Who Framed Roger Rabbit fans can REJOICE!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Colin, I love your website and have it bookmarked! I check it often, a fine job indeed...

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

and I might add that Colin does a great review segment once a week (Friday AM) on my favorite radio station WFUV

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I got it. The packaging, albet paperboard-style, it's done with class. Inside the outer slipcase, the folder looks like a case book with Jessica Rabbit glossy and a picture of Roger circled with pen; "Find Rabbit" scrawled.

I can't wait to see this in widescreen tonight. It'll be my first time in 16:9 for this picture. My full screen laser disc has rotted horribly (EP).

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I didn'tknow that...A busy little bee indeed!, spreading the DVD word!

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He does? This falls into the "news to him" category - please tell me more, as I'm curious to know if I've got an imposter!

Thanks much!

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

More Censorship

The "Trail Mix-Up" animated short has also been censored on this release. There is a poster in the background of the saw mill that is only visible for a couple of frames that has been obscured. In the theatrical release and on the VHS and (recalled) laserdisc release, the poster showed a woman straddling a wrench with the words "Rigid Tools".

Regards,

7. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Posted by Dan C
    I was in high school when it came out and was blow away too. When the film made it to the "dollar theater" (remember those? ) a couple of friends and I saw it at least 20 times over a few weeks! We never failed to see something new we missed and the movie NEVER got old or boring.

Dan- Is it safe to say you were stoned a lot in high school? :)
    I saw this film when I was about 11 or 12 and I thought it was great. I was going to pick it up, but decided to just rent it. What with the Anthology coming out next week, plus DSOTM, Futurama, and The Muppets this week I have to make cuts somewhere. I am sure I will rent it next week and enjoy it.

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I bought mine yesterday at Target for a mere $15.
    Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, hope to tonight.

There's a "trade in" coupon for those of you with the old DVD who'd like a small rebate.
    Dan C

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Stoned? No. Not until college. ;)
    I'm with you, too many good things and not enough cash! Decisions decisions...
    Well at least I got my Ed Sullivan Beatles DVDs before the money ran out! :thumbsup:

Dan C

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm very sorry, Harlan Jacobson is the reviewer on WFUV.
    Mea Culpa

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Got mine at Target also for $15.99, the best available price.

JohnG

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Damned wannabes!:D

13. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Check the second disc my son! :)

14. Sckott

Yup. Donno why I totally missed that. I like this DVD, Nice layout, great features. Trying to get used to the picture sharpness since all I used to have was the EP LD.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Re: More Censorship

Just checked again. Fuzzy memory got the best of me. Scratch "wrench", replace it with "saw" and the above is correct.

Regards,

16. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Wal-Mart dropped their price to $14.99 as of Thursday morning - I got mine at Best Buy for $17.99, but I had a gift card for $20...

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So, final word, is the new one uncensored? Does the new disc set contain the widescreen version?

I read the thread, but I just want to be 100% clear. I looked at the back of the case in Tagret last night and they covered up some of the text with their stupid security sticker. Judging from the box, I could not fully determine what was what because of this. Then, a clerk said she got the word that it was only being released in full screen. After hearing that, I said "no thanks" and bought something else.

I am also concerned about any censorship. I don't want my movies censored! I don't have children, and I don't want to be treated like one. I don't have any religious or cultural restrictions.

18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The double disc pack does contain the widescreen version, on Disc 2. I watched it night before last. In the store I almost didn't buy it because all I could see at first was "Fullscreen" in the text on the back. Then I looked a little closer and saw that in the second block of text describing Disc 2, it says it's the widescreen version.

And, as far as I can tell, the two scenes--with Baby Herman and Jessica--are censored. I can't comment on the short since I never saw it theatrically.

Also, Disc 2 gives my player fits. It's locked up and gone all screwy when it hits the layer change. Anyone else had that problem?

19. Sckott

The layer change seems to be right where Eddie V. walks into an empty bathroom with no floor in Toontown. It took 4 seconds for my player to rebuffer the video.....

I agree, it's the biggest cliff my DVD has jumped off. Usually, it's not that bad.....

The set is definately worth getting, especially if you did not pick up the other 4 released version (VHS, LD, DVD1) but I see censored sections. In the commentary, you can hear them mention some frames removed.

Interesting that, until the very end of post production, they didn't know if the film would be owned under Disney or Touchtone.

20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yup, that's where it is. Two times my player threw a fit, and once it made it, but it only took a second or two.

:laugh: :laugh:

Nice double entendre!

21. Ken_McAlinden

It is censored (Baby Herman's finger is airbrushed out of a couple of frames while walking under a woman, and the arrangement of Jessica's dress is altered for a frame or two when she is thrown from the car) and the widescreen version is included. The "Trail Mix-Up" animated short has a couple of frames altered, too.

There is a hidden feature on the disc. It is the original theatrical trailer in which Baby Herman's finger is left intact, if anyone wants to compare. You access it by pressing the down arrow on your remote a few times from the main menu of the first disc until a button on the "dashboard" is highlighted and then pressing "enter".

Regards,

22. Sckott

Thanks, Ken!

23. Grant

Thanks Ken and thegauge.

I'm now thinking they censored those scenes so they could get a PG rating instead of a PG-13 or an R rating. I could be wrong, because my memory is fuzzy, but I thought the original theatrical version was an R rating.

24. Ken_McAlinden

Disney gets a lot of heat for hiding "dirty" stuff in their animated films regardless of whether it is real or imagined, so I think that upon further consideration, they decided to remove a few inside animator gags that would rile those who are hypersensitive about such stuff. It's not the kind of thing that would be the difference between a PG and a PG-13 because you would not notice it at regular speed, and its not really that overt even if you watch it frame by frame.

I don't know whether this applies to the Betty Boop "flash" since it never appeared on video, and I'm not 100% sure whether it actually made it to the theatrical release or not.

Regards,

25. Grant

Ken,

Obviously, many people DO notice those things, or else there would be no discussion about them.

You do know, of course, there are people who spend their time looking for sexually objectionable things in movies. Many of them may live in Utah, but...uh...let me explain that before I get Gorted! There is a video rental chain place in Utah that edits movies, copies them, and rents the copies of the censored tapes. The movie studios do not like this one bit, but have not come out and publically denounced this or have not sicked their lawyers on them. I guess they don't need the publicity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.