Why Do People Hate Mr. Moonlight by the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Yeah, the organ sounds "cheesy", but it's not a joke. The way that they chose to perform the song was an affectionate nod to the older music that they loved. I suspect that listeners who are not familiar with this sort of music might not immediately get that.

majorlance and Shawn like this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Two word answer - "it's corny"

3. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

The song is kind of cheesy ,but ironically it contains one of Lennon’s best vocals ever,IMHO

majorlance likes this.
  4. Joe oliver

Joe oliver Forum Resident

Although the organ sound alone makes it - after the exclusively-Beatles songwriting tour-de-force that was A Hard Day's Night most of the covers on this album pale. Does anyone think that had The Beatles been given more time to put together a whole LP's worth of original compositions, they would have?

5. Van Fanatic

Van Fanatic Forum Resident

I think Mr. Moonlight is great! Lennon's vocal is strong and it sounds like he's having a lot of fun recording it. If not, it sure sounds like he is.

6. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I dont see why the choice always comes down to those two tracks.
    I dont particularly like Rock and Roll Music and would gladly trade its place for Kitten.

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Another vote for outstanding Lennon vocal.

AudiophilePhil and majorlance like this.
  8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I don't hate it, but I do think it's the weakest track on Beatles For Sale/Beatles '65. As for covers during this period, I think "Bad Boy", "Dizzy Miss Lizzie", "Kansas City", and "Honey Don't" are great! They crackle with raw rock'n'roll energy and don't sound phoned in at all. Actually I prefer the Hollies' cover of "Mr. Moonlight" to that of the Beatles. The Hollies released it before the Beatles did, although it had been in the Beatles' set list since their Hamburg days. I love the live version on the Beatles' Star Club recordings where they sing "Here I am on my nose."

9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I hate it because it is in a dumb key of F#. Who ever writes a song in F#? No one because it's a dumb sounding key.
    And that stupid corny cheesy sounding organ sounds like my old grand dad's organ.

10. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Obviously, they themselves must have thought it a good song otherwise they wouldn't have bothered recording it. To my ears, it's always a joy hearing John and Paul harmonising together and as stated before on this thread, John's opening vocal line is killer. For me, it's maybe not top notch Beatles but I'm always surprised to see it receive as much criticism as it seems to.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  11. I likes it

12. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Who cares! I love it and that's all that matters.

13. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

FWIW, a pretty good songwriter named Irving Berlin — author of approximately 1,500 songs, including White Christmas, God Bless America, 19 Broadway shows and 18 Hollywood film scores — could play piano only in F-sharp!

He did use a "transposing" piano (apparently somewhat common in the early 20th century), which enabled him to play in other keys while using the F-sharp scale.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    thrivingonariff likes this.
  14. majorlance

Ladies & gentlemen, I give you ... the most honest man on SHMF!!! :targettiphat:

Summerisle likes this.
  15. Who say that people hate it?

16. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

My girlfriend says it's her least favorite Beatles tune, she says it's "flat" and monotonous.

17. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

It does seem to repeat one note continuously in "Mis.. ter...Moon...Light...come...a...gain...please..." I think it has a charming inartful quality about it though.

18. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

"You came to me..."

Lol

19. Rose River Bear

It repeats that note for good reason...it is perfect with that pleading quality of the lyric. Think how pretentious it would sound if it had an arching melody.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  20. majorlance

Just curious:
    Has your GF ever heard Wild Honey Pie?
    The longest 52 seconds in the Beatles discography.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    winston32 and thrivingonariff like this.
  21. Rose River Bear

I agree with her regarding the "flat" and "monotonous"sound. It is not exactly loaded with contrasting textures is it. Also, the harmonic rhythm is pretty static staying on one chord for measure after measure.
    It is monotonous and very unlike most of their songs.....except maybe for George's Indian stuff. :D

telepicker97 likes this.
  22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I used to jam in F# with your old grand dad on the organ back in the days of '49. Always refused to do Mr. Moonlight, though. Granddad, he drove a tractor....granddad...he got drunk...

23. Rose River Bear

Is that organ in any of their other songs? I can't think of any.

24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It's always a good sign for the relationship when the girlfriend can't get into Mr. Moonlight. Buy her flowers this weekend...

telepicker97 likes this.
  25. Rose River Bear

I don't know what it is with me and F#. I have synestheisa and I see blood red when I hear F#. I get mad and grouchy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.