Which musio-documentaries are worth seeing?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockindownthehighway, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested Thread Starter

I just got a copy of "The Rolling Stones in Exile." I have not had a chance to sit down and watch it yet but it occurred to me it has been a long time since I thought about the topic of documentaries about groups whether famous or not. Also somewhat related stuff like that movie that The Who put out. I guess there may have been a couple but I was not a big fan of theirs so I don't remember.

How about mentioning your suggestions for these two categories? Which ones are "must see?"

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Crossfire Hurricane -- loved it.

davidb1 and All Down The Line like this.
  3. rockindownthehighway

What's that one about?

4. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Running Down a Dream

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Read my mind an absolute beauty!

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Mylene, J Madden, sloaches and 2 others like this.
  7. rockindownthehighway

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

When it is not obvious, please include some info about which music group or performer the documentary is about.

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Aerosmith- Making of Pump
    About the recording of their 1989 blockbuster Pump album. They filmed everything while making the doc so it shows you the process of recording an album.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Songmakers-Collection-Burt-Bacharach/dp/B00005O7N6

Several of rock and pop music's best and most important early songwriters, along with some stellar performers, are profiled on The Songmakers Collection, a two-DVD set culled from five separate episodes of the A&E Network's Biography series. The centerpiece is "Hitmakers: The Teens Who Stole Pop Music," a 90-minute documentary about the many writers who worked side-by-side in New York's legendary Brill Building in the '50s and '60s. It's a fascinating story, featuring duos like Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, and Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfield, nearly all of them Jewish kids from Brooklyn who were at ease writing classic tunes for black and white artists alike. The tale is told in standard documentary style, via interviews past and present, photos, extensive film footage, and, of course, lots of music.​

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"The Devil And Daniel Johnston"
    "Fishbone- Everyday Sunshine"
    "The Residents- Theory Of Obscurity"
    and
    "The Flaming Lips- The Fearless Freaks"
    ...oh,
    and "DIG!"

Grunge Master and Kevin j like this.
  11. I like these two. They are not perfect...none of them are, but they certainly do not disappoint.
    The History of Rock N' Roll: This is a ten hour, multi disc set. (ISBN: 0-7907-9458-6)
    No Thanks! The '70's Punk Rebellion: This is also a multi disc set (put out by Rhino)

I have found most music oriented documentaries to be okay at the worst. While some of them are done much better than others if you have an interest in the music, or artist, you will probably find something enjoyable in them.

12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I think Status Quo did the same thing with "The Party Ain't Over Yet" in 2005, which also includes lots of bonus stuff. I haven't seen it yet. However, their "Hello Quo!" documentary from a few years later is a nice watch, including comments from other famous musicians such as Jeff Lynne, Jim Lea or Brian May.

13. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

14. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

I'm biased of course... but this is a well-made doc about a band whose story is not as widely known as most.

[​IMG]

15. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

The Rolling Stones.

16. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Super Duper Alice Cooper was entertaining.

[​IMG]

17. All Down The Line

Deep Blues - RS Journo Robert Palmer track down Jr Kimbrough and others.

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Rock School.

A documentary about a year at the Paul Green School of Rock Music in Philadelphia. It follows the beginning students doing a Black Sabbath show, intermediate students doing an 80s Show and the very best students in the school traveling to Bad Doberon Germany to play at the annual Frank Zappa Festival.

Tragically, after they started filming, the Jack Black movie School of Rock was released, and when it finally came out, the public thought it was the same movie, and the documentary closed in a single weekend.

I saw it on a Friday, and took my niece to see it Saturday and that was the start of my shooting concerts by various locations of the School of Rock.

realkilroy and Duke Fame like this.
  19. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I watched the Quincy Jones documentary ("Quincy") on Netflix the other night, I thought it was fantastic. Excellent job getting across his personality and approach to life, and a great introduction to his work, though in that department it could only really scratch the surface.

20. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

BeatleJWOL and audiomixer like this.
  21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

audiomixer likes this.
  22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:laugh:

23. All Down The Line

Don't Look Back

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Another classical documentary, Stephen Fry's Wagner and Me explores his love of Wagner's music, and how conflicted he feels as a Jew about Wagner's anti-Semitism and association with Nazi Germany.

25. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

This one is maybe not so much a "music / band" documentary as an uplifting personal tragedy / redemption story...
    the journey of former NY Dolls bassist Arthur 'Killer' Kane from obscurity and addiction to finding religion (he became a Mormon) and his eventual reluctant participation in the 2004 Dolls reunion... made more poignant by the fact he passed away shortly after the film was made. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

Tanx, oskaraleman, Lonecat and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.