Which Let it Bleed to buy: Decca or Clear Vinyl DSD reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snorker, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

I'm just getting back into vinyl and trying to (re)build my collection. Back in the day I had a London US version of Let it Bleed, and frankly I don't remember what it sounded like, but the consensus on the internet seems to be the UK Decca sounds better. But what about the new clear vinyl reissue?

I've read a lot of the threads on the Stones DSD reissues vs. the UK Deccas, and the Fremer reviews. Seems like the consensus is Beggars Banquet is probably better on the DSD reissue due to the speed-correction, among other things, but what about Let it Bleed? This is my favorite Stones title, so I'm willing to splurge a little to get a UK Decca, and I've had my eye on some on eBay and Discogs that seem to be early, but not necessarily first press based on the matrix umbers and the packaging. These are not mint, but described as "excellent" or VG+. Obviously taking a bit of a gamble on any used records...

So, for those that have (or have heard) both, is it worth spending 3 times the amount for a UK Decca early 70's pressing vs. the new clear vinyl DSD reissue?

Thanks!

2. snorker

Got outbid on a Decca on eBay that went for $100 after shipping from UK to US. That DSD clear vinyl is looking pretty attractive at $20! Anybody think the Decca is worth 5 times as much, strictly in terms of sound quality, not collectibility?

3. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

You're not likely to find a dead mint Decca, so I'd go for the clear DSD (which is a very, very good pressing) and hey, you can always add a Decca later, at the right price when you want, without urgency.

4. snorker

Yeah, good point. Won't hurt to have both eventually. Do you think the Decca has better sound (assuming a near mint, early pressing)? I'm more concerned with sound quality than collectability at this point.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I have all the current clear pressings of The Stones albums that have been issued this way to date. For the most part they sound excellent and the pressing quality is also very good to excellent.

Master_It_Right and Jack like this.
  6. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Based on the UK Decca titles I do have (Aftermath, Buttons, Ya Yas) I expect it to sound quite a bit different from the DSD remasters. The Deccas have an immediacy to them that the new ones don't have. And the pressing and vinyl quality is impeccable. Nothing I have bought in recent years compares. That said, I have original black vinyl pressing of the DSD remaster for Let it Bleed and although I like the sound quite a bit, I felt it was let down by the pressing quality. I now have the HDTracks version of the same mastering and I love it.

Since it is your favorite album I say go for the UK Decca. You will likely love it. But if you have to settle for the DSD, you will still have a very good version, possibly limited only by the pressing quality (which it sounds like they have improved with the clear vinyl).

russk likes this.
  7. snorker

Thanks. I was already sold on Beggars Banquet, but it sounds like it's worth adding some others. Especially at the price, compared to UK originals.

I already have the Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks hybrid SACD's. I assume these sound about the same as the SACD layer? Any point having the vinyl version as well?

8. snorker

Thanks, I'm sure you're right. I know I will eventually feel compelled to get a Decca Let it Bleed as well. I just need to find a clean copy for a decent price. The clear vinyl will probably tide me over for a while though I think.

Had a similar dilemma with Abbey Road, which as you might guess from my avatar is my favorite album. I pulled the trigger on a first press UK, though in that case it seemed an easier sell because the 2012 reissue has not gotten stellar reviews. The mono box on the other hand is fantastic.

SteevG likes this.
  9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The LIB clear vinyl issue is actually not all that bad. I really like my Japanese London LP, but they both sound very dynamic.

Most US Bell cuts(?) of those original London Lps sound awful.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Only from the aesthetic perspective which is why I buy most vinyl (the look of the record itself as well as the album's cover art)...sound wise, I don't feel that you're getting anything on the vinyl that you don't get on the SACD.

Master_It_Right and IanL like this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The UK Decca pressings sound the best to me.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround New Member

I just joined this forum and posted my first question tonight, the very same thing you asked here. So I'll just read all these comments with no need for you all to answer a second time under my thread. Harry

Master_It_Right likes this.
  13. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Try NZ Decca pressings. I was impressed with the copy I got here. Nice sounding. Got it for $10.

14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Will there ever be another all analog let It Bleed??

15. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Depends on how much you like the album, and what you think is too much to spend for an original. The DSD is nice sounding. Is an original worth five times the cost? No if money is tight, the kids need food, or your radiator needs to be replaced next week so you can get to work. Yes if you plan on spending your life with the album in your music room. Only you can weigh the cost difference!

Cassius, TommyTunes, Giorgio and 4 others like this.
  16. RHCD

RHCD Reverend Bong

Where are you seeing the clear vinyls for sale at $20?

NewKidInTown likes this.
  17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have both and I really like the clear vinyl issue. The original is very nice but good luck finding a dead quiet one. As someone mentioned earlier, go for the clear vinyl now and if money and time permits later on, get the original.

John Grimes and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  18. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I've got a black vinyl DSD, and an early press Decca which I got pretty cheap because its worn and crackly. The DSD pressing is really quiet, with a nice detailed sound and good frequency range. But I still prefer the Decca because it has presence that comes through the noise, that is missing from the digital version. Its a more analog experience.

John Grimes and Halloween_Jack like this.
  19. snorker

Amazon has it for $18.34. Musicdirect has it at $21.99.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  20. snorker

I'd probably feel the same. I suspect I'll wind up with both at some point. :)

21. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

The Decca has more presence and mid-range warmth/body. I also have the original black vinyl DSD release and it is good, but a little 'sharper' sounding without such a well defined punchy midrange. A different approach to the album which has its own positives - clarity & a very quiet pressing. I do prefer the Decca though overall for that wonderful midrange. Worth saving up for & hunting down.

John Grimes likes this.
  22. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

My vote is to go clear. At least until you luck out and find a UK locally or from the states from a reputable seller. Not to start a fight, but many here, myself included , have had terrible luck buying classic albums from the UK. Do a search. Over grading, expensive shipping, and poor shipping materials are common. Wait it out and pay more domestically. That's my advice. No offense intended to our UK friends. Hey, stop hitting me. Ouch! Owe. Hey... I'm outta here.

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Does anyone here have the DMM version of Beggars Banquet?

24. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Have the "Clearly Classic" Beggars, LIB, and "Hot Rocks 1964-1971" to my ears they sound great. Could never find an original LIB or Hot Rocks in decent enough shape to bother looking again. I did however, find an original US "Beggars Banquet" in excellent shape though.

25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

If buying used, I can recommend the later 70's UK Decca pressing. Cheaper and perhaps better (or as good) as a 1st pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.