Which music streaming service do you use?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbooboy

mrbooboy Forum Resident

I used Rhapsody for about 6 months; however, it didn't get along with my 3 Squeezebox devices consistently enough for my liking. So I tried the 14-day free trial with MOG and have never looked back. MOG works flawlessly with the SBs and the iTouch app is much better than Rhapsody's (in my opinion). The selection seems comparable between the two.

2. Sandeep725

Sandeep725 Forum Resident

Had a Spotify sub for a few weeks now, listening to a lot more music. It's superb.

3. - KEXP
    - Twitter links to new bands from record co's / stores / artists I follow .

4. macster

macster Forum Resident

NP

You can always stream it from your computers audio/headphone out. I also connect a 3 piece computer speaker system to my laptop when I'm outside and it just rocks the tunes while I'm doing "stuff."

M~

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm surprised that MOG isn't running away with the vote, seeing as it's (AFAIK) the only streaming service that give you 320 kbps even if you don't get their premium service. I'd have thought that for audiophiles, it'd be the only respectable service out there on that basis alone. I tried Spotify first and had a lot of fun with it, but MOG sounds appreciably better.

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Rdio

The Entertainer likes this.
  7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

MOG is most unstable in my setup. Uses the browser and Flash, and any other use of flash (like bringing up a blog with embedded flash ads) crashes the MOG playback every time. So it's no good for background listening on my computers at the moment. Spotify, no problems.

Might have a different opinion if I was using portable equipment or phone, but I don't and basically don't wish to.

8. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

None presently, will probably use Spotify as I hear great things. What's the bitrate generally? (I am fine with 256 and above.)

9. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

+1 (although I had MOG before I tried Spotify). As someone mentioned, Spotify has a much better marketing dept and was a much hyped forbidden fruit long before it was available in the USA. I think that combo explains its popularity. Also, they were giving it away for free and MOG did not have a free service available when Spotify hit our shores.

I always listen to MOG on a Mac or iOS devices, but I am going to try it on a Win7 PC tomorrow to see if I also have issues. My guess is that it will run fine on Chrome, but not sure about Internet explorer.

10. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

in that vast external space I like to call "the world" - in dingy clubs where musicians are playing music, at friends' houses, at concerts, in links in blogs, etc.

wherever there are creative people congregating there will be this thing known as "new music"

I first heard the Ramones on a friend's boom box. I first heard NWA on a friend's turntable. I first heard Marnie Stern in a van on tour. I first heard the Mika Miko at the Smell. I first heard No Age in an art gallery. I first heard The Negro Problem at the Onyx. I first heard Taylor Swift on the Grammys. I first heard Rhianna on something called Black Entertainment Awards or something like that, don't remember the name. I first heard Kool Keith on my friends DJ rig. I first heard the Sex Pistols on my own turntable because I bought it after reading about them. I don't want a computer guessing what I might like based on what else I like.

quicksrt likes this.
  11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

That was me on marketing. And having read this thread, (and seeing they now have a Squeezebox app) I am considering a switch.

However, when I just tried their web site (using IE 9) it didn't work. No response to mouse clicks. Not a good intro.

12. john greenwood

OK - 2 strikes against MOG

I tried Safari, where MOG at least responded to mouse clicks. However every time I tried to create a new account (by e.g. clicking on "Ready to try MOG?" or trying to puurchase a premium account), it simply asked me to log in (either through MOG or Facebook). Now, I do have a Facebook account, which I don't use, but shouldn't it give me the option of creating a new account?

One further question, assuming I am allowed to purchase MOG, how does it compare with Spotify with regard to classical music? For example, on Spotify UMG (DG, Decca, London) prohibits streaming of longer tracks.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I was following you until your last sentence.

14. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I tried MOG on my old PC that I have updated to Win7. It had no issues playing in Safari or internet explorer. I also have a Win7 laptop hooked up to my bedroom setup and it plays without a hitch using Chrome. If you are having issues, I think it is isolated to your computer. I have never had any issues with MOG, so I am not sure if they will help you through the problem.

I signed up for MOG before they had free accounts, but I have never linked it to Facebook and I have no intention to do so.

15. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I did a lot of these things when I was young, so I understand where you're coming from. But services like Rhapsody, and to a lesser extent Spotify, have taken this to a whole new level imo. The ability to sample dozens of new albums a week, in different genres, at my convenience beats out whatever I did when I was kid. I also had a lot more free time to explore back then, but in my busy work day now I need something more efficient to get my new music fix.

As for your last sentence, that describes Pandora but not other streaming services, imo. I don't use Pandora often, nor Genius or Amazon's "we recommend this!". I just sample new music coming in and find what I like.

16. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

None. If I were to use anything, it would be Pandora, but I haven't used that in about three years.

17. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I was lucky enough to sign up for Spotify Free before they linked with Facebook. I don't need to share what I might be listening to with acquaintances who could care less. I also don't like "forced synergy" with social media. If I want to link them, it should be an option not the rule.

18. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

According to the MOG sign up webpage, you can sign up with an email address OR Facebook. I doesn't appear that they require a Facebook account.

I did sign up with Spotify using a source I found on this website that required Facebook info (this was back when it first came to the US and required an invite). I have only used Spotify a couple of times, but it has never posted to my Facebook page and the vendor (which I can't even remember the name) has never bugged me.

19. edvj

edvj Forum Resident

20. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

I use Rdio, as much as people tend to go on and on about spotify I found it not nearly as conducive to listening to whole albums.

21. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

Rdio. Really like their controls and overall interface

22. PaulE

PaulE Forum Resident

I have tried most of the streaming services fairly extensively now and IMO the Rdio interface is way ahead of the competition. Everything is intuitive and it just works. The only feature it is missing is the ability to upload your own music (Google All Access has this feature). It also doesn't really have add ons like Spotify does. Other than this it is great. They are supposedly re-coding all of their content to 320 kbps at the moment from the previous 192 kbps. I use both the web and mobile apps.

The only thing that concerns me about Rdio is that they may not survive into the future, so I am wary about spending lots of time getting my library exactly the way I want it. Spotify and Apple/Beats will probably win this race ,which is a shame as the Spotify interface is terrible for people who listen primarily to albums and want to set up an artist based library with full albums. The recent changes to Spotify partially rectified the lack of Artist>Album>Track hierarchical menus, but it is still a fairly terrible implementation. There are currently too many streaming services and I fear that Rdio will be a casualty in the end. I hope I am wrong.

23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I have no issues playing or finding full albums on Spotify. :shrug:

Billy Infinity and nbakid2000 like this.
  24. john greenwood

Do any of them handle classical in a rational, consistent fashion? Preferably one that doesn't treat each movement as a separate song.

Eyesoftheworld likes this.
  25. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Spotify at work, all the time, every day. And in my car. It's great. No idea what the comment above means re: difficult to listen to whole albums. That's probably 90% of what I do with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.