Which Pink Floyd masterings have I got?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveM, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveM

SteveM Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the following:

DSOTM - cat no. 7243 8 29752 2 9 / jewel case / CDEMD 1064 below barcode "Printed In The UK"

"Made In Holland Digital remasters P 1992".....c 1994 EMI Records Ltd" on disc with prism design on it.
    The booklet mentions Doug Sax "supervised" by Guthrie etc.

I'm confused by the Holland / UK references. Is the artwork the Uk part and the disc itself Dutch? I've looked up the Pink Floyd website that lists all the CD's and different masterings but this combo doesn't appear anywhere in the list?

Is this Sax remaster or when was it done and by whom?

Wish You Were Here - cat no. 7243 8 29750 2 1 / jewel case / CDEMD 1062 below barcode "Printed In Italy"

"Made In Italy Digital remasters P 1992".....c 1994 EMI Records Ltd" on disc with flame design on it.
    The booklet mentions Doug Sax "supervised" by Guthrie etc.

More consistency here: at least both disc and rear art state "made in Italy".

I have the same question with this one concerning the date / person responsible for the mastering?

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

As it says right there in the booklet, your CD's are indeed the Doug Sax remasters. The (P) date of 1992 is because they were first used in the Shine On box.

3. SteveM

I've read elsewhere in this forum that the UK / European CD's used an earlier mastering (by mistake?) and not the Doug Sax ones? That is why I'm questioning if anyone knows which mastering these particular issues have.

4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

This looks like your DSOTM:

http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DNLCDPF.htm#DSOTM94

And your WYWH:

http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DItCDPF.htm#WYWH94

To find out if these use the Sax/Guthrie mastering, just go to the US discographies portion of Vernon's site and compare the peak levels between your CDs and the US remasters. Easier said than done.

This looks like the mastering source for your DSOTM CD:

11) Mastering Number 11 – EMI (Uden) mastering for the European market – EMI revision level 4

Track Peak Levels: Track Peak Levels: 87.8 / 94.7 / 100 / 97.2 / 100 / 99.1 / 97.7 / 93.9 / 97.7

In 2002, EMI began manufacturing all its CDs for the European market, including all U.K. releases, at its plant in Uden, Netherlands. The new pressings are noted on the outside as E.U. (European Union) releases. And the latest release of Dark Side of the Moon produced in Uden has yet another mastering. This could possibly be EMI revision level four for those of you keeping count!

Known releases of mastering #11:

Argentina - EMI Records 1994 reissue, catalog number 7243 8 29752 2 9

China - EMI China, catalog number A3109, the Chinese release of Dark Side of the Moon on CD in 2005 used this mastering

Italy - 1994 rematered issue (current issue)

European Union - EMI Records, catalog number 7243 8 29752 2 9, IFPI code in matrix is AAH

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your DSOTM:

http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DEUCDPF.htm#DSOTM95

And your WYWH:

http://pinkfloydarchives.com/DEUCDPF.htm#WYWH94

Unfortunately your CDs are not the Sax/Guthrie masterings. Both look like European Union issues. Your WYWH CD is the same mastering as the "Oh By The Way" box set version.

This info was lifted from Vernon's site as well as this thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...oon-cd-mysteries-of-the-cd-masterings.157190/

Hope this helps.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  5. SteveM

Yes, it does help. Many thanks for your time and effort! You've confirmed my thoughts on this that they are not Sax remasters. I listened to both the other day through headphones and they both sound pretty bad, much worse than I remembered them. That is why I asked the question about which early mastering they are.

One thing that is still not clear though, my DSOTM does not say "Made In EU" on it. It is made in Holland and has "1-6-22-NL" on the centre rim of the disc itself. I can't find anywhere on the webpage (which I had previously checked through) where it is listed.

Presumably if I pick up the 2011 remasters of both of these titles I should get a whopping improvement in sound then?

Thanks again!

6. moops

moops Senior Member

I guess it depends on what you're looking for as far as a whopping improvement.
    Have either of these albums ever really sounded bad on CD anyway ?
    And also, many here are quite fond of the older Floyd masterings, so it's just different strokes.

This may help ....... http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...tered-in-europe-my-empirical-analysis.231317/

7. SteveM

Yes, the two I have! When comparing them to other CD's, the sound is very thin, harsh and grainy. They are un-dynamic and weak sounding and appeared to be slightly veiled. They are also slightly "cramped" in terms of soundstaging compared to other albums. I can't believe anyone would listen to what I'm hearing and say they prefer it to a more modern mastering. I used to own both albums on vinyl and even way back when I had much lesser quality equipment to what I have now, I remember both these albums sounding really superb and significantly better than this. The link provided is the same info' as posted earlier. The CD's I have are not listed there. Maybe they're ultra-rare oddities? ;)

8. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

What I liked best about the 2011 remaster campaign was that it put those fourteen Floyd studio albums on a level playing field. The worst of the bunch (and I couldn't even pick one) was at least really really good, and the most dramatically-improved of the bunch (Animals?) was superb.

And someone out there brand new to Pink Floyd could do a lot worse than picking up any of these easy-to-find 2011 titles.

SteveM likes this.
  9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Guys, I just acquired a sealed copy of More. Im wondering which press it is.
    Catalog # SW-11198
    It has a capitol records sticker in the top right corner. Gold numbered promo stamp in top left corner.
    Everything Ive seen on the archive site has the promo stamp in upper right corner, with a different number.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.