Whitesnake - Slide It In (Ultimate Edition) (6CD/1DVD) - 3/8/19

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Jan 23, 2019.

1. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

3. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Not a bad price for the Super D @ $74

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Why is this on two LPs? I know there is the UK version without Sykes. And the US version with him. Is that what this is?

5. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Looks like this will be my first box set purchase of 2019. Love this album and this lineup of Whitesnake. Preordered the Super Deluxe!

Rockstar2112, Matthew Tate and Sean like this.
  6. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

I can't get excited about this set without knowing what's on it. Am I missing something?
    Curious? Definitely.
    Excited? Not yet.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Price is high hopefully it will go south by release date. Gotta know what's on it before I get it. Looks to be an awesome release though.

Matthew Tate and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Does anybody know what exactly is on this set?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

Follow the Amazon UK link on Imwan

impalaboy likes this.
  10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Not sure where you shop but $75 for a six CD/ one DVD set is extremely reasonable.

11. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

6 CD's of largely the same dozen songs? (US mix, UK mix, a "2019 remix," a "monitor mix" whatever that is, and an "early mix", so that's four versions of not only the same songs, but essentially mix varitaions of the same takes) A CD costs no more than 50 cents to manufacture, they don't have an automatic $10-15 value just because of the plastic they're on. Obviously there's someone who will pay this for this Whitesnake album or else it wouldn't exist, but that price seems high given the content; the amount of plastic involved is kind of irrelevant. (Just IMO, of course)

This is a pretty good Whitesnake record, but I'm not sure I need that many versions of it. But I guess someone does.

Cooks420, warewolf95, RK2249 and 7 others like this.
  13. noname74

I would assume that version is for the fans that think it’s a “great” album while the 2CD version will cover those that find it “pretty good”.

Also more goes into a box set then the cost to manufacture a CD.

mikedifr0923 and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. mark winstanley

A 5.1 would have clinched it for me, but it seems a little random

15. walrus

You'll never convince me this one cost $75 to put together, sorry.

Actually surprised there's not more live stuff, I would think that'd be more exciting than 3 full remixes of the album. (Between the US and UK, a "2019 mix" seems a bit redundant, even as someone who's generally a fan of these remixing projects. The album sounded pretty good originally, unlike a lot of hard rock LP's)

Cooks420 and mark winstanley like this.
  16. noname74

Who said it cost $75 to put together- that’s the retail cost not the manufacturing cost. What they aren’t allowed to make a profit? :laugh:

thxphotog and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. walrus

I guess my point is they'd still make a profit if this thing cost $40. These things are, of course, an exercise in selling few copies at a massive markup, just saying $75 for 6 CD's would hold more weight if it contained, say, 6 hours of unreleased Stevie Wonder songs vs. 4+ mixes of the same Whitesnake recording. Y'all do you! Just laughing at it a little, that's all.

18. mark winstanley

I understand what you're saying here, but it is a little light on for the price, in my mind.
    It is good value in a sense, that there are six discs and a dvd, but for me when i look through it ...
    As stated - three versions of the album ... that's a bit ho hum to me.
    Demo stuff - I'll take demo stuff if they throw it on anything, but it isn't something i count as having much value, except on really rare occasions.
    The concert is cool and the first thing of actual extra value.
    The dvd seems like a hodge podge of bits and pieces ... if it was a dvd of the concert on the disc, very cool... but it's just bits and pieces to me.
    They remixed the album ... as @walrus says, the original mix was fine anyhow .. so it's a little redundant.... but if they remixed it, why no go for a 5.1... if you're going to set it up to remix, why not do it.
    A 5.1 version of the album and the highlights of the current bits and pieces thing in there....
    Each to their own, and I'm sure there are some hardcore fans this may appeal to on a collector level .... but there doesn't seem that much on the discs to me.

Queezma, jeffreybh and walrus like this.
  19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Hope it sounds better than the Whitesnake ('87) 30th Anniversary set. While Ok sounding, I guess, it's pretty compressed especially the remixes.
    Like others have said if it this set had a 5.1 mix it would be a no brainer. I already have the US and UK early CDs so not sure on this. Of course I had both versions of "Whitesnake" ('87) also and I bought the deluxe digital download so theres that.

dobyblue and jeffreybh like this.
  20. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Pretty certain the price will come down by the time it's released more in line with the previous 2 sets...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

So, they've standardized a new track sequence for both mixes (which matches neither of the previous versions). The 2019 remix is only available in the box set. The DVD is mostly a sampler of previously released DVDs.

If mastered well, it looks like some nice releases. On the other hand, those who love this material already have a good chunk of this (myself included).

22. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Automatic purchase for the box set.......What more could you want!!!! Looks like they have cobbled absolutely everything associated with the album/period onto this set.

I expect this will sell for £50-£55 here in the UK.

Matthew Tate and Jimmy Agates like this.
  23. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I got the 1987 and Unzipped sets so i know nothing will stop me getting this one too!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

In terms of re-play I have certainly had my monies worth from both sets so far...especially Unzipped.

I'm not much of a DVD person.....tend to watch them once...but still great to have (and maybe someday I will find the time to watch them again)

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have no money for Loudness. Passed!

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.