White Bird

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamesmaya, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I recall the UK edition of the LP in the '70s having a very simple paintng... sort of block-y/square-ish, non-descript cover replacing the original cover art. Of course, the are was so memorable I can't even really remember it. :laugh:

I never bought that one as I always thought the cover was a really important part of the original album. My Dutch copy from '79 restores the original cover art, luckily.

Before I had that copy, I actually bought a bootleg of it called "Born Again" (Allied Productions 364). The quality isn't bad for a needle-drop boot LP. It seems as though they used a mint copy of the album. Pretty boring sepia-tone photo of a field on the cover. It's probably one of the first boots that I bought back in the '70s that had a proper cover (i.e. not a photocopied piece of paper under the cellophane). I'd imagine that there's probably only a few hundred copies of it in existence.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

This is the alternate "artwork" for the Sony 1999 UK two-disc version of It's A Beautiful Day / Marrying Maiden. The text at the bottom on the back reads: "Due to legal problems we are unable to reproduce the original artwork for either of the albums featured on this double CD. However the music featured on both albums remains unchanged." There is no information inside the booklet except the song titles and writing/publishing information. Marrying Maiden is also a pretty darn good disc. It has one of my favorite instrumentals "Don And Dewey". I also have the first album on SFS CD and vinyl.

Attached Files:

• iabd.jpg
      iabd.jpg
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Tomcw

Tomcw Forum Resident

Will Amazon UK ship to the US? How about customs? Anything else I need to know before ordering?
    Thanks
    Tom

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Tom: Have no reservations about ordering from Amazon.uk. I've ordered lots of CDs and am very pleased with their service. I've even gotten some CDs less than a week after ordering! They accept all major credit cards. Also, they automatically subtract the VAT tax when you order, so you're paying even less than the listed price, often saving a couple dollars. No problems with customs.

The difference in price between ordering a British CD directly from Amazon.uk, or ordering the same CD as an import from the US site, is enormous. Always go with the UK site if you can!

P.S. My twofer does not have that black cover, but reproduces the original two album covers. The change must be a recent development.

5. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Is your twofer one or two discs? Mine is two discs and I've heard there is an earlier one disc version. (Probably heard it from you here or on ICE :) )

6. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Mine is a single disc Rewind 2 albums on 1 CD.

The cover art is a background blue sky with two 'Thumbnail' insert/booklet cover depictions:

The It's A Beautiful Day one with a bird over water against a bright blue sky.

Marrying Maiden a couple of people in weirdoid garb, one riding a unicorn.

Ya, I think we went through this whole thing back on ICE a long time ago.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

It's one disc, just like the one Khorn describes in his post. I guess at some point CBS was stopped from using the covers, but was allowed to release the music. Seems silly to me, but there ya go...

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's OK; I wasn't there.

Regards,
    Geoff

9. Tomcw

Tomcw Forum Resident

Thanks Jimbo!
    I'm off to order...
    Tom

10. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Yeah, amazingly it seems that Deep Purple ripped off the central riff...what an odd source for them to have taken it from.

I'll echo the others...it's a fine album. You wouldn't want to settle for a compilation with just Whit Bird. I have a version on cd (bought it about 5 years ago, not sure what label) that sounds pretty close to my lp version.

11. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Curious as to why CBS decided to release it on two discs since the SONY Rewind has BOTH albums on one disc?

Here's a scan of the SONY Rewind cover:

Attached Files:

12. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

The first album is great. I have an original that I purchased from Amoeba in SF a couple of years ago!!!!:thumbsup: Sound is really goood on the original.

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree that the first IABD album is excellent.

14. downhill

downhill Senior Member

Man you rock!!!

I just got this in the mail yesterday...and it beats the GLOBE version, hands down. It does seem to be a bit loud but the sonics are tons better than my Katz version...

It was really late in getting here. 20 days..and when I emailed Amazon...they started the process in sending me a replacement....I canceled it when mine arrived. Yes I'd order from the overseas Amazon in a heartbeat..good service. :)

Again, thanks for the heads up, JohnT. :)

15. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

My experience with Amazon UK has been amazing, my last order arrived one week after ordering. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.