Why do so few famous artists like Queen?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stunner2020, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Up to News of the World they can do no wrong for me.

2. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Can you explain this? I don't know what you mean by boot clicking or moonlit rallies. It all sounds very sinister. Is there human sacrifice involved? Seriously, what does this mean?

905, goodiesguy, longaway and 5 others like this.
  3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

You're missing the point. They had many identities and were able to change with the times and remain current while they left all the other bands from their era in the dust. From Bohemian Rhapsody to You're My Best Friend to Another One Bites The Dust to Crazy Little Thing Called Love. That's amazing. All those different styles and all massive hits that still get airplay today. Name one other rock band that managed to do that? I can't think of one and I'm not some super Queen fan by any stretch.

A "fine entertainment band". Ha! Wake up and smell the coffee. All bands are entertainment bands.

4. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

This is taken completely out of context from a feature called "Queen Special" based around some videos and live performances from their Kampuchea concert. It was meant as a funny sketch. As "Queen" have never taken themselves too serious.
    Also the headline of this topic is far from reality. Just watch the Freddie Mercury Tribute concert from 1991 and lots of the most famous artists were there.

5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It means he saw the video for "Radio Gaga" once and didn't understand it ...

905, longaway, agentalbert and 5 others like this.
  6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

After their excellent run in the 70s, their songwriting made them one of biggest bands of the 80. Like a lot of groups/artists that came out of the 70s, they moved with the times. But unlike many of the other bigger groups that came out of the 70s they did it far more successfully (aside from Hot Space, but then again, there's even a no.1 single on that album that's still well known today).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Jarleboy likes this.
  7. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Rembrandt was always dissing on dem.

Lost In The Flood and Jarleboy like this.
  8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Good taste

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  9. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

I'd have to say that the knockers are jealous of their fame, if only because they were the very first "western" band to not only play in the lesser known / desirable parts of the world, but to have such a mass world-wide acceptance & praise, that album sales alone can't accurately determine.

Also, they've never been "has-beens" on the comeback trail, & are even more so popular now than when Freddie was with us.

Cheers,

Gregster

Jarleboy, Sondek and delmonaco like this.
  10. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I find it difficult to listen to full albums. Too much filler... But the hits? Come on guys! Some of the best rock ever made.. And that includes Bohemian Rhapsody. Incredibly talented singer in Mercury and unreal musicianship.

(PS- Another One Bites the Dust and that Flash song are two of the worst things ever created by Mankind. And I don't just mean musically. I mean worst THINGS EVER)

11. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Let not forget few things about Queen, that may be are relevant in the regard of the OP question. First of all, during their run from the early 70's until Freddie's death, they have always been an active, high profile act, hence - they always have been a real competition. Usually when some musician praize someone else, this is either someone obscure enough not to be a real competition, or someone from completely another genre, or someone already very old or dead, or someone so universally legendary that can't be avoided, or just someone who is friend or somehow related. Queen never fall in any of these categories during their existence with Freddie Mercury - they were always a top mainstream band. Also, as far as I know, Queen never being a part of some bigger movement, and didn't have many friends and relations among the other big rock acts - they were pretty much unique and on their own. Also, Queen members were more educated and sofisticated, compared to the most popular rock musicians, and they never did anything "straight" - there's much humor, sophisticated self-irony, exprimentation, artistry, and many things that were not completely understood by many.

12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

My guess is flamboyant mediocrity.

JohnnyQuest and Malina like this.
  13. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I don't know why "famous artists" don't like Queen. I don't even know if that's true. All I know is that Queen, like almost all huge stadium-rock bands, got chipped away at by disco in the mid-70s, and then completely swept away by punk and new wave by the late-70s. I don't know to what extent this registered with "famous artists" but to college kids like me this meant that bands like Queen, Zeppelin and even the Beatles were over. Sure, there were a few holdouts, but I can't remember a single person my age listening to Queen by 1980. That's exactly why that scene in Wayne's World was so funny (also the scene with "Dream Weaver").

14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

Very misleading thread title, IMO. Many artists appreciate Queen and for many reasons. Now, to be completely honest, one area Queen were subliminally but highly important was in sexual identity in Rock music. Sure, you had your Little Richard, Elton etc. in earlier generations but Queen was deffo the next level:)

Freddie coming out Bi was a very big deal in 1975, I assure you. Especially in the US, where it could be cool to hate them just because of that. For teenagers coming to terms with their own sexuality, they could either embrace that or be repelled by it, or threatened. Sounds strange but it's true.

BigManRestless and delmonaco like this.
  15. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Zeppelin get its share of criticism but not pure vitriol and contempt as Queen. People really hate the band, quite close to a personal feeling like if the band betrayed something sacred about what "real" rock'n'roll should sound like. It's different from complaining about May's tone in a song or even the usage of drum machines in the eighties. It's a personal hatred against the band.

mschrist likes this.
  16. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member

So far we have found:

They are fantastic, influential to all new genres and groups.

Anyone saying different is wrong.
    Same as any musical thread on this forum:laugh:

Comet01 likes this.
  17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Both. With a huge amount of arrogance to round it all out.

18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, ego is a big part of successful pop star, but modesty (even feined) is a big part of being a successful human.

Jarleboy and Comet01 like this.
  19. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Because they were really no big deal. The real question is why do so many Brits on Music Message Boards always try to build them up as a top tier rock band.

20. old school

old school Senior Member

What was Queens first hit Wondering? And off what album? And what year?

21. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I'm not a Brit but when you make not one but -two- stadium anthems that are used at sporting events to this day, well, you really are top tier, and that's just one of the groups attributes.

22. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I only know the opinion of the members of The Sex Pistol about Queen and they were differing.

The Sex Pistols and Queen were bumping into each other in the Wessex Studios in 1977 where both were recording and this seems like two worlds colliding, but John Lydon and Steve Jones were actually admiring Queen. Lydon even paid tribute when meeting Queen in the studios. Sid Vicious however didn't like (or pretended not to like) Freddy Mercury when coming face to face:

Sid Vicious : "Aren't you that Freddie Platinum what's bringing ballet to the masses?"
    Freddie Mercury: "Ah, Mr Ferocious. Well, we're trying our best dear."

Queen had, by the way, inadvertently done the Sex Pistols a great favour. It was Queen who withdraw on Bill Grundy's Today show and the Sex Pistols were taking their place and swore their way into British fame.

Sondek and Jarleboy like this.
  23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Agreed..

Khaki F likes this.
  24. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Using that criteria, Gary Glitter and the Village People (one stadium anthem each) are just short of Queen's stature.
    :uhhuh:

cc--, royzak2000, JohnnyQuest and 2 others like this.
  25. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I agree. Not quite consistent album-wise, especially in the '80s, but the high points were really great, no doubt. A Night at the Opera is probably my favorite album.

Also, from what I've seen and heard of their live performances, I feel they were at their best in a live setting. A kickass live band!

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.