Who today is pushing the musical boundaries?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rickg, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Death Grips

Gaslight likes this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He's too much of an a-hole to listen too.

tin ears and Jack Flash like this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Viet Cong have a catchy name, but they're basically an Interpol knockoff.

4. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

CKY is really unique. If someone can find me something that sounds like them, please post it, because I'm unaware of anyone else who does what they do.

5. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Enslaved...metal, jazz, prog, splash of 90's era Quarterstick recordings on the new album.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    Pericles and Aftermath like this.
  6. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Push it .... push it real good.
    Ehhhhh, pushing the envelope for too many years.
    Time to lick your stamps and paste them in.

7. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

What about Ariel Pink? He's quite unique and seems to be following his own path.

Spooky, Ash76 and wolfram like this.
  8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

D'Angelo
    Robert Glasper

SteelyTom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  9. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

Both bands are certainly influenced by Joy Division. Viet Cong is pushing the sound way further than Interpol ever did. They're a much heavier and better band. For instance, this one sounds like experimental electronica into early Eno into 80s new wave. It's way more interesting than anything Interpol ever put out.

10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

More votes for Julia Holter, alt-J, Popstrangers, Glass Animals, Ariel Pink, Arthur Beatrice, Syd Arthur, fka Twigs, etc. Plenty of compelling music out there, no need to search terribly hard.

Out of curiosity, which Interpol records sound just like Viet Cong? All I ever heard from Interpol was bad Joy Division knockoffs, which isn't what VC are doing at all.

11. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

St. Vincent

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Husband/wife friends of mine noticed this, as well, when Viet Cong came on XMU in the car.

Will have to defer to you on this one. Find them somewhat interesting, but don't detect anything truly ground-breaking or astounding in their sound.

13. Catbird

Catbird Forum Resident

No, go on please. I'd like to read what you have to write. Sometimes left-field can make it big (see posts about Sigur Ros) and become mainstream.

14. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

If you love guitar music, and love some of the past and present Fahey disciples like Leo Kottke and Glenn Kotche and JimO'Rourke and all the others, Steve Gunn is one of the most prolific artists recording today, under his own name, and with many collaborators. Below is the one from 2013 with Mike Gangloff, Melodies For A Savage Fix, pretty amazing ... http://freq.org.uk/reviews/mike-gangloff-steve-gunn/ ... btw, also just saw that his great 2013 RSD collab with Hiss Golden Messenger, Golden Gunn, got a repress on silver vinyl, good news ...

15. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Swans are the first band that comes to mind. The Seer was very different. If you haven't given it a whirl set yourself an hour or so and give it a go. Pretty dense and tense.

Other artists...
    Lantlos
    D'Angelo (although I draw a bunch of Prince comparisons, just really interesting and authentic RnB)
    Shellac
    Parquet Courts (very refreshing, kinda like Pavement meets Talking Heads meets The Ramones and like nothing being played by any other 'indie' bands)
    Nick Cave - almost spoken word now, atmospheric and so modern sounding despite his vintage

The above artists are by no means changing anything though... just taking their own sounds to a new place, which is appreciated in todays, at times rather stale music environment.

JL6161 likes this.
  16. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

Kronos Quartet

17. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

PJ Harvey

mikeburns likes this.
  18. BrentNC

BrentNC Forum Resident

Flying Lotus
    Death Grips
    Die Antwoord. This one is arguable musically but in terms of visual art and video they are certainly pushing boundaries.
    ....off the top of my head.

marcfeld69 and Machiventa like this.
  19. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Musical Goldminer

You don't have to leave the pop-rock music sphere to find appealing music that treads its own path. Among the best 21st century artists let's not forget Norah Jones' colorful, cynical-yet-hopeful, but always tuneful The Fall, or, for those who love songs that tell stories, the modern prog rock of The Decemberists. Lately, I've been listening to Pink Martini and also Caro Emerald, who re-jigger the sound of the '40's & '50's into something that sounds very fresh in the 2000's. How about Calexico? Superficially, they do the same thing that Santana did merging American & Latin American popular music 30 years before, yet sound very different.

And there are those older kids who keep coming up with creative solutions to the Tired-of-the-Same-Old-Thing Blues; meaning folks like David Byrne and Bill Nelson who have been nudging boundaries since 1970-something. And nobody even mentioned those brilliant soundscape crafters with the knack for sharp social commentary, Porcupine Tree!

20. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, Calexico are pretty much there own genre.

Geee! likes this.
  21. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

lol

Peter Pyle likes this.
  22. Jack Flash

23. Jack Flash

Beat me to it. Great band.

24. Jack Flash

Sums up Kanye pretty well. ;)

25. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Probably because they haven't been together for the last 5 years, have they? Steven Wilson would be a good addition to this thread though, his latest is very good, nice sound, and maybe doesn't push any boundaries of old, but sometimes works outside of the "normal" rock boundaries of today.

Sordel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.