Who Would've Stayed Cool Had They Not Died Before Their Time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. J., May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Given the music we talk about in most threads on this board, there's a reason that the majority of users are older here--the stuff we focus on is mostly uncool now. Our core demographic is like the core demographic at a Todd Rundgren show, where I always get the impression that I'm on the "young" side of the average age, and I'm 55. At Rundgren shows, you see the occasional person in their 30s or below, but they're almost without fail there with their parents, and it's not more than 1% of the audience.

We might love something and still feel that it's cool--heck, I loved (and still love) Jefferson Starship and even Starship, but in a broader cultural context, we're old farts who tend to like very uncool stuff.

owlshead, Crimson Witch and c-eling like this.
  2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

what then is considered 'cool', pray tell?

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The Buddy Holly votes confuse me, as he was already becoming uncool (in my opinion) with the orchestral backing in his later work.

crispi likes this.
  4. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Even though I'm not a Sid or Pistols fan, and am a fan of Eddie Cochran, and generally would hate punk covers of rockabilly songs, I think Sid was real cool with those Cochran songs.

Imagine70 and Man at C&A like this.
  5. Terrapin Station

At the moment, stuff like (just listed in alphabetical order) Aphex Twin, Brockhampton, Car Seat Headrest, Death Grips, Deerhunter, Fleet Foxes, Frank Ocean, Joanna Newsom, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, LCD Soundsystem, Mount Eerie, Nick Cave, Oneohtrix Point Never, Radiohead, Run the Jewels, Slowdive, Swans, Tame Impala

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

I picked Ronnie Van Zant. He wouldn't have changed.

ODShowtime likes this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Yeah, Holly might have been a bridge between 50s rock & roll and Beatles-era rock, but I always had the impression of people lumping him in more with the 50s side of things, and basically none of those artists remained cool for very long.

I think a lot of that was due to radio playlists. From the later 60s at least, most rock-oriented radio stations had playlists that "acted" like rock began more or less in 1965-1966, which gave the impression of earlier stuff being passe if not kind of corny.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Christopher B likes this.
  8. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Cobain was so adamantly punk that it's hard to imagine him making the same techno-inspired work that many of his rock peers turned to in the late 90s.

Christopher B likes this.
  9. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

I'm convinced Cliff Burton eventually would have leave Metallica in the early 90's and start a band with Glenn Danzig, probably the coolest band we'll never see/hear

Complier likes this.
  10. Jwest97

Jwest97 Bass Player for Luxury Furniture Store

As tempted as I was to say "Jimi Hendrix," "Ian Curtis," and "Kurt Cobain," I feel like their music would have eventually gotten stale as they kept releasing albums. (At least that's my guess.) But, Nick Drake is kind of artsy and seems like he wouldn't be the kind of musician to realease so many albums that he just would've just exhausted fan's enthusiasm for new albums. I also thought of Stevie Ray Vaughn because of his raw technical proficiency. Even if his music started leaving the public eye as most blues rock did, he seems like he'd be able to adapt or keep those blues rock fans satisfied forever.

11. Terrapin Station

As a niche thing, yeah, but technical proficiency (in that sense) on an instrument stopped being cool by the early to nud 90s. The hair metal bands are what ultimately proved to be the death knell of that in broader culture.

ODShowtime likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

nobody, because the very nature of cool lays side by side with the tall poppy syndrome, and as soon as they're up people cut them down.

for every person that loves the beatles there is a person that abhors the beatles because of that love.

for every person that loves the stones as an exciting rock band there is a person that thinks they are boring

for every person that thinks the sex pistols were exciting and changed rock there is a person that thinks that they were just another form of the monkees in a different age with different clothes

Terrapin Station likes this.
  13. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

SRV and Morrison my guess...

14. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

Kevin Gilbert.

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Jimi Hendrix
    Nick Drake
    Elliott Smith

16. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Plus, his music around the time of hid death (Solo and Queen) was not that 'cool'. 70's Freddie was cool, though.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Pete Ham

oboogie likes this.
  18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

John Bonham
    Cliff Burton
    Duane Allman
    Bon Scott
    Pigpen

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes, he was seen as cool in 1980. Who do you think was? Reagun?

21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Buddy Holly c. 1967, contact lenses and hippy gear.

[​IMG]

22. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Getting that Nick Drake is now seen as a big influence, but this wasn't really the case during his lifetime. Plus, wasn't the guy manic depressive? How is that cool?

Dudley Morris likes this.
  23. Crimson Witch

I've only heard 3 of those, and then not a lot ~ looks as though I've some catching up.. good of you to post ! :thumbsup:

Terrapin Station likes this.
  24. Crimson Witch

astonishing .. I never noticed the vague resemblance between Robin and Buddy ..

nikh33 likes this.
  25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

From the list I went with Hendrix.

I also think Duane Allman should be on the list. Given his session work with various artists and his playing with The Allman Brothers he definitely would have continued to be a relevant musician.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.