White Bird

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamesmaya, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member Thread Starter

Sure miss hearing this great song; it used to get played on the radio quite a bit. Just dawned on me that I don't have this tune in my CD collection (and I sold my "It's a Beautiful Day" Columbia LP years ago during the Great Vinyl Purge).:realmad: Can it be that the only commercially available version of White Bird on CD is from Matthew Katz's San Francisco Sound label? Is it on any compilation?

Jim W.

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I don't think it is on anything else. There's an edited version on the Walk On The Moon soundtrack, but that's about it.

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There is a CD pressing out of Canada that due to some label copyright has no artwork and is pressed on a black CD. I bought this as a "two-fer" because I wanted "Marrying Maiden". I have the SFS "It's a Beautiful Day" as well. They sound very much the same.

I've never seen "It's a Big Bad Beautiful Day" (the one with the camel on the front) on CD. Anyone?

Regards,
    Geoff

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Not long ago, I picked up a UK import twofer CD of It's a Beautiful Day/Marrying Maiden on Columbia. Just had a quick peek over at Amazon.uk, they list it as in print, and available to ship. It's a legit release, and the sound is quite good. Recommended!:thumbsup:

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

One of my all time favorite late night radio songs. I will try to pick up the UK twofer. Thanks.
    Another late night favorite was "Gilbert Street" by "Sweet Thursday". 10 minutes of moody, Dylanesque music with Nicky Hopkins on keyboards. I should look for a copy of that one too, since with the crap that is is FM these days, I will never hear any of these songs on the radio again.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sorry, I posted from work and I was wrong. As Jimbo says, this is from the UK.

Regards,
    Geoff

7. downhill

downhill Senior Member

It's a Beautiful Day is a heck of an album.

To bad that Matthew Katz (son of satan) has control of IABD's catalog.

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

It's amazing how well that album holds up. Despite the pastoral leanings of the first side, what really knocks me out is the final track on the album, "Time Is," a 9:45 rave-up that slowly builds in intensity until it almost crashes--in a way, like Haight-Ashbury eventually imploded from drugs and broken dreams. Only that last track is quintessential 'Frisco Rock' of its time, as the rest of the album is almost otherworldly, as if recorded on a tropical island far away from all fears or cares(and they went there on Wooden Ships, of course:)

The album cover is also, IMHO, one of the finest ever conceived. It's beauty is breathtaking; it's why I bought the Lp back in '69, as I'd never heard of the band or David and Linda LaFlamme. Cover art is so meaningless today, because it's so small(I'd like to tell you I bought the Norah Jones vinyl for the sound quality, but, ya know, gotta be honest:love:

ED:cool:

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

geoff,

it's a big bad beautiful day - choice quality stuff....anytime

TRC records - printed in germany - 1990 cd catalog# - TRC007

renny

10. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I pulled out this album about a week ago and still really love it. I have a Dutch LP which was issued in 1979. It has the original cover art. For some reason, subsequent most issues of the LP in the '70s had the cover art changed due to some weird legal issues. Anybody recall the story behind this? (Ed?)

Somewhere in my cupboard of old cassettes, I have a tape of the band from about 1970. I think it's a performance in Anaheim, CA. As I recall, they were also in the Stamping Ground Festival film.

Cheers,
    Chris

11. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Jim - I have It's A Beautiful Day and Marrying Maiden on two CDs released by San Fancisco Sound (SFS 11790DA & SFS 04800 respectively). I can't say they are best sounding CD versions since I have nothing to compare them to but they are fairly analog sounding. I'm not sure if these are still in print but it'll give you something to search on.
    Of course I have both of these LPs on vinyl and listen to those most often. I also found David LeFlamme's solo album Whitebird a few years ago. I contains new versions of this song and Hot Summer Day. They're pretty similar to the IABD versions but have someone named Dominique singing Linda's parts. I believe the LeFlameme's split many years ago.

12. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

The Columbia 'It's A Beautiful Day & Marrying Maiden'

Rewind: 489449 2
    01-489449-10

Columbia CB:681

(all these numbers are on the tray card!!)

Is IMHO & others who have hear it a far better transfer than the SFS discs.

The sound is noticeably more dynamic an attribute I noticed lacking in my previous SFS disc of It's A Beautiful Day that I dumped soon after getting this one. If you like the music this CD pressing is well worth getting hold of.

13. downhill

downhill Senior Member

Has anyone ever noticed that "Bombay Calling" from this album "seems" to have been the model for Deep Purples "Child In Time" from In Rock?

14. Bamjam

Bamjam Forum Resident

While I've heard "White Bird" and perhaps another song or two from the album, I've stayed away from buyin g it because of the relatively high price. (Which is actually kinda dumb as I think of how I've spent $20 in a variety of other, less enlightened ways.)

Just went to CDUniverse, which has the CD for $17.60. Amazon has it for $21.99 (plus, it's a "special order"). Both are on the SFS label.

15. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have the SFS label IABD. The sound is actually quite good...

16. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I just ordered the UK Columbia version. Thanks for the tip guys, can't wait to hear this once again.

17. joefont

joefont Senior Member

18. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Yep, Sure does!

19. downhill

downhill Senior Member

LOL..actually I should have proofread that...

I'm sure that Deep Purple kinda ripped it off as IABD was released first.

JohnT, if I may, where did you find it? I have never quite liked the Katz version..

20. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

21. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I have the SFS CD as well as 2 NM Columbia LP's, I never want to be without this great record. :)

22. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Khorn, Thats the one to get!!!!! I also have heard the SSF pressing and this 2fer is much better. Just a shame they did not have the rights to use the original cover art, as the back cover states "This CD contains the albums "It's A Beautiful Day" and "Marrying Maiden". The IABD sleeve shown replaces the original album cover which cannot be reproduced for legal reasons. However the musical content remains unchanged."

If this one is still in print...it's the way to go.

23. downhill

downhill Senior Member

24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Chris, sorry to be so late to this one.

I'll assume you're referring to the first IABD, and for that I've no answer.
    Can you tell me what the alternate artwork was like?

ED:cool:

25. downhill

downhill Senior Member

The legal issues would simply have involved Columbia, members of the band and that wonderful and crazy guy from SF named Mathew Katz.......(son of satan) who wants to control every bit of IABD that he can...along with Moby Grape and a slew of San Francisco artists. The only ones to escape his control was Jefferson Airplane..and it cost them plenty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.