extras), its A/V is nearly identical to the THX laserdisc. Some of the earlier MGM and Criterion version of WoO (discussed in other threads here) were created from an IB Technicolor print that has a nice color balance reflecting the look from the 50s re-release, although it has more visible print wear and the contrast isn't as well suited for video as the more recent efforts.

The laserdisc of Fantasia has Deems Taylor's actual voice vs. the Deems Taylor impersonator on the DVD used to recreate the roadshow version where many of the audio stems were lost.

Regards,

5. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

The LDs of:

Peter Pan (NBC-TV, 1960), and
    Magical Mystery Tour

are both **considerably** better than their DVD counterparts (which show significant compression errors and mediocre mastering).

-Kevin

6. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Well, I'd definitely make a copy of the THX non-SE Star Wars discs from the mid-90s, as those will probably never show up on DVD.

Beyond that, the Criterion Chasing Amy has some framing problems on the DVD that are absent on the LD. (Check the scene in the train station -- on the DVD, foreheads are cut off in an ugly way. The funny part is that the commentary, which was ported over from the LD, notes how the framing was off on some prints but correct on the LD!)

Ryan

7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii!

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Magical Mystery Tour (picture is better on DVD, but the LD has a soundtrack that was specially mixed for Dolby Surround by George Martin that is now "lost")
    Mamas & Papas---Straight Shooter (DVD is edited & picture is much worse than the LD)
    Simon & Garfunkel--Concert At Central Park (DVD is out of synch)
    Death Becomes Her (LD is OAR, DVD is P&S)
    The Last Picture Show (extended director's cut on Criterion box set, theatrical version on DVD)

9. Ken_McAlinden

A few more...

• Beatles Anthology - No cheap-looking player-generated subtitles on LD
    • Oliver! - Much better sound mix than DVD captures vintage "mag track" sound - Warning - this title has been known to show laser rot
    • Miller's Crossing - Noticeably less dynamic compression and hiss on LD
    • Scream - Unrated director's cut only on laserdisc
    • Touch of Evil - Theatrical Cut on Laserdisc (4:3 only)
    • Who Framed Roger Rabbit - DVD has censored shots/frames vs. laserdisc
    • Beauty and the Beast (Disney) - Original soundtrack and "rendering" on laserdisc
    • Beauty and the Beast - Work in Progress (Disney) - Pieces differ (such as opening titles) - Warning - this title has been known to show laser rot
    • Lion King - Original "rendering" on laserdisc
    • Toy Story CAV Special Edition - Uncensored Pixar Short (Knick Knack)
    Regards,

paulisdead likes this.
  10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Puhleese!! Aside from the subtitles, this is one of the MOST improved over the LD EVER. Totally new sources for much of the video & audio (just check out Some Other Guy, for example), one of the greatest remixed soundtracks ever (stereo AND 5.1), an extra disc w/ extras (including the missing-from-the-LD Real Love video). The only reason I kept my LD was for the cover & original Pro-logic mix, and because I'm a Beatle fanatic. PLUS the LD cost $150 & the DVD $45!
    This was NOT the theatrical cut, but a new LD only extended version (different from the new "director's cut" DVD).
    Please elaborate. I have both. What's the difference?

11. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have to agree about the LD of Magical Mystery Tour. The music is also in the right places, as in some scenes, it's out of synch with the picture on the DVD....

12. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

Don't forget the Criterion LD of Blade Runner. The only way to get the original (superior, imho) version of the film in widescreen.

13. Ken_McAlinden

re: Knick Knack
    The version of Knick Knack that appeared with the Finding Nemo theatrical and DVD release was altered to substantially reduce the exaggerated large breasts on the mermaid figurine who was the snowman's motivation for wanting to get out of the snow globe.

re: Beatles Anthology
    Agreed, which is why I listed what the issue was specifically. If it doesn't annoy you, it won't annoy you.

re: Touch of Evil
    You are right, although I'm not sure the extended one was "LD only". In any case, it is an alternate version of the movie, which reminds me...
    • The Alamo - Laserdisc has roadshow version of the film
    • It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - Laserdisc has extended version of the film, although it is still substantially different from the roadshow version of the film including missing sequences and alternate takes.
    Regards,

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think some of these posts miss the point of the original question. He asked about LDs with picture and/or sound superior to DVDs. Many of the mentioned titles are helpful for OTHER reasons why someone may prefer the LD versions, but they don't address the original question...

15. Phantom409

Phantom409 New Member

The Elite SE laserdisc version of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is supposedly better than any of the various versions released on DVD - based on knowledgeable testimony, I haven't seen all of the DVD versions out there. Elite used nicer source material.

I have THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN on laserdisc and DVD, as the picture is noticeably better on the ld, due to the source material. (I have the DVD for the great extras.)

I've read that knowledgeable fans of SUSPIRIA were disappointed with various audio flubs on the DVD.

Several "public domain" films got nicer releases on laserdisc than DVD. For instance, ROYAL WEDDING - which was issued by MGM/UA Home Video on laserdisc - and PENNY SERENADE, which was issued by Image. The Lumivision ld release of THE AMAZING MR. X is also preferable - warts and all - to the Alpha DVD release. Lumivision used a pretty battered 35 mm version of this almost noir, starring the ever suave Turhan Bey as a confidence man and photographed by noir master John Alton, but Alpha's DVD is worse.

There are also films inexplicably released full-frame on DVD, when they should have been widescreen as they were on laser: FEARLESS, THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, and BACKBEAT, with FEARLESS being the most compromised.

Re. some of the other posts:
    The version of TOUCH OF EVIL that was released on laserdisc may not have been the original theatrical release, but it was the version I saw several times at college and revival theaters in the mid to late 70s.

The comment about THE FISHER KING looking better on laserdisc was news to me. I was never tempted by the DVD, as I really liked Terry Gilliam's audio commentary on the Criterion laserdisc. That and the Criterion version of THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN are special gems that don't have a big enough fan base (unfortunately!!) to get the SE treatment on DVD.

16. Ken_McAlinden

The laserdisc sounds better. The DVD looks pretty good and is 16:9 enhanced as well.

Regards,

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I would have to recommend the Criterion LD of The Beatles HARD DAY'S NIGHT. The sound is so great, I can not believe how they ruined this title for DVD release.

18. Ken_McAlinden

They both have their flaws, but I agree that the Criterion is the lesser of two evils. If you can find the old MPI DVD, it sounds only a shade worse than the Criterion laserdisc and looks a little better.

The Miramax DVD sounds superior to all of them except for during the performances of Beatles music where it goes in the mono reprocessed to 5.1 crapper. The MPI DVD and Criterion laserdiscs sound not quite as good during the dialog and score sequences, and then drop in the stereo mixes of the Beatles songs, deleting a few foley effects in the process. It's a bummer that they didn't just include the original mono track on the Miramax DVD, which would have made it definitive. :sigh:

Regards,

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I disagree with Last Picture Show. The DVD version is better. Criterion censored Cybill's naked butt in the motel room scene (at her request, apparently). It is restored on the DVD, and was also there on the regular Columbia/Tristar LD.

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

PCM is pretty much guaranteed to sound better than dolby digital. Dolby digital is unnecessary on many DVDs where it is used. PCM should be the standard for stereo, but isn't apparently. Even music video DVD's, for example the recent Erasure and Devo DVDs suffer from a non-PCM soundtrack.

21. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

If you can find the Criterion LD version of Zulu, its soundtrack is in stereo compared to the current DVD which is mono. However, I understand the DVD released in some parts of the world is stereo-Go Figure!:(

22. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

The DTS LD version of Casper is considered by many to be one the best soundtracks ever. As is the same with Saving Private Ryan.

23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've not seen any comparisons of the DTS "Casper" DVD to the LD. As for "SPR", this seems to imply that folks really like the DTS LD. If that's what you meant, you're wrong - there wasn't any DTS LD. "SPR" got a DD release on LD - a DTS one didn't appear until the DVD...

24. Ken_McAlinden

Check out my original post. The difference with The Fisher King audio is way beyond the difference between 192kbps DD 2.0 and PCM. If you want to here a fair comparison between DD and PCM, check out the Criterion DVDs of Silence of the Lambs or Spinal Tap compared to the laserdisc counterparts. The PCM has the advantage in those cases, but it is subtle compared to the difference between the Columbia DVD and the Criterion laserdisc of "The Fisher King". DD does not have to sound that bad.

Regards,

25. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I picked up an LD of Cream over the weekend but haven't checked it out yet. Can anyone comment on the sound quality? I don't think this is one that has made it to DVD yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.