Who's Not Able To Afford $100 Plus Boxsets?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

A ticket to be part of his pick up band.

2. moops

moops Senior Member

Forget $100.00 box sets, Mr H is currently recommending a $20,000 phono stage over in the hardware section.

3. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

I rationalize, need to be a selective, I have no problem buying the occasional box,Kinks,Dylan, Allmans, Velvets and artists I love and certainly get more mileage from them than going to a 15 dollar movie and paying for at least 3. The question is more than $ but also buying into a box set that is marketed as a piece of enduring "art" for the collector and dreamer within us.

4. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Well, in my next job, I'll most likely be able to afford them. But I tend to refuse to buy stuff that I already have. Hence, the number of boxed sets I own is just 2. And one was bought in affordable used condition.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I can afford them but I have never been tempted to pay for all that fancy packaging. If I can get the music and video without all the fuss, that's enough for me.

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Not only that, I couldn't afford it's younger brother (the one that didn't have the vinyl or the sunglasses, but everything else!) and was still very expensive.

But I waited a few years and finally found one used for a reasonable price!

7. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Well, I am one of those hated millionaires and generally pass on the expensive boxes...generally.. passed on the Harrison box, the Mono LP Box, will likely bend for the Basement tapes..

Brother Maynard and jerrygene like this.
  8. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

This post is amusing...the collector from Wikepedia...
    Psychologists have often taken a Freudian perspective when describing why people collect.[7] They highlight the controlling and impulsive dark side to collecting, the need for people to have "an object of desire." This desire, and hence the innate propensity to collect, begins at birth. The infant first desires the emotional and physical comfort of the nourishing breast, then the familiar baby blanket the child clings to for comfort and security. Stuffed animals, favorite toys are taken to bed and provide the emotional security needed to fall asleep. A sense of ownership and control is facilitated through possession of these items for the vulnerable child.[8] Freud himself took a more extreme position on the origins of collecting. Not surprisingly, he postulated that all collecting stems from unresolved toilet training conflict.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

As with everything else in life, some things have too high a price or sit too low on my priority list.
    But, if I could afford everything, where would I put it all? I can't afford a house big enough.

audiomixer likes this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Welcome to my world.

John Fell likes this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I've gone digital for much of the bonus material that comes out - I just don't want to re-buy certain albums and tracks for the umpteenth time but like to cherry pick live rarities and b-sides.

majoyenrac likes this.
  12. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Rosebud

let him run... and EVOLVIST like this.
  13. sami

sami Mono still rules

This.

14. Agent 34

Agent 34 Forum Resident

I can't afford the space. Big boxes lost their appeal to me a long time ago when I had to start storing them in the backs of cupboards.

15. sami

sami Mono still rules

I can't remember the last box set or even high priced new vinyl that I bought new when it was released. Wait a while, usually not that long, and you can get it discounted, or more commonly for me, used at a huge discount.

Even if I have the money, there's nothing I absolutely must have on the day of release. There's way too much other stuff to get that I also waited for.

And then there are the ones that after hearing feedback, I'm happy I held off from buying.

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Some boxes are reasonably priced for what they offer, but I have to say that I'm not a huge fan of the trend of releasing multiple-disc collections for single albums. The only such box I've purchased to date was heavily discounted by Amazon, making it about the price of most 2-cd sets.

17. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I bought the 2009 Beatles Box set because i had a mish mash of their CD's and some of them sounded terrible. I was very happy with the remasters, especially the ability to more clearly here bass and drums.

I will buy a box set only if it offers something that I dont have that I like. The Tom Petty Anthology, with 4 live recordings, a single disc blu ray in high res and 5.1 of all the recordings, and two DVD's, in particular the 1978 Concert is simply a ton of value. They are a great live band. That '78 concert rocked! People (me included) always go on about the loss of drummer Stand Lynch. Seeing this concert helps folks appreciate these comments

I love The Byrds and their collection box set from the early 90's is excellent, very good SQ. Unfortunately out of print.

All that said, I am selective, and I am never motivated because they put ticket replicas of other trinkets in the package.

I gave away my Beatles trading cards to Carol Thompson when I was 7 in 1965, hoping she would be my girlfriend. She was nine, it didnt work out!

Six String likes this.
  18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Hmm, I'm at odds here. My mind is struggling to fight the urge. I'm trying to resist ......should I thread crap.......or..or .....place an Amazon order.:D

jerrygene likes this.
  19. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

No, I can't afford $100 box sets because of financial/employment situations. Sometimes, I just don't want to buy the same music twice, even in super deluxe form. Even when I did have the means to purchase, it depended upon the artist and music. Most times, I passed on the purchase. However, I do keep watch the Popmarket.com website for limited deals on box sets.

20. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Too many out and coming out to be able to afford them. The last one I bought was The Beach Boys' SMiLE. I cancelled my mono LP box and bought the LP's individually as it's the music I care about and an extra $60+ for a box and book was not essential. I have put the Queen, Neil Young, Allman's and Rod Stewart on my eventual "Wishlist". I am buying the Iron Maiden one though however.

21. I gave in and spent $74 for the Allman Bros Fillmore blu-ray. I had to eat cat food for a week, but it was a small price to pay. Our poor cats almost starved,
    but I told them sometimes in life, you just gotta sacrifice.

Six String likes this.
  22. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I don't hate millionaires for the fact that they have money. I'd like to be a millionaire, too. Got any suggestions? :)

23. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Reminds me of the Steven Wright literal one-liner, "Can't have everything...where would you put it?"

24. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

That box is the only mega box I've purchased and I paid 60 bucks for a new one, not 125. I missed out on the Best Buy blowout for 30 bucks. And yeah, TP was never the same after Stan Lynch was gone, what a bummer. The man had the groove, no doubt.

Ephi82 likes this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The other thing about box sets I find troubling is that I play box sets less than single lps. It takes more time to open a box, decide on which disc to play if I haven't already had one in mind and put it all back in the closet when I'm done.
    It's not that it really takes that much longer in actual minutes but compared to a single lp or cd sitting on a shelf it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.