Which Rolling Stones era is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The Mick Taylor era was the most melodic with his extended guitar solos IMO. Unfortunately I never saw Brian Jones, but his was the classic Stones era. I saw the band with Ronnie starting in 75 and have seen them 8-10 since and will see them again this June. The Rolling Stones, for me, is the 1960s bands that have continued on despite personal differences. I don't think they've outstayed their welcome or lost a step when it comes to playing live.

davers likes this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

That would explain your feelings toward Kanye. :p At least we can find a common ground with the Stones. Lol
    Black and Blue sounds like a rushed album without a sense of identity. If we're being honest.....:hide:

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the Sixties output.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

and too expensive...

5. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Oh yes, The Laughing Gnome really is wonderful.

6. JohnnyQuest

Please don't remind me. :shake:

duggan likes this.
  7. botley

botley Forum Resident

Yes, because the band still plays all those amazing songs from those eras today, and in revisiting them through live performance -- often with better production values than the old records, especially with better guitar tuning, usually more consistent and enjoyable tempos, and sometimes even more exciting performative moments -- it absolutely respects and pays tribute to those amazing years without diminishing their achievements in any way. I can listen to Ron Wood play the hell out of the old Stones records that he (like all of us) grew up hearing on the radio, lending his own special touch to them, for the rest of my life. Plus all of the amazing catalogue that has come since.

8. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

This was a tough call , and any poll like this is bound to be a but unfair to Ron Wood, who got the rather short straw luck of the draw.

Brian Jones created the band and was the heart and soul of it until he started falling apart.
    I had to go with the Mick Taylor Stones simply because he did the sacrilegious act of daring to try to replace Brain Jones and actually pulled it off and seen the band through their best period.
    BUT.... the Taylor era Stones also happened at a time when multi track recording was perfected and studio gear had taken a big leap, so not all of it was because of Mr Taylor being in the band, much of it was due to the quality of the recordings.

Sadly, the bands best songwriting was before the late 70s, so Ron Wood has been with the band during what has mostly been a less creative period, and during the time when the quality or music production has declined to apparently conform to modern trends.

I really think had Ron Wood joined the Stones when Mick Taylor did instead of Taylor those years for the Stones would have been equally as successful.

Also, during the Brian Jones Stones the band learned songwriting and honed their skills.
    The songwriting was better during the Taylor era. Mr Taylor definitely had the luck of the draw in his favor.

davers and johnnybrum like this.
  9. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

Brian Jones era. Because I'm old.

duggan likes this.
  10. JohnnyQuest

This was a close one between Brian and Mick. Ron is on the sidelines watching the showdown. :p

11. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Brian Jones

My favorite area of the Stones is 1966-67.......ranging from the 19th Nervous Breakdown single/Aftermath/Between The Buttons/Flowers/Satanic Majesties Request.

12. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Dear Rockledge.
    You and me have disagreed many times on this forum.
    I feel I have to say to you, that your post is very-well written, well argumented and that I find everything in your post, true. I simply couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks mate! :)

13. johnHS

johnHS Forum Resident

Definitely the Mick Taylor era for me. I'd say the 68-74 years are my favorite. After that it's bits and pieces of Some Girls and Tattoo You.

14. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I like it all prior to Tattoo You, but I would say Mick Taylor era if I had to pick one. I crank Let It Bleed to 11 every time I play it. Brian Jones era is a close second because I love Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet.

15. sami

sami Mono still rules

Can't vote unless there's an option to vote for both the Brian and Mick years. I won't choose between those two, and I wouldn't want to be without either one. The Woody years did give us solid records through 1981, but even the highlights pale next to what came before.

JDeanB likes this.
  16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I wouldn't totally agree that if Wood had replaced Taylor the results would have been exactly similar. Yes, some of the same songs might he been written but it is doubtful Wood would have worked with Jagger to come up with tracks like Moonlight Mile, Time Waits For No One, Winter, Sway or added the Can't You Hear Me Knocking coda.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Aftermath likes this.
  17. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Jones era, but only by a hair from Taylor... I really had to think about it... 'Jones' version probably had the best singles, but 'Taylor' version had the best albums...

The Wood era is light years behind...Not the same band at all.. And I certainly don't blame Ron f0r that...

18. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

[​IMG] ... the Mick Taylor Era for me by many moonlight miles.

John Fell likes this.
  19. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

The R&B evangelists, and then the innovative, experimental band giving the Beatles a run for their money..........did not long survive its founder. They became, not an inferior band, but a very different one.

For all your faults, God bless you Brian.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I still listen to Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile more than any other Rolling Stones albums.

razerx and 1970 like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Brian Jones era. Sticky Fingers is sounding more and more dated to me each year. The raw fun and hunger of those early hits just cant be beat.

22. The era from Their Satanic Majesties Request through Sticky Fingers plus Some Girls.

23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

First ought to be this period of the four classic albums, 68 to 72, in my view. What they were building up to and never matched since.

Then the early days of 63-66.

Followed by the Some Girls/Tattoo You years.

Not much since then, bar Steel Wheels.

24. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

68-72 all the way :cool:

25. davers

davers Forum Resident

I chose the Ronnie era as my current fave, with Steel Wheels being the upper bookend. I totally get the greatness and love for the earlier eras, it's just that I listen to the '76 - '89 stuff most these days.

I think I'll spin Undercover this evening...a great rocker for a Saturday night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.