Who Played Lead 12-string Guitar on Jackie De Shannon's When You Walk In The Room?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gersh, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I just found this thread and wanted to comment on how good the aforementioned singles collections are, the single mix of "What The World Needs Now" gives me chills every time I spin it on the CD.

2. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

What an interesting life she's led, the people she's met or played with: (dated ?) Elvis, opened for The Beatles on their 1964 US tour, The Byrds, The Searchers, Burt Bacharach, recorded with (dated?) Jimmy Page (supposedly LZ's Tangerine is about her), Van Morrison, and on and on. Sure wish she'd write her autobiography. I've bought all the reissue CDs that have come out over the past 10 or so years, plus the comps. What an amazing writer, singer, and a cutie on top of all that!

Bill and bluemooze like this.
  3. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

I love the great shots 1969 LA

mlew likes this.
  4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I'm sometimes struck by the - what I can only call parochialness - of comments on this site. Whether they're posters from the US with little knowledge of what happened in the UK, posters from the UK with little knowledge of what happened in the US, or posters from anywhere with little knowledge of what happened in continental Europe, Japan, Australasia or anywhere else.

Anyway, what has led me to this mini-rant is the fact that the Searchers' version of When You Walk In The Room reached No. 3 in the UK charts in 1964. I'd call that a pretty big hit.

Bill and paolo like this.
  5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

So would I. But I think it was clear from context that I meant in the US. If not, consider the clarification made now.

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Jackie's is actually faster, but it has that "old timey" novelty feel. Kim Carnes version is better.

Recently got hold of Jackie's 70s slick commercial album, "Your Baby is a Lady." Not great, but nice to complete the collection.

7. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident Thread Starter

So would I, but her version still left theirs in the dust.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  8. I love "When You Walk In The Room"! I've lugged a 12-string to lots of gigs just to play that riff. I learned it from a Springsteen bootleg from his '75 tour.

9. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice to know Bruce played it. Pretty awesome praise right there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.