White Denim- 'Performance' out on August 24

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KaptKopter, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Releasing Performance via City Slang (new record label for them) first single 'Magazin' on youtube:

New drummer (their third since Josh Block left them) Conrad Choucroun and keyboard player, Michael Hunter. The first single has similar chords to 'I start to run'.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. KaptKopter

Has a solo George Harrison vibe to this one, not that impressed tbh :shake: I miss the adventurousness of old White Denim.

3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I really liked their last two albums, but I'm not really digging this new stuff.

I think the turnaround of band members is keeping them from being the band they could've been.

KaptKopter likes this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I was sorry to see the brilliant Austin Jenkins go (guitar). I'll check this one out as I usually like pretty well everything White Denim.

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I went ahead and ordered the exclusive white vinyl from Rough Trade.
    I'm a sucker for that stuff...

Naughty Chord and KaptKopter like this.
  6. KaptKopter

Found a recent full gig with the new line up:

Again not too keen on the new songs but will wait till the album is out before passing judgement. The band sound tight.

7. KaptKopter

Fine Slime:

Tristero and Davido like this.
  8. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

This album rules, got an advance copy at the record store conference, really interesting and varied. Would recommend, LP sounds good to my ears

Mt.Elga and Naughty Chord like this.
  9. KaptKopter

Cool, any favourtite songs? How does it compare to other albums?

10. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

The title track and "Sky Beaming" were stand outs but I haven't had a chance to give it a second spin yet. I got quite the bounty so its going to take me awhile to get through my unlistened stack, but will definitely revisit soon and add more

11. KaptKopter

Released today, some initial thoughts- overall not a bad album, well played as usually expected with White Denim (there is way more synth on this album with the new keyboard player as an addition), more like a 'Bop English' album then a White Denim album. As some reviews have said its upbeat throughout with the last track being the only acoustic number but still pretty driving. However (and I may have to give it more time) I still maintain this is the least adventurous of their discography and some songs sound like previous or lesser versions of better songs.

12. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Another solid effort. Only had one listen so far, but enjoyed it. Less soul influenced this time, looking forward to seeing them live for the first time next Wednesday.

13. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

I really like White Denim. I feel like if they had come around when I was 16 years old, they would be one of my favorite bands. A great mix of classic rock, white soul/boogie, and prog-psych weirdness. I know die-hard fans have an affinity for their more restless, experimental material, but I didn't get on board until "D" and have never found to hold onto in the prior recordings. But I have enjoyed just about everything from "D" to the present, and the new album has no filler on it. It may tread some old ground (both for White Denim in particular and certainly for music in general), but it's catchy, fun, and just the right amount of complex. I've listened to it 3-4 times since yesterday and there's never really a dull moment. I know the line-up shifts have halted the band's progress, but they've still go something special going. Highly recommended for anyone who has enjoyed their previous three albums.

Honestly, how can you not love a band with a bass player who looks like he's 12, but plays with enough speed and dexterity to have earned the nickname "Turbo" ? White Denim is great.

14. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

This pretty much mirrors my experience although I do enjoy pre-D albums and they actually are one of my favorite rock bands.. D has been my favorite since I first heard it. But this new album got me from the first listen. It's very psychedelic Texan-sounding and I like it. :pineapple:

15. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

Damn fine lp...Hear a lot of Spirit, Love influence..Very '72....

CrombyMouse and Naughty Chord like this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I'm a gonna have ta check it out...

17. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

Bumping to note that an earlier poster mentioned Bop English, the "solo" project from Denim leader James Petralli. I neglected to listen to that album when it came out a couple years back, but I've been on a White Denim kick since the new album came out. It's really, really good and is highly recommended for any White Denim fans who, like me, missed it upon release. Some really catchy songs, very poppy, and with lots of clever flourishes.

Knowing how much this board loves "classic rock" - everyone here should be all over White Denim and Bop English.

18. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Josh Block, then White Denim drummer, played on Bop English LP as well. He is one of greatest drummers of his generation, sad that he has left.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I haven't had a chance to pick up the new album yet, though I like what I've heard, particularly "Fine Slime". I did get a chance to see them live in Ann Arbor last night. I'd heard that they were a hot live act, but they definitely surpassed my expectations, delivering with fire and precision. I like their studio material well enough, but their sound makes a lot more sense to me now after hearing them perform--a potent blend of psych, jam band fusion, funk and more. One track would flow into the next seamlessly, almost like a suite, so there was never a dull moment. They only played for about an hour and a half. Towards the end, the singer expressed some kind of dissatisfaction, saying that it was really hard for him to play--apparently they were unhappy with the sound mix--but if he hadn't have said anything, I wouldn't have noticed a problem. There were certainly no deficiencies in their playing and the new keyboardist helped to flesh out their sound nicely. If these guys come to your area, do not hesitate to check them out! They really need to release a live album at some point. . .

20. KaptKopter

Whilst I haven't seen them in this current line up, I saw the original line up as a four and then their other two subsequent line ups, I am seeing them in February and yes they are a hot live act. There is also 'Live at Third Man' in case you wan't to hear my favourite line up live of the group with Josh Block on Drums and Austin Jenkins on guitar: White Denim - Live At Third Man

CrombyMouse and Naughty Chord like this.
  21. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I've seen them live a couple time and, honestly, I didn't care much for them live. They played/sounded fine, but they were just kinda boring. They had zero personality/charisma to make them a truly appealing live act. One of those things where I'd almost prefer to just listen to the record.

22. KaptKopter

Interesting, can I ask when you saw them live? When they had Josh Block and Austin Jenkins they were really good live. When they left and they had a new guitarist and keyboard player (who had zero personality), I thought they might have lost their spark.

23. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Saw them on their last tour, for Stiff (in LA), and the tour before that, for Corsicana Lemonade.

I do think the show for Stiff was a bit more... um, stiff than the earlier tour. Sounded and played great, but just sorta going through the motions without much personality. Could've been the venue too (teragram ballroom), which I'm not a fan of.

24. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

I bought this today knowing I could take it back and buy the CD I really wanted, lol. But I really like it. They are my new XTC (Go 2/Drums & Wires era). Quirky, lots-of-changes-every-second music.

God bless the independent music stores. It wasn't even filed under the White Denim flap, just under 'W'. D'oh.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  25. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Graham, Lownote30 and Naughty Chord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.