Why didn't Paul write and record with George after 1970?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

John was probably genuinely angry at George for breaking up Ringo's marriage. and although I haven't read May Pang's book, someone else on this forum excerpted a vivid account from her book of a pretty angry argument between the two in which George berated John for never being there for him.

maywitch and Fullbug like this.
  2. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

He was indeed living in the cracker box palace. ;)

MitchLT, theMess and The Elephant Man like this.
  3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

Which is probably a bit hypocritical of John as he, according to Cynthia's biography, was the cause of breaking up a friend's marriage by sleeping with his wife. I think John was pissed at George and was happy to have some ammunition to use against him.

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  4. What do the two scratched-out words say?

Paulwalrus and theMess like this.
  5. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

well, just speculation on my part, but John and Ringo spent a lot of time together in L.A., and Ringo had a pretty bad downward spiral into alcoholism during the seventies after the break-up of his marriage, so John might have been a bit testy with George about his behavior...

Paulwalrus likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I can't make them out clearly. Someone suggested "addict" as one of the words, but I'm not sure.

sallymae_hogsby and theMess like this.
  7. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I was wondering if the first crossed out word could have been 'great', like the word above next to 'NY'.

8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I think he wrote that Elvis was 'fab' but the ink ran out on the b. I also think he wrote that Yoko was a 'loup'

9. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The first scratched out word is very clearly (to me anyway) "dead". That also seems exactly like something that John would say off the top of his head about Elvis, the same way he did "fat" as he had called Elvis at other times...before Elvis was dead that is. It would also make sense that he might second-guess that glib comment for another that wasn't quite so mean-spirited.

the second crossed out word makes no sense to me based on the letters that are still visible. The last five letters look most like "pagin". That "g" could also maybe be a "y". There is probably a "d" as either the 3rd or 4th letter in, but not two of them. The other 3 or possibly 4 letters could be anything without ascenders or decenders. What if it possibly was meant to say "fat and ____"?

That's all I have for it. :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    sallymae_hogsby likes this.
  10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

"Dead" seems a reasonable guess for the first word, given Lennon had previously expressed the opinion that Elvis died when he went into the army. I really doubt the second word is "addict" since prior to the publication of Elvis: What Happened? the extent of Elvis' addiction problem was not widely known. That doesn't seem to be something Lennon would have criticized him about anyway. It looks like it could be "fat and ___" but I have no guess what the blank might be.

sallymae_hogsby and applebonkerz like this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That is assuming Lennon knew about George and Maureen's tryst to begin with. I sorta got the idea that they tried to keep that one under wraps, and it probably would have stayed that way until Peter Brown blabbed about it in his book a few years later. Of course, Ringo could have mentioned it to John when he was in his cups or something. Why do I get the feeling that Lennon's first reaction would have been hysterical laughter, a shake of the head and a mutter of something like, "Fookin' George!!":laugh:

12. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

What's funny is, in the Anthology I always felt that George came off cold at times toward Paul, and yet he went to great pains to talk about how, after he and John took acid together, they had a deep understanding of each other for the rest of their lives.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. ohnothimagen

Or at least until, unlike Lennon, George gave up acid when he met Maharishi. I'm still convinced that though acid brought John and George closer together (and alienating Paul in the process, which likely explains the "barney" they had during the "She Said..." session where George ended up playing bass) when George stopped tripping it made for a huge gap between him and Lennon that only seemed to widen over the years. It was at that point, for example, that Lennon became more and more absent (or had his parts wiped) when it came to recording George's songs, as well the constant bitching and backbiting that went on between the two of them- the Imagine period where George sat in a session lead guitarist was the about only time post acid where John and George really seemed to get on.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I've always wondered about the She Said She Said fight. Could it have just been over which song to do? Perhaps Paul didn't rate She Said She Said...or perhaps it was deeper.

At one point I thought I read that some of the argument was made it to do multi-track...but I doubt it.

15. ohnothimagen

I think Paul didn't like the song because it was inspired by the L.A./Byrds acid trip he declined to take a part of and was roundly ostracized by the others for abstaining from. I also think that John specifically wanted to sing it with George, the other acidhead in the group, thereby shutting Paul out again. The discussion probably got a bit heated and that's when Paul said, "F--k you, I'm outta here."
    Oh, that would be too much to ask for...sorta like the tapes magically reappearing of George quitting the group on January 10, 1969 (not just a snippet of George saying, "I'm leaving the band now...")

theMess, Paulwalrus and Six Bachelors like this.
  16. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I wonder if the Mo Ostin tribute song may have been written about Maureen originally? Mo love and mo sweet kisses?

theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  17. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Yep. I know I heard an interview with Joh on YT a while ago, from the mid 70's, and he talks about not having seen George in "three years", while having seen Ringo and Paul recently.

I suspect nothing deeper went on. IMO both of them were not much the type to reach out to someone they might have had a fight with, so with no one taking a first step, they just remained estranged.

There is nothing at all to reproach Paul there.Isn't it funny how the other three wanted/expected them to keep on functioning as a group, despite breaking up?. I mean, they wanted their SOLO earning evenly split ffs (by not wanting to break up the legal partnership).

Just WHY should have Paul told them anything?. It didn't concern them, at all.

Agree with others he had, after scratching the first word, "fat and .....", but then remembered the "one word" rule and scratched that second word out.

maywitch, theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  18. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

Maybe he was starting to write "fat and aging," but only wrote "and agin" before remembering he was limited to one word and scribbled it out.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  19. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Maybe someone should do a My Sweet Lord/My Love mash-up to simulate what a post-Beatles McCartney/Harrison collaboration MIGHT have sounded like?

20. I think this was rather different since it was Ringo to John.

21. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

My Sweet Love
    You know I really want to see you
    and when the cupboards bare I'll still find something there
    with My Sweet Love...

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  22. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

George is "just his little baby brother" according to Paul.

23. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

In another timeline, John lives and the band reunites to close out Live Aid

24. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Johnny Depp was a buddy for a while....I think

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This can be read like a short monologue:
    "That great fat friend... love hum (pronounced 'him'). But then I lost some good, nice and extraordinary thin sh**. Great!" ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.