Who’s Next vs. Quadrophenia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 2141, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Sell Out? ;)

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

When I first heard Quadrophenia, it didn't click with me. From my current perspective, I think Quad is the better album.

That said, I vote for Who's Next.........timeless classic.

3. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

not tough at all: Quad. Who's Next has Baba which is the best song amongst the two records, but Quad has so much deeper stuff - has the great instrumentals - has some of Pete's quality vocals - has less rock starishness in it!!

Bernard hansen likes this.
  4. zen

zen Senior Member

It's a tie.

DrBeatle and SonicBob like this.
  5. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Who's Next.

6. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

I really like the deluxe version of Who's Next as it features live stuff from the Young Vic and songs that should have been included with the original are: Time is Passing, Pure and Easy, I Don't Even Know Myself, Water, Too Much of Anything and Naked Eye. Perhaps it could've been a double just as Quadrophenia is. I like both, it's a tie. Favorites from 'Phenia would be: Punk Meets the Godfather, I'm One, The Real Me, Sea and Sand, Doctor Jimmy, Drowned, The Rock and Bell Boy.

Bernard hansen likes this.
  7. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Absolutely

SKean likes this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

The stuff of children. :edthumbs:

9. john fisher

john fisher Well-Known Member

Who's Next...one of the greatest records ever made!

10. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Yeah, but I do love Quadrophrenia as well.

Who's next, is just the ultimate classic rock album.

And with the bonus tracks, even better.

11. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Agreed, although if there was a Who's Next 5.1 mix things could be different.....

Carlox and Deek57 like this.
  12. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I always thought Who's Next was their best, until I got the Blu Ray 5.1 of Quad. Stunning.

Now, get me a 5.1 of Who's Next and I might change my mind again.

Carlox likes this.
  13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Both!!! What's really sad is that I think about today's bands and would be ecstatic if some group would just release ONE album as good as both of these. What a time for the Who. Running on all cylinders. Sad that Quadrophenia wouldn't be recognized for its greatness for many years after.

14. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I’m not a particularly huge Who fan, but Who’s Next is my preference here.

Carlox likes this.
  15. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Who's Next.

Carlox likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'd like to hear that but it looks like the BD is out of print and I'm not spending $99. The SHM-SACDs of both are quite stunning. Both showcase the band at the peak of their powers, and I really can't choose a favorite. Been listening to this stuff since pre-teen years and The Who was my first rock concert (unfortunately for my ears).

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I prefer "Who's Next". "Quadrophenia", which I also love, does tend to get a little tiresome by the end. Everything is a little too samey sounding at times. For me.

Carlox likes this.
  18. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

How did I miss this originally--on my birthday, no less!

This, minus "Perhaps." ;)

... and this for good measure. :) -E

19. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

It could be called Whose Next? and it would still win by a landslide: Who's Next

When you take double LP/CD sets and put them up against arguably one of the greatest albums EVER in rock history, it isn't even a fair match-up.

Also, this should have been a poll.

Carlox likes this.
  20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Then I would have do a behind the back shuffle, or give up and play Tommy, but which one the Blu-ray or the SACD..

21. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Who's Next introduced me to the Who. Perfect album. Quadrophenia still wipes the floor with it in every conceivable aspect.

Again not a knock against Who's Next. I wouldn't want to be without either one. But to me, Quadrophenia doesn't have the over-dramatic moments that Who's Next does (yes, you read that right). Bits and pieces of Who's Next, to me, sound like they're trying too hard. Maybe I'm just jaded from the "Behind Blue Eyes" overplay, but it just sounds way too over-the-top to me now. That doesn't happen with Quadrophenia for me. That one sits at either second or third place out of all the albums I've ever listened to.

Carlox and Jet Age Eric like this.
  22. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Quadrophenia all the way! I love Who's Next but Quad gets my vote.

Spadeygrove, SKean and Jet Age Eric like this.
  23. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

According to classic rock radio, the Who have six songs ("My Generation", "Who Are You", "Pinball Wizard", and the three from here). Everyone knows what it's like to be the Batman in the Teenage Wasteland YYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! now. I'd kill to hear "The Real Me" or "How Many Friends" or something on the radio.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. Daddy Harper

Daddy Harper Well-Known Member

Two of the the greatest rock albums. Not a single note of 'filler' on either for me. Quadrophenia is still a very easy choice for me because no other album seemed to speak to me on such a personal level. Through good times and bad it's been there since I bought it on release. Townsend himself rated it his best work.

25. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Back in the 80's, the AOR stations were playing five cuts from Who's Next constantly: "Baba O'Riley", "Won't Get Fooled Again", "Behind Blue Eyes", "Bargain", and "Going Mobile". All five. Almost every day. And that's when they weren't playing the other three you mentioned or "Magic Bus".

Carlox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.