DCC Archive Who do you think is going to be in the Hall of Fame next year?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Matt, Sep 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt New Member Thread Starter

Just thought it would be a fun topic. Yeah, the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame is not the authority in rock history it tries to make itself out to be, and for that reason a lot of you may not care, but, well, I kind of view it like the Oscars: even if I don't like the nominees, I do like to sit back and wager who's going to win, and then of course think, "Gee, it would be REALLY cool if so-and-so actually won, even though he/she doesn't have a chance."

Anyway, here were the finalists I found:

AC/DC - No chance. HOF has always had an adversity to hard rock bands; not that familiar with their music, but it's still pretty cool to hear Angus belt one out while driving to work.
    Black Sabbath - Been trying to get in for years; surprised they're still holding on. Could be their year.
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Mixed feelings about them. The critics America love them a lot more than the ones in Europe (a similar reversed situation with Roxy Music), so I think that gives them an edge. I've heard people call them America's answer to the Stones, the Who, AND punk. Wouldn't go that far, but definitely one of the best southern rock bands, second only to Duane Allman-era Allman Brothers.
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - The fact that maintained their popularity for three decades will get them in on their first year. Not as innovative as others, sometimes a bit formulaic, and are more derivative than the other first year nominees, but I love them; they're an excellent band that usually delivers.
    Jackson Browne - May finally make it. Kind of mixed feelings on him, though. A lot of his albums feel really uneven to me. I still think the early 70's stuff is his best work, but critics all seem divided on what's his best period. Some criticize his 70's for being mopey (usually the anti-singer-songwriter crowd) and prefer the later stuff, which others feel is too slick and pop, and then there's the political stuff...may get in because he's been eligible for awhile, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped yet again.
    The Sex Pistols - First year inductee written all over it. Definitely some reservations that they were a crash-and-burn outfit, and some others believe they only made a few good single and that even their legendary first album has a lot of lesser, pedestrian filler on it (I still think it's great start to finish), but I think the massive reputation they've built up will over this.
    The Talking Heads - Definitely a first-year inductee. Too damn popular among the critics not to be, but I'm not complaining because they're one of my favorites, too. Probably the strongest nominee this year.
    The Ramones - Sad Joey isn't here, but they're definitely first year inductees. After years of underappreciation, I think they're moment has come. One drawback is that the really taped off in the 80's, but man, at least they put out a COUPLE of classic albums instead of just one like the Sex Pistols.
    Patti Smith - I heard she'll be eligible twice, again with the Patti Smith Group in a few years. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but apparently that's how it works under the rules. If this is true, she may not get in (may be a split on how she should be inducted). I'd put her in there, though.
    Brenda Lee - Well, maybe in the country hall of fame, but I'm not sure I'd put her in the rock hall of fame. Don't think she'll make it.
    The Chantels - Really tough. "Maybe" is an immortal doo-wop classic, but that's basically what their reputation rides on. Doo-Wop groups are always tough to get in, partially because so many of them are seen as just part of a big movement rather than a leader in the genre (like Dion or the Drifters). You can almost call them a one-hit wonder. May get in someday, but too much good competition this year.
    The Dells - I wouldn't rank them as high as, say, the 5 Royales. Had one immortal doo-wop classic with Oh What A Nite, but their later r&b hits are not as well-known. Don't think they'll make the cut.
    the 5 Royales - This may be their year. Not only a great vocal group, but made important early contributions to rock (check out the guitar work). I think they have a great chance.
    Isaac Hayes- Amazing contributions as a writer for Stax/Volt (enough to warrant a non-performer nomination, I think); struck out on his own solid career. As a performer, I wouldn't rank him as high as, say, Al Green or Otis, but I think he's got a good chance.
    Gram Parsons- No chance. I love this guy, and his contributions to rock and country is just phenomenal. I loved him with the Byrds, with the Burrito Bros., and with the Fallen Angels, but he just isn't "popular" enough. A stupid reason, but most first-year inductees have had great record sales. Parsons never did. Should be, but won't be, at least not for awhile.
    Gene Pitney - He'd get in sooner than Brenda Lee would, but with the competition this year, he'll probably be passed over. Probably will get in some day.

[ September 29, 2001: Message edited by: Camarillo ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.