Why all the hate for the Monkees' Pool It!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Folknik, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Huh. To each their own, but I'd recommend listening to the Headquarters, Pisces, and Head albums again. A handful of songs from Birds, Bees too.

D-rock, Hep Alien, starduster and 3 others like this.
  2. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I remembering hearing the record "Luka" by Suzanne Vega that same year-- 1987. It sounded to me like something Peter could have done. Take what probably started as a simple folk song and give it a fairly tasteful modern 80's treatment.

So maybe the problem with Pool It is just a lot of the songs are bad?

I think Getting' In is the best song on the album. It's at least interesting and has energy, to me.

I would have liked to hear heard versions of Tender Is, MGBGT, Pirates, etc... all stuff that needed up on Peter's only real solo record.

3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

It would have been interesting if they split the album up three ways, so that each guy received 4 songs (ala "The Monkees Present")... And it's too bad Peter didn't get to contribute more instrumentally...

Hep Alien and Folknik like this.
  4. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Not if it was The New Monkees.

5. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Now that's an idea for a poll: which is worse: Pool It or The New Monkees?

Wonder who would lose that. Ah ha ha ha...

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. PsychedelicWheelz

PsychedelicWheelz Forum Resident

The Micky songs on the album are all pretty solid, Peter's "Gettin' In" is probably the best overall song on the album, but Davy's songs are among the worst ever recorded by the band.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. PsychedelicWheelz

The Monkees Present is at least half of a great album: "Listen To The Band", "Mommy And Daddy", "Good Clean Fun", "If I Knew" and "French Song" are all fantastic cuts.

D-rock, rockerreds and David Austin like this.
  9. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

I've just looked out an old copy of Record Collector (No. 101, January 1988, pp. 36-39):

' "Pool It" may be slightly startling at first for old-time Monkees fans. The band have jettisoned their Sixties sound for a state-of-the-art production that includes synths, screeching guitars and even a raggae beat on "She's Movin' In With Rico".'

The article features an interview, by Peter Doggett, with Micky Dolenz, in which Micky says, "My attitude to the album was that we shouldn't try to recreate the sound of the Sixties, with 12-string guitars and tambourines. But we kept the philosophy, of simple productions without a lot of gimmicks and tricks, good songs, and don't get too slick. But essentially the Monkees' sound shouldn't change. It's like if 'Blue Peter' changed their format and aimed at 30-year-olds; you have a commitment to your audience, and I think it's unfair and cruel to betray them..."

Micky then goes, as he often does, to reference Star Trek (what fans expect of the original formula, etc.), before talking about his plans for Repossessed (which he is writing for Warners) and a Monkees movie (which he will direct). What I pick up from this, all these years later, is a question about what Micky judged to be the 'philosophy' of The Monkees' music, given that Pool It, to my mind, changes the sound significantly (there were other acts in the late '80s that sounded more like The Monkees to me than Pool It - e.g. Bangles).

Hep Alien and Grand_Ennui like this.
  10. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Help me out here...and this is not a slam, it's just a different view on a song...but tell me why you like French Song so much. I think it's among their worst. Always love when fans are passionate about certain songs that I'm not.

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

According to the RIAA, it definitely isn't some big seller.

Monkees Chart Beat// hit singles and album sales

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Nostalgia can only take you so far and Pool It was enough to make me put all my Monkees albums into storage for at least a decade. Pool It managed the rare feat of combining the worst-ever 'comeback' album with the worst album cover of all time.

Mike Nesmith was smart enough to not get within 100 miles of that pile of excrement.

David Austin likes this.
  13. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Any connection to the eventual movie of that title, a parody of The Exorcist with Leslie Nielsen and Linda Blair? I don't see Micky's name on it at all.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

I became a fan in 86 like most Monkees fans. I know i'm in the minority, but I absolutely love Pool It, but I do love the 80s sounds and productions. I have no problem with synnths. as a new fan, this was my first album of new material, so it will always have a special place in my heart. standouts include, heart & soul, don't bring me down, midnight, love you forever, since you went away, long way home, etc.

chad

15. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Unfortunately I have no idea (though it would be interesting to know). I thought it was worth mentioning Micky's Repossessed (whatever that was) and the proposed Monkees' movie as they give some indication of Micky's activities/plans at the time of promoting Pool It. We know the Monkees' movie never came to anything, and I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly, if the project came to fruition in other hands) that the same can be said of his Repossessed.

16. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

"Pool It!" has no heart and soul.

Keith V likes this.
  17. PsychedelicWheelz

I think it's genuinely beautiful pop ballad with some sophisticated Euro-flourishes. It has a great hint of jazz, too.

Grand_Ennui and jfmlaugh like this.
  18. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I also got into The Monkees during their comeback on Mtv in the 80's (actually saw them with opening act Weird Al Yankovic at the Ionia Free Fair!). I remember at the time really liking about half of the album. A quick listen now and I'd probably say I really like maybe 3 songs on it. None of them are really that memorable in a good way. For example, I can remember lines from songs that are still pretty cringe-worthy ("You used to hang out in the alleyway/You sewed a button on my shirt one day", or "You hold the key to my secret heart/Just turn the lock/And we could be lovers after dark"). And back then, I never knew that "I'd Go The Whole Wide World" was actually a remake! More than anything, I can tolerate it due strictly to nostalgic reasons.

spsimmons likes this.
  19. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Every step of the way was a remake also. I didn't know that until recently either.

20. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I remember around that time, there was also talk of The Monkees starring in a version of "Hellzapoppin'" on Broadway...

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. Pool It basically isn't a real Monkees album but a set of solo recordings by members of a band that didn't want to work together at the time. I think this may be one source of Pool It hate among purists who care about such things. I just listen to music I like. I sort of like Pool It. It's not their worst album, that's Justus.

22. PsychedelicWheelz

I’ll meet you halfway. Pool It! does have some good songs. The Micky tracks are all very good, “Gettin’ In” is terrific and possibly the best song on the album, and the Davy ballads are terrible on a par with “The Day We Fall In Love”.

My three favorites are “Gettin’ In”, “Midnight” and “Don’t Bring Me Down”.

D-rock and MarkTheShark like this.
  23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident Thread Starter

I actually really like Justus. Being the only album completely written, performed, and produced by the Monkees themselves, I would say they rose to the occasion and some of the songs are quite remarkable. IMO, their overall worst album is More of the Monkees. Despite some really good songs (even a few classics in there), for me it has an overall downer vibe. They didn't sound like they were having much fun in the studio except for Peter on the goofy "Auntie Grizelda." Even "Laugh" (a pretty wretched song) sounds a bit depressing.

Hep Alien and PsychedelicWheelz like this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I remember this album when it came out. I'm sure all involved wanted a better outcome. It actually took a lot of guts to release a new Monkees album in 1987 from a 1960's rock band in that current 1980's music scene.

A failure commercially with some good and bad tunes.

Alan's Album Archives: The Monkees "Pool It!" (1986) (Album Review)

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I enjoy Pool It more than Justus, but it may be that I feel Pool It is more of a pop album than Justus.
    My tastes usually run more pop than rock.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.