Which of these is the best choice for a decent turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fleet Fox, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's a 5 hour round trip to Blackrock for me but it'll be worth it if need be

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Get the new Planar 3 from your local Rega dealer. It's a great deck and much nicer than any previous P3 model (there have been 4 previous generations), making this Planar 3 2017 a significant improvement and not to be confused with earlier models.
    -Bill

Guildx500, PhxJohn and Fleet Fox like this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

With family from Skibbereen Waterford is within my Irish geographical knowledge, I had to look Blackrock up, but I'd say make that trip, personally I think you'll love the Rega, but also have a listen to it in a better system so you know what your deck is capable of if you do decide to upgrade your amp and speakers in the future, I should warn you this hi fi thing can become quite addictive and very enjoyable. :righton:

Fleet Fox likes this.
  4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

JoeSmo and Fleet Fox like this.
  5. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Planar 2 wayyyy overpriced.

Fleet Fox likes this.
  6. JoeSmo

JoeSmo SL1200 lover....

Have to hand it to Rega, their marketing and market penetration is superb. It is not the better deck by a country mile.

Robert C likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Check out what's actually available new in Ireland, the OP has very limited choice and unless he takes the risk of buying sight unseen from abroad, risks damage in transit and then tries to work out how to set it up properly the Rega is almost certainly the best choice within his budget and I'm not a Rega fanboy.

JoeSmo and KT88 like this.
  8. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

My advice is talk to your official dealer and see if they have (or are getting) anything within budget used or ex-demo. Always support your local dealer if you can. The support and peace of mind should be well worth any additional outlay and/or wait for the right thing to come up at the right price.

If the new P3 is too much money, have you considered a new P2?

I wouldn't go anywhere near either of those eBay 'tables personally...

PhxJohn likes this.
  9. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I'd go Rega, or anything new. What other TTs are sold around there?

Fleet Fox likes this.
  10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

This might be of some use to the OP:

Fleet Fox likes this.
  11. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

My main deck, a 1200MK2 was in far worse shape than the one pictured when I bought it many years ago with no warranty. I have four others which were obtained in better condition. Years later, it's still my main deck. That's the thing about these decks. Someone has to literally throw them out of the back of a fast moving semi to take them out. And you're being offered a year warranty... If it doesn't work as soon as you plug it in, send it back. Otherwise, it will probably outlive you. It also lends itself to easily fully reversible sonic modifications. Tailor to your taste, including possibly, a Rega arm.

Edit: I should add, I also own and like my Thorens belt-drive deck. It's not as speed stable as my Technics but I do like it and will most likely get a motor upgrade for it. I prefer both to the Rega's... but that's a personal thing, as all things usually are.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    dpg3, englishbob and Fleet Fox like this.
  12. Fleet Fox

13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

No, it's quite old and in my opinion overpriced, not that that's the sellers fault it being an auction, you're better off buying a brand new one than that, Regas have moved on a lot in thirty years even if they use the same numbering, taking the cartridge out of the equation that deck is worth £150-£200 in the real world, eBay prices are getting silly.

Robert C likes this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

You'd also have to spend more on a phono stage if you get a MC cart.

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Get a new P3. Best sound of options listed and less grief if you buy locally. The new P3 is way better than the earlier models which I thought sounded nothing special. Also get a decent phono stage.

PhxJohn likes this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Fleet Fox likes this.
  17. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

18. I'd go with the Technics. Tried and true all the way!

dpg3, englishbob and JoeSmo like this.
  19. Fleet Fox

Thanks for that , they look cool, but considering the extra cost of a cartridge fitted and postage to Ireland (not to mention a phono amp
    that i also need) it probably wouldn't work oout too much cheaper than the dealer in Dublin who will have P3 for 625 pound (717 euro).
    Even so I have PM'd them asking for more info.
    After the horror stories I have read about shipping turntable I'd rather collect it if it all possible :)

dpg3 and Classicrock like this.
  20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Collecting in person is always best, but the original packaging for almost all turntables is well designed for long distance travel, so I wouldn't worry about buying anything new in proper packaging, I've sent a JBE deck to Australia and a pair of Technics to Scandinavia without any damage, the usual problem is sellers either not having original packaging and or not removing the platter, securing the arm, screwing the plinth down if applicable or protecting the lid, you can imagine the damage a lose metal platter causes flying around inside a box.:realmad:

Fleet Fox likes this.
  21. Fleet Fox

22. Fleet Fox

He said he could do the whole lot including cartridge phone mini amp and postage for 600 pounds English,,sounds like a good deal??

23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

If this is your Dublin dealer (rather than a used one) and he is offering the P3', Elys and Fono Mini for £600 that sounds a bargain. Retail should be £710/715. In my view, the more expensive Fono MM is worth the £100 extra (I traded up on hearing both on a P3), but the Mini will do you nicely if you don't want to stretch. If you are picking up a P3 anyway you could ask to demo both phonos in store before deciding, if the store has both. If its the £449 used one, with a new cart and the Fono Mini, you are basically getting the phono at a big discount. If that's the case, I would check a package price with your dealer first e.g. £675 in Euros.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    JoeSmo likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

You should be looking at something better. Rega Fono MM, MF V90-LPS, MF LX2-LPS, Schiit Mani, Edwards Audio Apprentice MkII, NVA phono 1 (or better). The best sounding of this lot is likely the NVA though a bit more costly.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Which cartridge, if it's the Elys 2 then that's a very good deal, as for the phono stage I agree with what others are saying, but as you are on a tight budget I think the Phono Mini will definitely do the job for now and if down the road you want to upgrade it you will get most of your money back and won't take much of a hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.