Why didn't they Remaster CCR's PENDULUM album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gmrulz4u, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Actually, that's not entirely true. Even Steve has speculated that there may actually have been TWO original master tapes (i.e., when they created the stereo mixes for the album, they actually had two 2-track recorders running), one of which was sent to the U.S., while the other remained in the UK. It does appear that the UK master tape has never been used for any CD release.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

In the ICE article, Astley says the "lost" master tape was sent to him from MCA, which presumably means it came from the US since Polydor handles the Who tapes in Britain. If there was a lost, unused UK master tape, how would it have ended up in the possession of MCA in the US? Isn't it more likely that MCA just sent him the master tape they've always had, which Steve used back in 1984?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Steve, are you saying "yup" to me or to Dave? (or neither)?:confused:

5. gmrulz4u

gmrulz4u Member Thread Starter

Going back to CCR for a second:), I just got this e-mail reply from Katy @ AcousticSounds:

We are considering doing the last two, with the investment being over 50,0000 dollars. It is making us pause. There is a 50 percent chance that we will do it.

Short, sweet, and to the point I guess?

6. Steve Hoffman

czeskleba,

I just felt like saying "yup". What's it to ya?

Actually I was talking to you: I now believe there was only one master tape of Who's Next", and that was the one sent to the Mastering Lab when the album came out. That is the tape I used and this is the tape that will used to make the new release. We'll see what "they" do with the sound". Should be interesting.

7. gmrulz4u

Can someone explain to me what the BIG difference would be between the "ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES" and so-called "SAFETY COPIES"?

Wouldn't they be basically identical anyways?

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

a safety copy is at least a generation away from the master

9. gmrulz4u

OK...ummm, anyone with more specifics as to why?

For some reason I keep thinking it would be the same as copying a CD or Casette Tape, both would be identical to the original, right?

So what's the difference when talking about "ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES"?

10. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Given the Astley track record (Who pun - sorry) so far, I'll wait for someone else to rebuy this one more time and then not be surprised at the end result; I won't be fooled again (sorry, it's been a day where the punny stuff just seems to be oozing all over)... Back to CCR - Chronicle would seem to be a better choice than the 2 missing CCR lp's (which are kinda running on fumes) - hey Steve, would Fantasy charge a much higher rate to Acoustic Sounds for Chronicle to show up on SACD, given its solid lineup of no filler, all killer tunes???

11. Steve Hoffman

Start here:

http://www.netassoc.net/dougspage/Interviews.htm

12. gmrulz4u

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Looks like one of those semi-legal Chinese bootlegs.

Not sure if it's really SACD or not. I'd stay away from that one if I were you!

14. Hey! :laugh: You guys should be thankful that we're still producing Steve's mastered MCA CDs up here. "Who's Next", "Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy", etc. And with the strong U.S. dollar, you can get them for next to nothing. :D IIRC, the last time A+B had "Who's Next" Steve edition on sale it worked out to about $3.00 U.S. and MBBB was around $2.50.

15. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

How much?

16. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Somone in aprevious thread awhile back, gave into temptation and bought this disc for around $44.00, I think.

He wasn't happy with it either.

Buyer beware!

17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

And "It's Just a Thought" is an underappreciated song. One of my favorite CCR tunes.

Jim W.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The DCC Gold Pendulum Cee Dee is fantastic!

19. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

It is a Hybrid Multichannel SACD. But I'm told that it's not in the same league sonically as the Analogue Productions CCR SACDs mastered by Steve Hoffman.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Don't you know that when a record label says mastered from the original master tapes. What they are really saying is- mastered from an old original tape we have lying around.

21. Claus

Claus Senior Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Some Mofi reissues were remastered from tape copies! So "mastered from the original master tapes" is just a marketing gag!

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve said with respect to Pendulum:

Yes, it is! I hope this is a sign of things to come.

23. JWB

JWB New Member

A total lie (as expected).

It's the first time that ASTLEY has used the original master tape. He should have done it right the first time.

Mr. Steve Hoffamn already made a CD from the original master!

24. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Definitely a good disc. I got this today and there is some nice stuff on here. To bad, it seems, that is album is overlooked at times.

25. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Can you please tell me the serial number of Steve's Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy?

Thanks!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.