Who's Next Deluxe- An early report

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reb, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul Thread Starter

Well, I'm on a buying spree and picked this up even though.....

The packaging is the familiar deluxe mca foldout digi-pak.
    The cd nubs are the new solid type that won't break off.
    CD one is black and replicates the track label.
    CD two is black and replicates the decca label (but no colour)

I don't recall word for word what White Fang said, but from what I can remember he was generally correct.

The Original Album- You wanted the fat sound of analog tape- here it is.
    Record Plant- As expected
    Young Vic- As expected - with a capitol A.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Is this version of WN worth buying? If just for the Vic material, or is the transfer of the WN master really, really good?

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

reb,

Do you have the Steve mastered version? If so, I wonder how the new remaster stacks up against Steve's version?

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

I posted this a couple of days ago, but I fear it got lost in the previous WN thread...

I have the new 2-disc Deluxe set as well. I was gonna compare it to Steve's version which was when I learned I didn't have Steve's version! Oh well. :(

Anyway, from the little I've heard of the deluxe set (so far), I have to say I think it's pretty good. It's much less hissy than the non-SH Japanese MCA that I have (as well as the tracks on the box set), but it's also a touch louder, so It'll be interesting to see what the graphs look like. ;) I couldn't hear any obvious signs of NR even through headphones, but then I'm not sure if i could detect any but the most blatant NR. (I rarely listen through cans, anyway).

I also realized that this may be the first Astley-mastered CD in my collection. Hard to believe, but I didn't notice any others on the list posted the other day. I guess that might make me unbiased, but at the same time just knowing how everyone feels about Astley on this site could color one's perceptions.

Anyway, regardless of how WN sounds, the discs contain over 100 minutes of other music, little of which I've heard before. Who's Next is one of my favorite rock albums of all time, so I think this is still an exceptional package if only for the bonus stuff.

Ray

5. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I don't have it yet but plan on getting it for the Young Vic material. An hours worth of previously unavailable live Who w/ Moon is too good to pass up. The sound of the Young Vic material may turn out to be crap but there is no other place to get it so I'm sold.

Chris

6. Larry

Larry Member

I just did a quick listen to disk 1. So far it is supprisely good. (Tracks 1-9) Disk 2 has had the life sucked out of though. What a shame. I have not had time to dig out Steve's version and due a proper comparision.

7. Chris M

Sound quality aside how are the live tracks? Good performances? I'm really looking forward to hearing the Who's Next material live w/ Moon.

Chris

8. reb

I think it's safe to say that there is now enough info out for everyone to make an educated buying decision. Are you a Who fan- then buy it- what choice do we have other than to accept it for what it is. An additional thought is to wait for the SACD version but the packaging will not be deluxe. Then there is always the boots to supplement.

9. Chris M

Well, I think only a few of the Young Vic tracks have been booted. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Very booted. Some of the vic stuff was on the last 1992 remaster of WN if memory serves. I don't have the CD w/me.

11. Chris M

Hmmm....Naked Eye and Water from the Young Vic was on the '95 reissue but those were the the only Young Vic tracks on that disc. I think a few of the other Young Vic tracks were booted in crap quality but I'm fairly certain many of these tracks are new to circulation.

Chris

12. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Who's Next Deluxe Edition is a very nice package for Who fans. Is it essential for everyone? No, I think casual fans are fine with the regular version of WN.
    Who fans are a rabid bunch and I'm sure they'll pick this version up at some point.

JohnG

13. Larry

Larry Member

I would say that the live performances are at best, uneven. I enjoyed Time is Passing, Pure and Easy, and Young Man Blues. Remember the songs were a work in progress at this time, and defiantly sound tentative. Keith had not yet put his mark on the songs to make them his own, I am sorry to say.

14. Matt

Matt New Member

"Gutter Punks," a live boot on the first leg of the Who's Next tour, is supposedly one of the best performances the band ever put down, and the sound is pretty good (for a boot), too. MUCH better than the Vic performances.

15. reb

The background pictures / artwork behind the clear disc holders show a picture of the master reel tape boxes. I wonder if Steve would recognize them after all these years. There is a blue track listing card over each box. But the boxes are orange and I believe Steve said the brand was BASF. Did BASF come in an orange box.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Seven, by my count... hopefully I've got this right:

Young Vic tracks on the Deluxe Edition which have been booted:
    Too Much Of Anything
    Getting In Tune
    Bargain
    My Generation
    Road Runner
    Naked Eye
    Won't Get Fooled Again

Young Vic tracks from the Deluxe Edition which have never been booted:
    Love Ain't For Keeping
    Pure And Easy
    Young Man Blues
    Time Is Passing
    Behind Blue Eyes
    I Don't Even Know Myself

YV tracks which are still only available on the boot:
    Pinball Wizard
    See Me, Feel Me
    Baby Don't You Do It

YV tracks which are on the boot and other official releases, but not on the Deluxe Edition:
    Water (on the 1995 Who's Next remaster)
    Boney Maronie (Maximum R&B box)

The boot is a mono recording and not the best mix (the drums are too quiet) so even if the DE is slathered in NoNoise and compression it should still offer an upgrade from the boot.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Note that BM (while having a better mix) is edited on the box set. The unedited version (or longer, anyway) was released as part of the 1988 WGFA EP. Unfortunately the mix is pretty strange.

18. Guys, do we know for sure that there will be a SACD version, because if there will be, I don't want to buy the redbook cd after all!!!!

If I do buy the std. cd, I have the Canadian SH version and can compare them on headphones all tomorrow afternoon.

19. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Who's Next Early Report

OK here’s my one-cent worth contribution.
    Versions used for comparison:
    1984 MCAD-37217 Manufactured in Japan, Steve Hoffman
    1986 MCAD-37217 Manufactured in USA, NOT-Steve Hoffman
    1986 MCAD-37217 Manufactured by Cinram, Canadian
    1995 MCAD-11269 Remix
    199? MCAD-11312 Gold-Glenn Meadows
    1999 MFSL UDCD 754 Gold (1995 remix)
    199? MCABD-37217 Currently available Canadian
    2003 Universal 088 113 056-2 deluxe 2CD

I’ll cut to the chase and say this about the original 9 tracks on the DELUXE version:
    1.The high frequencies are smooth. The sibilance on the vocals is gone.
    2.The mid-range has more transparency and resolution than ever before.
    3.There is more solid Entwistle bass than ever before.

I am told Steve recognized the tape box on the new package as being the same one he used back in 1984. So, the extra bass on the DE must be the result of serious EQ.

So, is this IT?
    Not so fast.
    Jon Astley CAN NOT and WILL NOT remaster a CD without using his toys.
    Still, my ears are happier with the 1984 Steve Hoffman MCA CD. This is, however, VERY GOOD news. I am looking forward to the Universal LP even if it is digital. Others should be looking forward to the SACD. If you are a Who fan with no interest on SACD, buy this CD. Casual Who fans do not need the DELUXE version.

BC

20. Ere

Ere Senior Member

No official word yet. An educated guess would lead me to say yes, given that MG came out on SACD relatively soon after the DE. Universal Music Group seems to be pretty big on the format too. I haven't heard back yet from a contact person I called there, if I do I'll pass the word.

Ere

21. When is the DSOTM SACD being released up here? Gary? John? Graham?
    Inquiring Canadians are on a need to know basis. :)

22. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I don't know about the DSOTM. However, I d like to know about David Goodwin.
    Is he gone?
    What's the story?

BC

23. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

quote:
    Originally posted by miike
    When is the DSOTM SACD being released up here? Gary? John? Graham?
    Inquiring Canadians are on a need to know basis.

I phoned my local A7B Sound Saturday and was told that it shold hit the shelves on Tuesday.
    That's today, they open at 10:00 am local time. Gonna phone at 10:01

24. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

He's on a semi-permanent vacation from the forum, unless he's willing to talk to us and change some behavior he has.

Please, let's end discussing this here in public, ok?

jeff

25. reb

Back to the thread.

May I say RIP to The Ox. You can't help but think about him when you hear this new mastering. The bass is fat, full and meaty. - big and bouncy too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.