Who is Paul McCartney?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mfp, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

But we take music so much more seriously than other generations, don't you know? :D

It's so sad that Boomer Culture can't be preserved in amber forever and never change. Time should have stopped during the LBJ administration.

2. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

You are completely wrong.

1979 should be the cutoff, not LBJ. :)

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No, it should be the day Nixon resigned in 1974. :D

4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

It isn't boomer culture, it's just some boomers that think whatever they liked was the pinnacle of everything. Usually, it's the ones who think the world revolves around classic rock. It goes hand in hand. :D

5. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

My 5 year old son knows who he is. Of course he is named after him (Harrison Paul).:righton:

6. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

I thought he was the Dennis Wilson imitator they got to replace Ringo when he walked out of The White Album session.:D

7. il pleut

il pleut New Member

There are exceptions, but it's not about music. It's about youth, appearance, marketing and generational solidarity, just like it was in the 60s. That's why the Glenn Miller argument largely holds water.

8. il pleut

il pleut New Member

True, but every generation thinks that. And every generation has been wrong.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

But few have clung to their mistaken belief in their incredibly unique specialness with the death-grip tenacity of the Boomers.

10. Landis

Landis Well-Known Member

This actually happened recently where I teacher I know asked a bunch of third graders in his class if they ever heard of Led Zeppelin barely a fraction ever heard of Led Zeppelin. The same with the Beach Boys and basically the same response. Now the same teacher who teaches music to eigth graders has told me that they simply are impressed with songs like "A Day in the Life" than most of the rap stuff hear today.

When the Beatles were mentioned everyone had heard of them and even some knew some of their songs. Now can they actually name every member of the Beatles well the answer of course is no. I doubt anyone one of them could name who played on Elvis Presley records either. The thing is why does it matter? Does it really matter if many people can't name all the members of the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?

11. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

pom pom pom. ..... we all stand together

don't we?

12. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Like during the Grammy's as Glenn Campbell was performing, the camers panned to the audience to show to yound women sitting, heads down, lokking at their phones, texting (probably "who is Glen Campbell ???") :)

13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

guess we will find out in 30 or so years

14. 905

905 Senior Member

You know what, most good music did end in 1974...
    now I love much of 1975-98 or so, but just bits of it.

15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Generational solidarity among young people ain't what it used to be.

16. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

This. Not shocking or sad. Times they are a changing. Just a fact
    Of life.

17. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

True. Very, very true.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So "no one" means "less than 50 percent" - yeah, that makes sense. :sigh:

Trying to "prove" that today's players are as good as past ones is impossible - no matter what I say, you'll still tell me I'm wrong.

But since Michael Jordan himself thinks Kobe Bryant is in the same league as himself - and Jordan is not exactly the world's most charitable human being - I'd think that'd have some meaning...

19. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

"Who he is he hella old too." :laugh::laugh:

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm glad it's just your opinion!

21. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

I think most of it was facetious with the emphasis on the fact that they didn't care.
    Going out of their way to make it known that they feel he is irrelevent.... too them at least.

22. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Is that ebonics?

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Who is Paul McCartney?

He's the base player for ZZ Top!

24. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

I think I've told this but ... In 1963 I was listening to the radio and my grandfather said "They play the same songs over and over" I said "It's called the top 40" He said "I like marches like The Colonel Bogey March" I said "What is the Colonel Bogey March? Never heard it" :shrug:
    My grandfather was in WW1

Colonel Bogey March (1914) -1963 = 49 years
    She Loves You (1963) -2012 = 49 years

See any similarities? :laugh:

25. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

yeah and 40 years from now, most kids wont care who kobe bryant is either, fewer will care about Jordan. the same way fewer will care about mccartney. i guess that is too beyond belief for this forum that some kids dont care who paul mccartney is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.