Who Framed Roger Rabbit fans can REJOICE!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Naughty Bits?

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It has been out on DVD since September of 1999, so I wouldn't say "finally", but this should be a much improved audio-visual presentation, and they are "finally" (I'll agree to this one) releasing the three excellent Roger Rabbit shorts (Tummy Trouble, Roller Coaster Rabbit, and Trail Mix-Up) on this DVD.

All indications are that it will still have the censored frames. :sigh:

Regards,

4. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Roger Rabbit on DVD? PLeeeaaasse!

5. stereoptic

Are these the "naught bits"?

There were scenes in 1999 DVD release that were censored. The first is rather early in the film. Baby Herman storms off the set and leers up a woman's dress as he walks between her legs. In the theatrical version, his arm extends up under her dress, finger extended for a goose, causing her to jump. The '99 DVD was strictly a non-contact version; Herman's hand remains at his side. I'm pleased to report that Buena Vista has tried to satisfy the irate fan base by restoring the extended arm, but has toned down the goose by eliminating the finger. The second scene occurs much later in the film as Benny the Cab crashes into a light pole, tossing Jessica and Valiant into the air. As Jessica spins, her skirt flies above her waste. In the '99 DVD version, Buena Vista put the underwear-free Jessica in some tidy whiteys. In the latest version, Buena Vista has decided that even that may be too risque. Jessica's red gown has been extended to cover her crotch. And during the commentary, it's confirmed that Betty Boop flashed Valiant in the Ink & Paint Club; those frames were excised from the film. Sigh. Don't you just love it when a studio is so damn condescending?

I copied the above from:

dvd file

6. Ken_McAlinden

I think the DVD File article may be overstating a little, but that's generally it. I don't think the Baby Herman censorship was ever more than airbrusing out what looked like a middle finger when he gooses the lady. There was never anything really, uh, gynecological about the Jessica shot, but because people claimed there was, they altered the color to make it clear that she was wearing undergarments. I have the CAV laserdisc without these changes. The Betty Boop thing seems to have been a case of her dress being drawn in such away that some with very active imaginations thought it looked like she was topless, but this was reportedly altered before any video version was released.

It all amounts to much ado about nothing, but it bugs me that they felt compelled to change anything.

Regards,

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I agree. Thank freaking gawd. I'm pleased to hear this news.

8. Dan C

I completely missed the first DVD so I've been eagerly waiting for this one.

I guess it's no big crime that a few frames were altered, but it bothers me as well they they did it.
    I can't wait to listen to the commentary.
    Dan C

9. stereoptic

Nothing like the original subliminal "extra line" drawn between Betty Boops legs, or the quick flash as she bent over the open window!

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Interesting review, Colin! Not jerky at all!

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

Nice job, Colin! I was gonna take you to task for undeservedly calling the reviewer a "jerk" - but then i took a closer look and got the joke. :D

Looking forward to this dvd. ROGER RABBIT has long been a favorite of mine...

Ray

13. Dan C

Great review Colin!:thumbsup:

However, I have to seriously disagree with your near pan of Mary Poppins. A C+?! :eek: I LOVE that film! A+++++++ from me!
    ;)
    Dan C

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Thanks to all for the nice comments. Hope some stick around the site in the future and read more inane opinions from some bunghole!:D

I think you misunderstood the rating system. The "C+" is my opinion of the DVD's visuals, not the movie itself. None of my grades rate the film in question: they're for picture/sound/extras.

Admittedly, though, I'm not a fan of "Mary Poppins". I wanted to like it, but it just didn't do much for me...

15. Dan C

I'll be bookmarking the site!:thumbsup:
    Thanks for the grading clarification, BTW. If you don't like musicals you won't like Poppins.
    I don't own the Poppins DVD, just the latest "THX" mastered tape. I still will buy the DVD though, I've loved that movie since I was born. :)

Dan C

16. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, POPPINS really takes me back; wonderful film, great songs, very british and very nice. The visual problems are, obviously, in the effects during the animation/live action segments. I'll take it over the sappy, dull SOUND OF MUSIC any day. For the life of me, people's fascination with that film eludes me. "My Favorite Things" and "Do-Re-Mi" are great, but after that....:rolleyes:

ED:cool:

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Who Framed Roger Rabbit was one of those movies that when I first saw it, back in 1988, literally made my jaw drop, with it's mixture of animation and live action. Plus, it was extremely well written, and it was great to finally see the Disney and Warner Brothers cartoon characters in a film together. Who needs drugs when you can watch this film?!

It'll be great to see this DVD. I plan to pick it up right away.

18. Ken_McAlinden

I am apparently wrong about this point. I don't own the DVD, and only saw it once. Hmm? Maybe I had it confused with a broadcast version, but I could swear I have seen a version with just the finger missing prior to this DVD release.

Regards,

19. Dan C

I was in high school when it came out and was blow away too. When the film made it to the "dollar theater" (remember those?:) ) a couple of friends and I saw it at least 20 times over a few weeks! We never failed to see something new we missed and the movie NEVER got old or boring.
    Dan C

20. Sckott

I found a copy at Strawberries locally, but it said the feature was in FULL SCREEN. Are there versions with widescreen, or are they all full? Not sure if anyone has a copy yet....

21. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I can only find full screen searching the normal DVD places.

22. RDK

RDK Active Member

From what i've read, the 2-disc set should have both full and widescreen versions - one on each disc.

23. Ken_McAlinden

Yup. Disc One has the fullscreen version, the three shorts (in widescreen), and the "kid-friendly" features. Disc two has the anamorphic widescreen version, the commentary, the DTS soundtrack, and the more in-depth supplements.

Personally, I don't know why "family friendly" is synonymous with fullscreen. My kids don't really care or notice whether it is widescreen or not, but they do think it's funny when the refrigerator falls on the Rabbits head.

Regards,

24. Sckott

Thanks. I was kinda confused to why the package, on the bottom said "Full Screen" and nothing else.

Also weird that Strawberries had copies out (only in one store)... Oops!! :)

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Any form of censorship rots! Geez, can't figure the logic. Some get away with it, some don't...Not a debatable subject, as we have no say to what we're subjected to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.