which series of blackadder do you like the most?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by redfloatboat, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident Thread Starter

its really difficult isn't it?
    i don't think the first will get any votes.

2. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Second for me.

3. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Three by a mile.

Hugh Laurie as the Prince Regent is fantastic casting.

guy incognito and swedgin like this.
  4. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

In order:
    Series 2
    Series 4
    Series 1 & 3

That opening scene of "Bells", series 2 first episode is hysyerical. It set the tone for the rest of the series. I think the first series was really a "feeling their ground" effort. IIRC, the first series was actually a co-production with Channel 7 Australia following the popularity of Not the Nine O'Clock News here. The second series is my favourite and every episode is quite funny. I felt in series 3 that they lost their way somewhat but they were back in form with the fourth and final series.

5. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

series 4 was the best ! not as funny but it was very good to watch

6. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

NO MONEY RETURN'D

Love 'em all but S3 is tops for me.

7. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident Thread Starter

i know it gets mentioned a lot, but that final scene in series 4 still gives me the chills. its quite emotional isn't it?
    i haven't voted yet as i can't decide.
    the second series was on the telly tonight actually. the one where edmond was given the job as executioner. also starred mr ploppy and mrs ploppy, no relation!

8. DDTM

DDTM Well-Known Member

Difficult? Impossible. I voted for series 1, just because of your OP. :D;) But also because I love the gloomy, morbid medieval atmosphere of the original series. Blackadder, throughout its four series/seasons never sagged. Not one bad episode.

ganma likes this.
  9. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

Four was the most consistent overall. Its only weakness is lord flasheart but fortunately he only makes a brief appearance.

I am not sure why the first series draws such negative reviews. The episode where Edmund becomes archbishop is comedy genius.

10. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

Oh yeah

11. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Very difficult to choose! I do lean towards season 4 as my favourite though.

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Three. Mostly because he was the only source of sanity in an insane world.

Two works well with him being the most venal and sociopathic, but usually losing. (TV is mostly more comfortable with the Frank Underwood scenario, where the bad guy seems to improbably always win) Two lets him hog the spotlight more, but I appreciate the imaginative writing on Three more.

Four has lots of great moments, but it does tend to get more than a bit preachy at time, and I really don't find Darling's name all that funny, no matter how often they repeat it. Instead of making fun of society as a whole, they narrow their focus to just the military, which gets a bit tiresome.

One is awkward, of course, but you hafta crawl before you run. And, yeah, the archbishop episode is clearly the highlight.

Easy-E likes this.
  13. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

There is also some themes of social stratification explored - George is clearly from a moneyed background while Baldrick is from peasant stock. These facts basically form their characters.

14. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Season 3 by a mile. I never cared for 1 much at all.

15. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

16. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Flasheart steals it. I love 1 as well, underrated. Archbishop of Canterbury, queen of Spain's beard etc. genius.

17. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

For me it's between the 2nd and 3rd but Hugh Laurie tips the scale in the 3rd's favour...

18. blueEyedSoul

blueEyedSoul Active Member

Series 4 is the one I'm most likely to watch again.

19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

4 for me as well. It was actually the one I saw first, then I went back and watched the rest. 2 would be a close second.

And of course Blackadder's Christmas Carol gets watched every year at my house.

20. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

4 was the weakest for me. 1 was a bit of a grower. 2 is probably the classic, but 3 excellent too. For me -

21. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

The first one because it told the truth about Richard III being a sweet, kind uncle to his nephews, exposing the lies of William Shakespeare.

22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Gotta be....

[​IMG]

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

As well as Christmas Carol, they did a really good Comic Relief special back in about 1988(ish) called "The Cavalier Years" which had some of the best one liners of the whole series. Worth checking out on Youtube.

mmars982 likes this.
  24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Season 4 was the best.

I think Season 1 is funnier if you are familiar with Brian Blessed's more serious roles prior to the show airing.

Easy-E likes this.
  25. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Definitely series 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.