who are the 3 most underrated artists you can think of?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

Klaatu
    Jim Carroll Band
    War

2. vernon

vernon Well-Known Member

Honestly, in this forum:

Paul McCartney
    Paul McCartney
    Paul McCartney

C'mon guys, he needs to be worshipped more!

Gaslight, BryanA-HTX, Ivand and 24 others like this.
  3. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Roy Harper
    The Go-Betweens (sadly defunct but a great legacy that SHOULD be up there with the Beatles)
    The Triffids (ditto above)

4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Rebert H. Harris, original lead singer of the Soul Stirrers and one of the greatest and most important voices and singing stylists in gospel whose style really paved the way for a lot of the most basic techniques of soul singing. Gospel and soul music wouldn't be sung the way it's song today without Harris' influence in the late 30s through the early '50s.

Charlie Poole, one of the most important and best of the early country singers, country music's original hell-raising outlaw really, kind of like country music's Charley Patton, should be mentioned routinely alongside mentions of the likes of the Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers, but isn't.

Lonnie Johnson, one of the best and most influential blues guitarists of all time, who even most purported blues fans today don't know.

Three hugely important figures who made great music who are barely appreciated today.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    munjeet, mw1917, Tord and 5 others like this.
  5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Richard Thompson.
    Thea Gilmore.
    Roy Harper.

jasn, WillyC3 and David Ellis like this.
  6. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

Thea Gilmore
    Lonnie Johnson
    Already mentioned but I second the choice

7. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

The Shaggs
    Daniel Johnston
    Tay Zonday

DiabloG and Sneaky Pete like this.
  8. I am probably unaware of the existence of the 3 most underrated artists.

9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Bobbie Gentry
    Garland Jeffreys
    John Mellencamp
    The Kinks
    The Zombies
    Tony Joe White
    Terry Reid
    Johnny Rivers
    Rick Nelson
    Cyndi Lauper

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

That actually gave me a good chuckle this morning, thanks for that!

I, however, have about thirty artists or bands that fit the "most underrated" list and here are my top 3 ...

MIKE VIOLA -
    (Mike is easily one of the most talented singer/songwriters that I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. This recent live video clip, will give you a small glimpse into Mike's great abilities.) (Warning: Language)

CHRIS RICE -
    (On the complete other end of the musical spectrum is this equally talented singer/songwriter. I actually found the music of Chris Rice one day while driving around town and desperately looking for anything good to hear on the radio. Somehow the dial ended up on the local Christian radio station and the following song spilled out of the car speakers at me, as if I was meant to hear it. The production of the song first caught my ear and then the lyrics really made me think. It didn't take me long to buy the album from which the song came from, called "Smell The Color 9" and I was hooked!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-IJ7sEEHaY

ANDREW GOLD -
    (The son of famous movie score composer Ernest Gold and famous "real voice to the stars" Marni Nixon, the late, great Andrew Gold's music has brought me as much sunshine, as any singer/songwriter ever has.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_p8xtRcVcQ

Ivand and wayneklein like this.
  11. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Alive - Israel Nash Gripka
    Dead - John Martyn. Is he underrated? Possibly in this forum.

arthurprecarious and Miche like this.
  12. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

this could change any day, but here is my current list:
    Robbie Fulks
    Mike Henderson
    (still fixing guitars at Joe Glaser Nashville by the way?)
    Little Barrie (Barrie Cadogan plays guitar for Primal Scream a.o., in his band you will also find drummer Virgil Howe, son of Steve, maybe Steve was a Thunderbirds fan?)

13. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

Jody Williams - Several of his riffs were borrowed by other blues greats.
    Lefty Frizzell - Everyone says they want to be like Hank, but they end up sounding like Lefty.
    Doug Sahm - A human jukebox. Folks here know him but most only know a couple of hits. He offered so much more.

14. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Rory Gallagher
    UFO
    Blue Oyster Cult

Opeth and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

These guys are more "underknown" than "underrated" since the folks who do know them rate them very highly, but:

The Sadies
    Howe Gelb / Giant Sand
    Bill Callahan / Smog

(and you can't really mention those three without also including Calexico)

16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

More or less every artist is overrated by his fans and underrated by everyone else. Still, it's hard not to play this game.

There have been a couple of mentions of Roy Harper, but he's been getting rave notices recently and he seems to be pretty well estimated by those few who know him. It's the same with Richard Thompson.

I think Marc Almond heads my list because, although he's respected by a few, he's widely thought of as some sort of talentless freak. He gets no respect at all as a vocalist or songwriter, yet he has put together an impressive body of work and has shown himself to be one of the most adventurous artists of his generation.

Another one, who's related to Almond because they worked together and were both on the same label, is J. G. Thirwell (a.k.a. Foetus). He's a bit of a hipster darling, sure, but based on the quality of his work you'd have thought by now that he'd be mentioned in the same breath as Frank Zappa.

Finally, since I have to stop at three, Jimmy Webb. One of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time, should be ranked with Elton John, and all anyone ever talks about is 'that song about the cake'.

17. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

Bruce Cockburn
    John Martyn
    The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
    Over The Rhine
    DADA
    Riverside
    Toad the Wet Sprocket
    Big Head Todd & the Monsters
    Airbag
    Gazpacho (Norway)
    Pendragon
    and many, many other non-American bands that don't fit the formula so they don't ever get played in the US. I could go on and on about bands I only learned about in the past 10 years that have been out there for a long time. For instance, I never heard anything by Porcupine Tree until Deadwing came out. The Pineapple Thief are still very obscure with what, 10 albums? And it's not just proggy bands, how many albums did Muse do before they caught on in America and have possibly faded away already? Some kids in New Zealand called Evermore put out a fine album called Dreams and didn't get any notice so they turned around and put out a pop album with a dance hit, Hey Boys and Girls, and became teenage idols down under, but have you heard of them? There's just so much music that's never played in the US, I could type until my fingers go numb...

18. houston

houston Forum Resident

I just heard her version of "I'll never fall in love again" for the first time recently... trumps Dionne Warwick, less "airy" much more "feeling"

19. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

20. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

Yes, John Martyn is underrated. You can't hardly buy his music in America even when there were music stores on every corner.

BTW, have you heard Dan Arborise? If you dig JM, you should check out Dan.

Darby and JL6161 like this.
  21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Wolfhounds
    Dexys Midnight Runners
    Pulp

22. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Edie Brickell
    Ben Folds
    Harry Nilsson

or maybe

Fishbone

23. That's 3 great choices. Here's a few more:

Shawn Colvin
    Warren Zevon
    Bruce Cockburn

pablo fanques and wayneklein like this.
  24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Patti Smith
    The Kinks
    X

25. Tony Jonaitis

Tony Jonaitis Forum Resident

Jackie Leven
    Reg King (lead singer of 60's Brit band, The Action)
    Francoise Hardy (nobody in the USA seems to know who she is...thanks to Wes Anderson for using her song in Moonrise Kingdom)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.