Who sold their record/cd collection to go hi res digital?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

As I hear many times in the forum, " It does matter what format as long as you are enjoying the music"

Very true , anyone out there who has a system with Vinyl/cd/tuner/cassette/open reel/Internet radio & the various ways of obtaining computer/hi res digital audio is having the best of both worlds. The music is serving them.

However there are people who have outed all physical media for digital.

Could I please have the genuine reason for doing so? Was it convience , space saving, flexibility or (controversial but a fact of life) pressure from your nearest & dearest ????

Of course there is the reason of obtaining fantastic sound quality. Please tell me about the improvement , your system & your reasons for it's superiority over physical media.

For me personally I collect records (1950s to early 1980s) & fortunately have enough space to store them . I have been lucky to have bought plenty vinyl & cd. I used to have loads of VHS tapes with stuff taped off TV but I have since slung it . Nowadays You Tube & my PVR takes care of it

Lastly are you 100% happy you have gone all out digital or a little bit sorry you sold off physical media?

Sorry I do not want to hear from anyone who has Physical & Digital . Just devoted digital citizens only

Thanks?

2. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

All the way baby, 15 years and counting. I'll never regret going all digital front end. Simple, clean, organized. Have hard drive, dac, headphones, pc, will travel.
    I do keep analog equipment for transferring finds to digital. No need for analog playback only from flawed analog mediums. Sell all hard copies as soon as possible. Digital has come a long way my friend, the benefits and quality make a very compelling case over analog mediums.
    But if you have the space and temperament to store hard copies, why not, it's your privilege as it is to us that love to travel life light, thus digital.

3. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I got rid of my CDs because I never play them. Simple as that.

JPartyka likes this.
  4. The Good Guy

Sorry Sid . I only wanted replies from people who do not currently own a turntable/cd player & physical media. Thanks

5. Good luck with that on this forum!

jlc76, 5-String, athensdrums and 8 others like this.
  6. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

X2^ (equals, I agree with him also)

7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Only fools would do such a thing.:D

Coricama, SteelyTom, formu_la and 6 others like this.
  8. mds

mds Forum Resident

Have gun will shoot in foot. I remember way back when I sold my vinyl collection to go all digital/CDs, hmmm sometimes I wonder if I'd be a vinyl junkie now if I'd kept those old CDs and didn't give up on them so fast. Won't do that again when it comes to jumping on the band wagon for a sole exclusive ride in another medium such as digital files.

Shak Cohen and Peter Pyle like this.
  9. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Im doing the exact opposite. Just got sick of faceless files and clicking. It aint any fun.

Quiet Earth, krisbee, arar and 5 others like this.
  10. The Good Guy

I admire your honesty. Yes being involved (holding the LP /cd/cassette...making a tape etc) was part of the fun.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Presently, selling off or giving away redbook CD's acquired for convenience in taking music on the road and to office.
    The iPod has done the portable task much better.
    I've never quit buying vinyl since I was a kid in the 60's, buying more now, than ever before.
    All is good here!

12. kenrothman

kenrothman Senior Member

I got rid of most, if not all of my CDs, but still have plenty of LPs.

I don't really fetishize the objects themselves ... for LPs for example, care much more about the condition of the vinyl vs the sleeve.

For me, for CDs, the bits take up less space on a hard drive and my house looks much "cleaner" as a result.

Just keep good backups!

whistler likes this.
  13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Sold the record collection and went digital, although the current setup permits hi res by default. No quibbles and I don't miss vinyl.

Edit: and I get the point of your thread, but I use digital on the go and at home via WAV and flac files as well as physical media. Sound quality is excellent but arguably the best was off a flash drive. They are all excellent.

14. The Good Guy

Fair enough.

15. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I got rid of a substantial collection of LPs, and then even to a greater extent CDs to go all digital. I kept CDs of some faves like Bowie and Miles Davis, but mostly it's all gone. I'm absolutely thrilled with the decision. Listening to everything in ALAC through my Arcam rDAC and etc. sounds amazing, and I have a lifetime of music purchases at my fingertips. Back everything up every couple weeks, continue to buy new CDs and rip them to my library... yup this is the best I've ever had it.

Atmospheric and timind like this.
  16. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I don't think that I can find more than 5 pct of the music I have on CD and vinyl in hi-rez digital format. Isn't the choice still very limited?

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

When the most banal band of all time goes Hi-Rez I will dump my cd's :D
    [​IMG]

Simon A and delmonaco like this.
  18. timind

timind phorum rezident

Many moons ago I sold my lp collection to go all digital. Regrets? At times I have felt regrets, but those are fleeting moments and haven't surfaced of late. The convenience is a huge factor for me; never was one for all the ritual of playing lps.

As for actually dumping the cds, I don't see this happening as storing them seems much less invasive than storing lps. Also, even though I have a backup hard drive, the cds are the ultimate backup for me.

19. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Completely digital now. I only retain physical media long enough to resell or donate to charity. I couldn't be happier.

I started off 15 years ago by ripping my CD collection to MP3. But once I knew what to listen for, MP3's poor sound became unacceptable to me.

Nearly 7 years ago I set out to replace my MP3-based library with lossless source. I completed that about a year ago and couldn't be happier. Approximately 30% of my library is hi-res, although due to limitations in other playback equipment (e.g., iPhone, AppleTV) I don't go beyond 24/96.

There's so much I love about a digital front end. The sheer surprise of serendipitous play sequences when a portion of my library is on shuffle. And being a bit of a statistics person, a digital front end provides me all the stats I could ever want.

And the sound... over the years I've owned vinyl playback systems and CD playback systems. Nothing sounds as good as the system I currently have. No muss, no fuss. Just the music I love anytime I want to listen to it.

saturnsf, timind and Halloween_Jack like this.
  20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Is not ripping to digital and them selling the original sources actually illegal or even more importantly, unethical. I have all my cd's ripped, but retain the originals. I rip vinyl that is not easily available on Beats or digital. I love the digital, but much of the benefit is lost in the still massive pile of stuff in my collection.

(Honestly, I don't get too wrapped up in piracy debates, as I don't like the one sided nature of the record companies arguments. After all If I'm actually just buying the right to listen, shouldn't they give me a replacement when the media is damaged???)

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  21. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Illegal yes. Unethical no.

I claim squatter's rights on back catalog content that record labels deem to be too unprofitable to release. My rule of thumb is that if the only way I can obtain music is by ripping a used CD, then it's fair game. Clearly the record companies aren't interested in capturing the revenue from this music or they would make a good faith attempt to sell it to me.

In 2014 there is no good reason for anyone to compel me to store physical media if I don't want to. The law be damned. If the labels don't like that, then simply offer me an opportunity to download the music in a lossless format. Oh yeah, and none of this having to buy an entire album (or even worse) a $300 box set to get a few songs. Would you ever buy potato chips if you had to buy 11 other bags just to get the one bag you wanted? Hell no.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Grant likes this.
  22. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

Not wishing to stir up a hornets nest here, but isn't selling the CDs on and keeping the ripped files technically illegal (keeping the moral areas out of this for a second)? I'm pretty sure I read that on here that that was the case, but it might vary by country. I rarely look at my CD booklets now, and the whole collection is on my hard drive. I do get tempted to sell it all on sometimes I must admit.

Edit: looks like somebody got there before me with this question :)

Atmospheric likes this.
  23. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I thought the op was just talking about hi-rez, not rips of 16/44?

24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I don't disagree on old OOP titles. I also see nothing wrong with me downloading a vinyl rip online, IF I own the same lp and am just saving the time to do it. And I don't get caught up in the fact that the one ripped was a better version than mine, as it is certainly not my fault that the music companies released different units of the same music. Not talking of remasters, just difference within the same product.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm sure that it is technically illegal to rip and sell. However one fact that may mitigate the seriousness of the wrong is that selling used CD's these days is no longer a money-making proposition. Unless the CD is very rare and collectible, anyone who rips and sells is going to be taking a financial loss. That keeps me holding onto my physical stuff - I can't bear the thought of getting rid of CD's that I paid real money for, and in some cases spent considerable time tracking down for the best price, for pennies on the dollar. But a considerable amount of my collection is ripped and the first thing I do with any new acquisition is to rip it so I can listen to it on my Sansa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.