Who is the greatest Rock organist of All Time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hot_wax_man, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hot_wax_man

hot_wax_man New Member Thread Starter

Well It is time to list a few of mine.

Let me preface this with a note : I was an Organ Major In college. I took pianon as a child and played Organ with differnet bands voer the years. I am not a great organist. I just know a little about it. You do not however have to be one to know one.All of you guys on this forum love music. You will understand what I mean.
    IN order of My appreciation with notes:

Goldy McJohn with Steppenwolf. The solo on Magic carpet ride. He si one of the great Pioneers of Rock Organ.

Jon Lord Deep purple Lazy Intro. :cool:

Sure I appreciate the keyoard gymnastics of Rick Wakeman and Greg Emerson. Very Impressive, must be noted, but they don't move me.
    Sombody Mentioned Niacin. Good Groove stuff but no chills here (i do own them all. Chester Thompson with Tower of Power ? Killer stuff of course and I have gotten chills on Walkin up hip street when he does the key change while kicking the pedals for bass and holding the sustained note , and the Leslie speaker is on slow and he holds the chord for 4 counts and then he kick in the leslie on full speed and doe the chord change. Wow!!.

How about Jimmy Greenspoon "3 dog night". (One man band Intro, Chest fever)The tecture and chord in versions on this song are pure genius.

Greg Rolie: Santana Abraxus and Jingo. the Solo work on Black magic woman, Oye Como VA, Soul sacrifice, ah pick one yourself its all good. Very Soulfull. I don't know what happened when he went to Journey.

Roger Boyd of head East for the Solo Intro on "Jefftown Creek" Flat as a pancake http://www.head-east.com/albums.html
    Smokin Hot.

Jerry Corbetta "Sugarloaf" "greeneyed lady" That solo still moves me every single time I hear it and It has nothing to do with the fact that I married that green-eyed readhead I dated to that song 30 years ago and I still like that too.
    :love: :love: :love:

Joel DiGregorio of the Charlie Daniels Band (a great american) for the Solo on "No Place to go" on the album "Fire on the Mountain". This song evokes pure emotion. great Leslie Work. It is worth whatever it costs to own this one song. :love: This made me want to play organ in a band. http://www.charliedaniels.com/

Bruce Katz of the Bruce Katz Band for the Organ work on Mighty Sam Mclain's song "Too Proud" on Audio Quest CD's "Give It up to Love" (the sound quality will amaze you but... :cool: It is not just the notes, it is the texture. If you don't get chills on the organ solo then you are dead already. http://www.mightysam.com/recordings/recordings.html
    http://www.valley-entertainment.com/Artists/Bruce_Katz/
    :love: :love:

Thanks again for all your participation in this forum. You guys have also tipped me to some cats I had never heard of.

:thumbsup: :laugh:

2. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Re: Well It is time to list a few of mine.

I think the intro riff you speak of was actually copied or borrowed for Chest Fever as I believe it was taken from a song on THE BAND's "House At Big PinK" LP. I just don't remember the title of the song.:eek: It is wicked though and was perfect for that spooky like intro for Chest Fever.:cool:

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I understand Jim Morrison could light up a crowd when he would play his organ.

4. Beatle Terr

He certainly pissed of the cops and other authorities at the time.

5. hot_wax_man

You guys there are some minors on this site. Can we keep it above board please. :(

6. hot_wax_man

Re: Re: Well It is time to list a few of mine.

YOu are indeed correct but it was way cool none the less for a live LP. Jimmy Greenspoon was a founding member as well as friend of Bob Yeazel , guitar player from Sugarloaf.

7. Beatle Terr

Ah yes Green Eyed Lady fame. Great song and band at the time.

8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Another vote for Jimmy Greenspoon.
    I also like the organist for Bloodrock, name escapes me though.

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Since I have heard the Deep Purple album, I must say... Don Airey performs with virtousity.

10. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

rick wakeman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.