Who was hurt the most by not being in the Monterey Pop movie?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Jan 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

The Black Keys
    Bozo The Clown
    Frank Sinatra
    The Flintstones
    Jack The Ripper

2. michanes

michanes oh yeah

Great thread, but I'm stuck on this regarding Magic Mountain - I can't find any Country Joe and the Fish audio. Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough. Is there really existent audio? Thanks in advance.

3. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

IS there any surviving audio is my question.

4. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'll go with the Beach Boys. If they could have done it well (and not in corny clothes) and instead sang what they were currently working on (Smile songs perhaps) along with some Pet Sounds material, chances are Pet Sounds would have sold better in the USA after the show and Smile may have actually come out. However, as time has gone by, I'm kind of glad they didn't. They could have gone a whole different route and we wouldn't have gotten what I consider their best period (Wild Honey - Holland).

6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The Byrds doing "Hey Joe" was so amazingly bad it made me laugh. Just about any garage band could have done a better job on it. That's not a lasting impression most bands would want to leave with anyone I suspect. I definitely agree with all previous who said they dodged a bullet not being put in the film--regardless of any of Crosby's stage ramblings.

I haven't watched the Criterian bonus DVDs since 2003, so I can't remember much specifics of the acts left out of the main film except how terrible The Byrds were. Otherwise the impression I'm left with was out of the bonus discs performance people left out of the film, the acts I was familiar with (like The Byrds) were either surprisingly bad, or just dull in general. Other acts I wasn't familiar with at all had wonderful performances--now whether that was Quicksilver or someone else, I have no idea now.

7. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Dionne Warwick - considered more of a " contemporary " singer then - played Monterey Pop too, but was not filmed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.