Which Rolling Stones era is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

“Hands down, Brian Jones remains [the Stones] best musician,” a music critic for the Dallas Morning News once wrote. “His eclecticism was amazing, whether on sitar, slide guitar, percussion or just about any other instrument. His contributions in shaping the group's sound cannot be overstated.” It’s hard to argue with that assessment. As The Rolling Stones’ founder and initial leader, Jones gave the band its original identity, based foremost on his devotion to American blues music.

Jones’ love of Elmore James, Robert Johnson and other blues giants was boundless, and the depths to which he assimilated their influences shined brightly in his slide work and his harmonica playing. (It was he who taught Mick Jagger how to play harp.) Nothing musically-related was beyond his grasp, and his expertise on a variety of instruments was essential in the expansion of the Stones’ stylistic palette. The guitar riff on “The Last Time”? His. The sitar on “Paint It, Black”? His. The harpsichord on “Lady Jane”? His. And on it goes.

Such eclecticism was especially evident on 1966’s Aftermath, and 1967’s Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request. Perhaps most importantly, during their time together, Jones and Keith Richards perfected a new type of guitar interplay. Dubbed “guitar weaving” by Richards, that six-string tangle – wherein lead work and rhythm work have no clear boundaries – has remained integral to the Stones’ sound ever since.

Arthur Green, sami and Dave Hoos like this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

“Jones’ departure pretty much stripped the Stones of the diverse experimentalism they had enjoyed, the occasional exotic world beat flourishes that often elevated what would otherwise have been pedestrian songs," wrote music scribe Vincent Rodriguez. "Without him, though, they refined their unique fusion of R&B, blues and rock, which gradually evolved into the classic ‘Stones sound’ they had perfected by Exile on Main Street.”

Indeed, in tandem with Keith Richards, the man most responsible for perfecting that sound was Mick Taylor. Coming on-board as Jones’ replacement, at age 20, Taylor helped the Stones usher in a period marked by a deepening assimilation of blues, R&B and country. Putting aside their brief infatuation with psychedelia, the band released a series of monumental albums that, to this day, remain essential touchstones for any aspiring rock band.

Beginning with his work on the single, “Honky Tonk Women,” Taylor offered up lyrical guitar lines that ratcheted the Stones’ blues foundation to new levels. It’s no accident that Exile on Main Street, widely considered the Stones’ masterpiece, was made during Taylor’s tenure. Speaking to Rolling Stone in a 1995 interview, Jagger offered his assessment of Taylor’s role. “I think he had a big contribution,” Jagger said. “He made it very musical. He was a very fluent, melodic player, which we never had, and we don't have now. Neither Keith nor Ronnie Wood plays that kind of style. It was very good for me working with him. Mick Taylor would play very fluid lines against my vocals. He was exciting ….”

Writing in the wake of Taylor’s decision to leave the Stones, New York Times music critic Robert Palmer said, “Taylor is the most accomplished technician who ever served as a Stone. [He is] a blues guitarist with a jazzman's flair for melodic invention.”

joethomas1, sami, Dave Hoos and 2 others like this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mick Taylor’s departure in 1974 left big shoes to fill. The Stones auditioned several potential replacements, including Peter Frampton and American session guitarist Wayne Perkins. In the end, however, they made an impeccable choice in the person of Ron Wood. While still a member of Faces, Wood toured with the Stones in 1975, and was declared an official member in February 1976.

New Musical Express hailed the choice, writing, “In the Rolling Stones, Wood plays the slide guitar as Taylor and Brian Jones had done before him, adding both lap steel and pedal steel guitar. In addition, Wood, as his predecessors did, exchanges roles on the guitar with Richards, often blurring the boundaries between rhythm and lead, even within a particular song. He also occasionally plays bass guitar, as seen during 1975 concert performances of ‘Fingerprint File,’ when Mick Jagger played rhythm guitar and bassist Bill Wyman moved to synthesizer.”

Inevitably, given his multi-decade tenure with the band, Wood has seen the Stones release the occasional “clunker.” Still, there’s no disputing that he’s been integral to some of the group’s finest work. Such albums as Some Girls, Tattoo You and Steel Wheels uplifted the Stones’ reputation as “The World’s Greatest Rock and Roll Band,” and the Richards-Woods twin-guitar attack remains a force like no other. It’s hard to imagine that such varied fare as “Miss You,” “Start Me Up” and “Beast of Burden” would sound remotely the same without Wood’s presence.

http://www2.gibson.com/news-lifesty...ch-rolling-stones-era-was-best-1113-2012.aspx

worldwidewarhol likes this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    The Mick Taylor years! :edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs: However, I listen to all eras.

5. 905

905 Senior Member

Jones then Taylor and then Ron. Love all the eras, Stones are probably my favorite.

Clanceman and warewolf95 like this.
  6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

As I've stated elsewhere, I love every era pretty equally.

If a gun was to my head, though, I'd have to say 62-74 as being my infallible era. I pretty much love almost every single thing in that 12 year span of recorded time. :)

That being said, Mick Taylor is my favorite Stones guitarist. I've always simply loved his fluid style of playing that fit so damn well with the early '70s Stones.

Clanceman and John Fell like this.
  7. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Beggar's Banquet through Exile On Main Street

audiotom, Live67 and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  8. JohnnyQuest

I feel so guilty for voting for the Mick Taylor years. :cry: Brian lost by a hair.

ex_mixer likes this.
  9. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'll take one selection from each choice on the menu and roll my own combination platter.

10. zen

zen Senior Member

MKI

11. JohnnyQuest

It's pretty much a win/win/win. :thumbsup:

arthurprecarious and Sean like this.
  12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

black n blue thru dirty work ie: ron

stef1205, Sean and duggan like this.
  13. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

In the order you have them. Brian best, then Mick then Ron.
    Think we've discussed this a few times before. But the discussions are always interesting and usually someone links a youtube video to bolster their opinion.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  14. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

1965-68.

Heads through Beggar's

15. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Obviously strong arguments can be made for an innovator like B. Jones , or a fluid player like M. Taylor, but at this point, R. Wood has been the man for 75% of the band's history. Longevity counts.

tspit74 and Clanceman like this.
  16. JohnnyQuest

Those are posted for examples of the guitar work and to represent the era.:tiphat:

17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Brian Jones era for sure for me , but a couple of the Mick Taylor albums (and years ) are pretty spiffy also. :D

gregorya and theMess like this.
  18. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Brian Jones era for singles

Mick Taylor era for albums

Ronnie Wood era for ... :shake:

19. Davido

uh, longevity.

Clanceman likes this.
  20. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Too long :(

21. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Mick Taylor era, though for me it ends with Goats Head Soup, which I love. It's Only Rock n Roll just isn't much to my ears and they made several better albums with Ronnie. The Brian Jones years are just singles and the odd other song here and there for me.

22. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

Brian Jones era for me, although the Mick Taylor era was very strong for three albums. The Ron Wood era has been one long wind-down. The older those records get, the more I appreciate Jones' whimsical and clever contributions to the band. Trading him in for Taylor gained them a jam-oriented guitarist, which worked for awhile. But they lost a lot of other things with Brian. I wonder what the Stones would have sounded like in the 70's if Brian had remained alive and functional?

Dave Hoos and skydropco like this.
  23. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

I'll pick everything The Stones did up to say Black & Blue, maybe at a pinch Some Girls.
    I think that covers all 3. But if pushed it would have to be Jonesy......

24. Davido

Ouch. Who do you want to replace Ronnie Wood...? That could be a rhetorical question.

25. JohnnyQuest

Disco riffs? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.