Who Played Lead 12-string Guitar on Jackie De Shannon's When You Walk In The Room?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gersh, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident Thread Starter

In this stirring song from Jackie De Shannon, released towards the end of 1963, there is a majestic 12 string electric guitar figure which helps define the song:

A simple question. Who played it? As far as I know, this is the first use of electric 12 string in a pop-rock setting, the folk rock sound that became a mid-60's staple. We all know the Beatles songs that used a similar sound (e.g. Ticket To Ride), the great Byrds hits that did, the Searchers' version, etc., but all this came after De Shannon's groundbreaking recording.

Based on what I've been able to find online, it seems Glen Campbell played it. Certainly it would have been a session musician, part of the band her label hired to help record the song.

Does anyone know?

John54, billdcat, Schmeig and 3 others like this.
  2. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

cwitt1980, Hey Vinyl Man and JDeanB like this.
  3. Gersh

Great! Thanks for this. I must say the riff doesn't sound funky to me, but I guess it is all relative. Maybe she meant the "rocking" quality that later became characteristic of folk rock.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Our buddy Glen, also NEEDLES & PINS.

5. Gersh

I didn't know that either! Many thanks Sir, and for the chance to participate here.

6. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

What a great song, too. I still can't believe no one ever had a really big hit with it. (Yes, I know the Searchers' version made the top 40 - but not by much if I recall correctly.)

7. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Yeah a great song!

8. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Looks like at :07 she starts to lipsync a little early!!!

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

What a great song and Jackie was so cute. I think when she says "funky" she really means a little raw and gritty. Glen could have played it cleanly with impeccable technique. Instead it sounds a little forced or sloppy and that twangy sound adds to the flavor that makes it a catchy hook.

10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I've watched that clip many times and I'm pretty sure she does.

Gersh likes this.
  11. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Cool to hear the original, but to me The Searchers version is still the keeper.

12. Steve Hoffman

Don't be a sillie willie.

John54, action pact and JohnnyH like this.
  13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

A bit off topic but I've been wanting to get into Jackie DeShannon for quite some time. What is a good sounding comp (I like mono) or good album to start with?

14. Gersh

Can't answer that myself since I only discovered Jackie De Shannon from youtube clips some years ago so recommendations would interest me too.

Steve mentioned 12 string playing on her Needles and Pins, which came out before When You Walk In The Room in 1963. I listened again and I have to agree, the Searchers version seems pallid by comparison. I can see how the Searchers helped spread the word about rock and folk rock but the originals are unbeatable IMO. It's interesting to listen to the guitar on her Needles and Pins. It is buried more in the mix and also some of what superficially sound like lead lines are played on piano I think. Probably Glen Campbell, with De Shannon (born Sharon Lee Myers), were still working out the sound that became fully realized in the second song. Campbell was a superb player of course and had great success in his own career but right here with De Shannon created a signature sound, that big chiming stately sound that the Byrds and numerous Beatles songs used to such good effect (but also with good rhythmic propulsion in parts).

It's a sound that Tom Petty and others, like REM, picked up on years later. Looks like it came from the hands of a superstar who at the time was an unsung session player working with De Shannon.

15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

What the World Needs Now is Jackie DeShannon. It's the compilation all other aspire to.

16. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Ace - Front.jpg
    Front.jpg

You should get in to Jackie DeShannon ASAP!!!! Your life will be better for it.

There are a lot of comps, but they all pale in comparison to this pair. All the original mono 45 mixes. On Jackie's insistence. Gorgeous analog-sounding mastering. Accept no substitutes. :)

17. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

ordered! thanks!

Ricko likes this.
  18. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Consider yourself a lucky man - it was a long and excruciating wait for Vol 2 to come out! (We all know how many promised second volumes never happen but good ole Ace finally came through.)

This pair is a real goldmine. They don't sound like a hits or "best of..." comp at all: it's quite an experience to hear so many unbelievably well-made records one after the other. Much much better than the limp stereo versions.

Enjoy! :)

dhoffa85 likes this.
  19. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

How'd you know my nickname? :p

No, I know what you mean, but for some reason The Searchers version always resonated more with me (maybe the sound of the Burns Double Six), but then again to each his own, as that what makes the world go 'round.

P.S. I actually spell it "Silly Willy", thank you very much.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  20. Steve Hoffman

Jack Nitzsche all the way!

Gersh and sirwallacerock like this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

I had a giant crush on Jackie in the late 1970's. My girlfriend at that time worked at UA Music and because of that, I got Jackie to sign my records, sheet music, anything I could find of hers. Love her.

22. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the video. Great song. Steve Forbert did a nice version of it in the mid 80's too.

Grampire likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Those ACE CD's (I haven't heard them) might be OK but collecting Jackie's "FOLK/ROCK" hits can be very confusing.

Bill Inglot or Ron F. would know exact details but there are several DIFFERENT mono mixes of NEEDLES & PINS and WHEN YOU WALK IN THE ROOM. I have two of each on Liberty 45s! And a THIRD alternate mix of NEEDLES & PINS on a Liberty mono acetate.

No idea which was used on the ACE but if you are a big fan of those two songs, start with the actual 45's on eBay...

24. guyanthonybrown

guyanthonybrown Forum Resident

I was catching up on old unread Wall Street Journals recently - yeah I'm a luddite and still get the printed copy - and found this article on Jackie de Shannon from 12/2013
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303560204579248523409521390

Not only does the lady still radiate the blonde perfection that seemed to so perfectly compliment those great songs, but she comes across in this article as well as a very genuinely nice person.

Me and my musical mates have been hacking around with 'When You Walk In The Room' recently. I think that is her top draw classic.

Ron F - he of this parish - did a compilation 20 years ago, which ain't a bad place to start if you are new to this lady. Playing it now, sounds quite OK indeed jackiedeshannon462578.jpg

25. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Completely understood.
    It's probably on youtube somewhere, but I have a Hullabaloo DVD at home, and she's on one of the few color episodes. Unfortunately, she's not doing any of her own material, but it's impossible to see her truncated version of "You Got Your Troubles" and NOT fall for her. Incredible combination of talent, beauty and class.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.