Why are Empty Take Up Reels so Expensive?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BeatleFred, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Metal reels are hard to find sometimes. You can buy that size reel in plastic, but I wouldn't do it for something valueable.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

4. BeatleFred

Awriiiight- Thanks Steve! I think I will be ordering some to use with my beloved Teac A-3440 :)

Ok- dumb question: why do some empty take-up reels not have the slot that allows you to insert the end of the tape into, otherwise with no slot- you then have to hold the end of the tape down with your finger and wind the tape around and on top of it a few times to secure it, which seems a bit clumsty to me ???

5. Steve Hoffman

Well, never use the slot. It can cause a "bump" and 20 years later you could be in for real trouble.

By the way, nothing wrong with plastic take up reels either....

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Best to get reels with no slot if possible. I used to take the flanges off metal reels and put them on discarded hubs from bulk packs of Scotch and Ampex tape, but alas, we rarely use analog tape any more and the last time I went looking for some (they used to be like tribbles) I came up empty handed.

But I have some spare old 10" reels and boxes. I don't mind parting with a few for postage. (May have metal centers with slots.) PM me if you want a couple.

RE: plastic reels, the smokey brown or clear ones Polyline sells are just fine. The solid grey ones 3M sold tended to warp and damage the tape.

7. BeatleFred

8. BeatleFred

9. Steve Hoffman

Mackie for me.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Although we can order TASCAM and Mackie, no one has requested TASCAM yet that I know of, but we have sold lots of Mackie product, especially the speakers.

11. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Steve and I are in agreement (how 'bout that!?) about the Mackie vs. Tascam.

Sorry, I don't have any spare 1/2" reels or hubs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.