Who is the most underrated Motown artist?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Out of all the Motown hitmakers, Junior Walker was the closest that label came to the blues.

2. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, the thinking man's Supremes
    nothing on Motown tops this for me

dlemaudit likes this.
  3. NiceMrMustard

NiceMrMustard Forum Resident

No offense to the Contours, but Do You Love Me has to be one of the most overplayed songs, thanks to Dirty Dancing...I could not escape that song in 1987-88.....weddings, parties, company outings, birthdays, URGH!!!!!!

4. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

I agree with Rare Earth, and I will add Teena Marie

devildavid likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Martha Reeves, because despite her considerable achievements, she's not accorded the respect of some of her former colleagues.

David Ruffin, because given his talents and success, he should be a household name.

FriendlyRanger likes this.
  6. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Brenda

FriendlyRanger likes this.
  7. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Charlene

Alan1074 likes this.
  8. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Gene Van Buren
    Nolen & Crossley

9. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Paul Williams...but a country mile. The Tempts got almost no love until David Ruffin came in and started leading. Many Paul leads flew under the radar - great though they are. He became too sick to continue with the Tempts so he was let go. He then recorded a few songs in the hopes of doing an album. This never happened, sadly. Here's proof of just how incredible that album could have been:

Ed

10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Chris Clark

e.s. likes this.
  11. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The Four Seasons

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Does that mean you would buy Charles Manson's album? Some people like his album.
    I didn't say what you can and can not enjoy, I briefly shared an experience I went through at a Blues Festival. He just jumped onstage and started hogging the set, I didn't pay to see some EGOcentric hollywood star take over and push a kind, humble blues man into the background. He was booed by other folks. I've seen or heard of other instances that I won't go into now.
    I've been a blues/soul singer for 50 years and believe me, I can't think of anyone I've played with mention B. Willis as a soul singer or even consider him a musician. If I told one of my friends that B Willis was the most underrated Motown artist, they would laugh in my face.
    Obviously we come from different backgrounds and different tastes in music.
    If you love his singing, good for you, I'm not trying to tell you not to like him, I don't even know you. Put his posters on your wall, buy all his music and enjoy yourself.

13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

14. FriendlyRanger

FriendlyRanger Forum Resident

I've always been partial to Cal Gill and the phenomenal Velvelettes.

agundy likes this.
  15. FriendlyRanger

Paul's my number one Temptation for sure.

Kind of wish he'd been given "My Girl" instead of Ruffin back in '64.

Bing Crosby & Temptations sing "My Girl" »

905 and Nostaljack like this.
  16. Nostaljack

Paul's leads weren't hits so I get why they gave it to David. Really, I can't imagine anyone else doing it. Paul's voice was heavier than David's and his voice suited it so well. That said, I totally feel you. Paul is my absolute favorite Temptations by a long shot. His version of "For Once in My Life" is definitive for me.

Ed

zebop likes this.
  17. FriendlyRanger

Stevie's pop version comes across to me like the magic of finding your first love.

Paul's ballad version is like finding your true love after years of searching. Love has hurt you but you feel like it won't anymore.

zebop and Nostaljack like this.
  18. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

Tammi Terrell - often forgotten and its amazing how many people assume all Gaye's duet were with Diana Ross
    Ashford and Simpson - you will always be underrated when you compete with HDH, Whitfield Strong, Wonder, Robinson and Gaye
    Isley Brothers and Gladys Knight - underrated by Motown perhaps

19. Nostaljack

Totally agree! Paul's is world-weary. Stevie's has the thrill of discovery. Both are amazing but I prefer Paul's approach to Stevie's. The one on "TCB" will destroy you.

Ed

zebop likes this.
  20. Holy Joe

Holy Joe Forum Resident

Syreeta
    Charlene
    Rockwell

Rockwell suffered from not having the great songs other Motown performers had. He had some good singles; "Somebody's Watching Me", "Obscene Phone Caller", and "Peeping Tom". But he was given a lot of terrible songs.

21. Leon Ware

22. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

23. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

do tell

24. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Debarge

25. asindc

asindc Jazzy Cyclist

I'm quoting this because it is very much true. Most of the Funk Brothers also gigged late night at jazz clubs around Detroit when jazz was still very big in that city. Check out the documentary "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" for a very well done account of their story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.