Why do you go see Dylan in concert at this point?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

I am the writer of the original post...do you want to explain this comment to me?

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But Dylan doesn't have just "one voice". He's had a bunch, so it's not as simple as saying "either you like Dylan's voice or you don't", as someone can love his voice in one era and hate his voice in another...

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Desolation Roe?

4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Well this was bad timing because you missed the very best of the NET.

5. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

My apologies, you misunderstand me. I didn't mean the original post of this thread. I meant the post to which I originally responded in this tiny interaction,
    namely "nightswimmer" I believe.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  6. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Because he is an artist. A legend. Whether the prime of his career or not, I revere his work and legacy.
    My expectations are set accordingly.
    Johnny Winter, Pat Martino, Jim Hall, B.B. King... I missed their prime, but I was still able to appreciate the experience of seeing them live.

tgdinamo likes this.
  7. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I said probably to account for those rare situations when you were forced to go. Usually it isn't at gunpoint. I got dragged to the Eagles ten (or so) years ago. I hated it, but my GF was happy.

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Same reason you'd go see Chuck Berry.He's old,he's past his prime,but he may be gone in a few years.

9. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I'm seeing him tomorrow night in Orlando. Just to be in the room with him one more time.

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The hidden lesson from this thread is to see Beyonce now so as to not miss a legend in their prime.

ARK likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Well, really what I'm saying is that my loyalty to the band may as well be gunpoint. I'll most likely hit the 2015 tour because it would be odd to me to have my last show be Quadrophenia. I'll go see the hits show again even if Roger has trouble singing them. Although I thought he sounded good on the Wilko Johnson record.

A woman made me go to an Alabama Shakes show that I wouldn't have gone to otherwise.

12. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

OK, here are my impressions, but first a bit of background:

I like Bob Dylan's music from the 1960's but really didn't follow him after that. This was the first time I've seen him. The show was a sell-out at the 2700 seat DPAC theater in Durham, NC.

I knew his voice was supposedly shot and he wouldn't play more than a couple of songs from the 1960's. So I came in with somewhat low expectations, meaning I wasn't going to be disappointed when he didn't play any of his big hits.

The bottom line is that I enjoyed the show. Although I only recognized 3 songs, I thought most of the "new" ones were good. His band was very good. I think his singing was a bit better than I expected. I may even check out some of his more recent albums as a result of hearing those songs live.

serge, Carserguev, Muddy and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.