Why didn't Paul write and record with George after 1970?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

Just checked Pattie's book and she says she and George spent time in NYC in November-December 1970 after ATMP came out, and "saw" Paul and Linda while there, though she gives no further details. I didn't see Ringo mentioned, but she did mention they went to several dinner parties while there, so it's possible he was at one -- I recall hearing a story from someone (blanking on who) who said he wound up at a dinner party in NYC with multiple Beatles around that time. Pattie's book is a bit hard to glean details from -- at one point she claims that NY trip lasted a week, and at another point she claims they stayed there 5 weeks, though I think the additional time may have been spent at Bob's house upstate.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    theMess and Mike Visco like this.
  2. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I think that was the absurdity of it...like John telling Dick Cavett he just had lunch with Paul in NY shortly after How Do You Sleep. The Dick Cavett Show I saw for a fact but the Patti Boyd thing is just something I thought I remembered from someone's review of her book, which also had the strange 2000 Threetle photo with George trying to stick a drink in alcoholic Ringo's face.

3. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

I was just cracking up at that photo once again. Naughty George. :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    keyXVII, Mike Visco and theMess like this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Just to go one better George should have then sparked up a doobie and blew the smoke all over McCartney, then McCartney could have gone home to the One Legged Trollop reeking like weed, Heather would have loved that:laugh:

5. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

[​IMG] "and DON'T CALL ME MOTHER!!!!!"

6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

She shouldn't have made Paul stop smoking pot when they got together, he should have given her a puff...it mighta mellowed her out some:laugh:

7. Donaldjr

Donaldjr Well-Known Member

Paul was the original poser.

8. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Why didn't Paul write and record with George after 1970?

Why don't we rephrase the question-

Why didn't George write and record with Paul after 1970?

And more than anything...does it really matter? What's done is done.
    :--)

No Bull likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

possibly because after 1970 george harrison was a pretty good songwiter in his right and certainly didn't need, or want to do any syrupy-pop songs.

sunspot42 and No Bull like this.
  10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Exactly. He was a heckuva songwriter. And not only that...he didn't write songs with John after 1970 either.
    31 pages of what does it matter?!

No Bull likes this.
  11. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

George's solo career is filled with syrupy songs.

maywitch, tages and numer9 like this.
  12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Don't Let Me Wait Too Long
    You
    Can't Stop Thinking About You
    Beautiful Girl
    Learning How to Love You
    Dark Sweet Lady
    Your Love is Forever
    Sat Singing
    Unknown Delight
    Just for Today
    Someplace Else
    Never Get Over You

maywitch likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You mean:

Don't Let Me Wait Too Long For Syrup
    You(r) Syrup
    Can't Stop Thinking About Syrup
    Beautiful Syrup
    Learning How to Love Syrup
    Dark Sweet Syrup
    Your Syrup is Forever
    Syrup Singing
    Unknown Syrup Delight
    Syrup for Today
    Syrup Someplace Else
    Never Get Syrup Over You

;)

14. Haristar

A Bit More of Your Syrup

maywitch, mr._mojo_filter and theMess like this.
  15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'm basing my thoughts on what little I read on Taxman. I think he feared being over shadowed by Paul and/or John in a shared song writing credit. They all had egos and at some point he had to come to the resolve that it was him against Paul and John who were viewed as the superstars at the time of The Beatles. He didn't feel threatened by Ringo. All my conjecture of course.

16. Haristar

I found an interesting audio clip regarding Paul and George's row while recording "Hey Jude":

I found this part especially interesting as it showed Paul empathised with George and understood his anger:

"For me to have the dare to tell George Harrison, one of the, whichever way you look at it, greats, I think, to not play, it was like an insult."

theMess, JLGB and Grunge Master like this.
  17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

There seems to have been a lot of Beatles 'in their own words' videos showing up on Youtube the last couple of weeks.

theMess and Haristar like this.
  18. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

Yep, I've noticed the same.

theMess and Grunge Master like this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

The whole question seems silly to me. It's as relevant as, "Why didn't Paul write with David Bowie, Phil Collins, 0r Keith Richards?" Because they are individual artists perusing their own projects.

mrjinks likes this.
  20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Phil Collins could have done with some help in the songwriting department!
    In answer to the OP, George became the better singwriter and didn't need Macca's syrup !

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I don't think that George was in love with songwriting and performing as much as Paul was. And maybe not even as much as John, showing an even greater reluctance. I think John was even more enamored of songwriting than Paul, he was just lazy. George's first love was guitar playing, and he began writing, it can be said, because he was working with two great songwriters. By the end of the Beatles, he was probably writing in part to prove that he could write great songs on par with his bandmates.

Maybe George has scads of songwriting demos laying around, but I'm not so sure about that. George and John released roughly the same number of albums (studio/live) in their respective lifetimes - and George lived twenty years longer than John. But both those guys pretty much knew that the Beatles were an act that really didn't require following up after, when it call came down to it in the grand scheme of things. Solo works were curiosities. Paul and Ringo were the showbiz Beatles, and continue to be.

Donaldjr likes this.
  22. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think The Beatles (apart from Ringo) were like estranged partners after the internal struggles starting in 1968 and ending in (I think) 1973 when George and John were forced to share Paul's vision of Allen Klein being a crook. By then they seemed to have distanced themselves from everything "Beatle"; John was recording with Yoko and having the Lost Weekend, George was catching up with his own catalogue of un-released songs and Paul was moving on. The "Toot And A Snore"-debacle only showed that the presence of two Beatles in a studio didn't mean 'instant magic'.

23. Haristar

I agree, but that is an answer I'd like to know, however.

Paul and David seemed to be good friends from their numerous encounters at concerts and awards shows, and Paul was one of the many musicians who offered their condolences after David passed away. So how come they didn't ever record together? Maybe it would have been too much of an ego clash between two legends or something?

theMess and No Bull like this.
  24. Haristar

In my opinion the only major row between Beatles post 1973 was George suing Ringo over his version of "I'll Still Love You" in 1976. But once they realised they could have solo careers without the others there was no turning back.

25. Donaldjr

Donaldjr Well-Known Member

Nice call...You seem very to know the beatles history. Do you know who the busts are of on the "Hey Jude" album cover? Been curious all my life and nobody seems to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.