Why Do People Hate Mr. Moonlight by the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur! Thread Starter

John's opening scream is one of those magical Beatles moments.

It has nice harmonies, nice Latin percussion, and a killer lead vocal.

In fact, I would say that "Mr. Moonlight" and "Words of Love" are the only great cover tune performances from the Beatles '65/Beatles VI/Beatles for Sale/Help period. The others all sound like they're phoned in.

Enlighten me.

bonus, e.s., AudiophilePhil and 6 others like this.
  2. mjc68

mjc68 Member

I don't hate it all.

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I don't hate "Mr. Moonlight" but "Leave My Kitten Alone" is by far the stronger track and should have been on the album.

4. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Compared to most of the classic songs they chose to cover—well-known hits and ones that ought to have been ("Baby It's You," "Rock'n'Roll Music," "Please Mr Postman," even "Till There Was You"), it sounds hokey, corny, and contrived. That organ sounds cheap, and the Lennon's vocal is, ironically, too strong for the material, which can't support his passion and makes him sound mawkish and melodramatic where he usually sounds utterly sincere. Along with "Devil In Her Heart," it's the weakest song they chose to cover. Additionally, if you've heard their scintillating take on "Leave My Kitten Alone," it's hard not to think what side one of Beatles For Sale might have been had it made the cut.

Now, I think their covers of "Everybody's Trying to be my Baby," "Matchbox," and maybe "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" are weaker than their performance on "Mr Moonlight." However, those are all better songs to begin with, so the net effect is stronger. YMMV.

YpsiGypsy, sbayle, Seltarb and 2 others like this.
  5. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I love it too, but it's not a typical rock n' roll song and it must have seemed out of place on a Beatles album when listeners first heard it.

Seltarb likes this.
  6. conception

conception Forum Resident

I've never gotten the fascination with the kitten, and while I can understand that some feel its the more quality track I honestly think Moonlight was a better choice because its more distinctive and unique for the album. Kitten just sounds like another fast-paced cover song that wouldn't stand out as much on an album full of that. In terms of completing the album, I think Mr. Moonlight was better.

e.s., AudiophilePhil, gramfan and 9 others like this.
  7. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Kitten smokes! John's voice and George's guitar kill me. I'm crazy about it.

john lennonist and musicfan37 like this.
  8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't hate "Mr. Moonlight." Beatles '65 is one of my favorite Beatles albums.

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I don't ever think I've heard the ORIGINAL version!!!!

clhboa likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

count me in as a lover of Mr. Moonlight...

11. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Mr Moonlight is my favorite of all the covers on BFS....

AudiophilePhil and Seltarb like this.
  12. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Gotta disagree here. There's nothing like "Kitten" on Beatles for Sale. The originals and most of the covers on that album are laid back, country-and-western tinged affairs. The only thing that comes close is "Kansas City," and that's not really very balls-to-the-wall when you compare it to their take on "Long Tall Sally" or even some of Paul's covers on the BBC set. I'd say "Kitten" is one of the top three or four hardest rock'n'roll songs the Beatles ever recorded before 1968, up there with "Money", LTS, and "Slow Down." It has the searing vocals and the frenetic energy of their best covers. I really wish they'd included it. It stands up against anything that any other "beat group" in England was doing at the time—and that includes the Rolling Stones.

(Beatles-might-have-been-covers: why didn't they put "Some Other Guy" on the Please Please Me LP in lieu of, I don't know, "Chains"?)

13. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I think is a bad track!
    For sure, I'd have Leave My Kitten Alone in and make it a rockier LP.

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Never thought of that!!! WOW! That would've been cool!

john lennonist likes this.
  15. 905

905 Senior Member

It may be my least favorite Beatles track. The Beatles may have been stretched for material at the time, but there were dozens of better songs they could of recorded.

16. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

+1

MUCH better than "Moonlight". I'm not nuts about "Little Child" either.

padesu and Pizza like this.
  17. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Magnus A. likes this.
  18. jricc

jricc Senior Member

+2 I love Leave My Kitten ALone as well.

I'm not crazy about Mr. Moonlight because of the super cheesy organ!

Bewaremylove and john lennonist like this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

It's not my fav. song but I don't hate it...

20. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I'm glad you brought up this subject. I've often wondered the same thing. Although I would not list it as my favorite Beatle track...or even as my favorite Beatle cover, I've always liked the track. Nice organ...John's vocals are good. It has never been a track that I hit the skip button. I think we need a new "worst Beatle song"...take back Mr. Moonlight.

21. I think Lennon was well aware that he was being melodramatic and went for the gusto here which is why I think it is a perfect cover. The whole point of a cover even if the material is weak is to make it your own and he does that quite admirably.

Drifter, e.s. and Seltarb like this.
  22. I agree. It should have been put out at th time, too (maybe they could have added it to "Oldies but Goldies" album back in the day.

23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Devil is one of my favorites...go figure...

Drifter, Pizza and Classicolin like this.
  24. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I like the track, but I can see why others don't. It is kind of an oddity, like Besume Mucho would have been if they decided to release that in the 60's.

25. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I used to really dislike the song when I first heard Beatles For Sale.
    It grew on me.
    Now, I adore it. I think it's a great song & a great version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.