Which Songs For Young Lovers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sandmountainslim1, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz Thread Starter

I'm looking to pick up a vinyl Sinatra SFYL and trying to decide between the 1954 10" and the 12" combo which also has Swing Easy. I already have the combo on CD and I have the screwed-up 1962 Swing Easy LP which has the songs in the wrong order and songs that do not belong on it mixed in. Is there any difference in the mastering between the 1954 issue and the combo and is either of them more desirable from a collectible point of view. Thanks for any replies. If I buy the 12" I will probably take my 1962 Swing Easy and trade it in to the record store because I really don't like listening to that version.

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Avoid the individual expanded 12" versions, like you have...they come from the wrong tapes, which have additional echo/unneeded eq. Capitol W-587, which combines both albums on a single 12" LP, comes from the same correct drier tapes as used for the 10" LPs. W-587 was available through the early '60's, before the expanded version came out (they have 1960 catalog #'s, but came out in 1962). The Mobile Fidelity LP from 1983 also used these correct tapes, but was only available within the box set the issued then (you may occasionally see one for sale from a broken up box, etc.). There is also a Japanese LP from the '80's where the correct tapes were used. The recent individual 10" LP reissues come from the correct tapes.

BTW - If the CD you have is not the "MFP" label one from EMI UK, it also does not come from the correct tapes. The MFP disc is quite nice, and is certainly recommended searching out, no matter which LP version(s) you wind up with.

sandmountainslim1 and paulmock like this.
  3. sandmountainslim1

Thanks! Yeah I do not like the expanded Swing Easy at all. The CD I have is the Larry Walsh version quit sounds pretty good but I would prefer the original sound.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  5. sandmountainslim1

Ended up getting the 1954 10" SFYL and I love it :) Now to pick up a 10" Swing Easy to go with it.

MMM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.