why does the zeppelin 1990 4 CD box set sound quieter than the 94 individual releases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jlbrach, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought they are all done by george marino and were the same masterings yet when I lsitened to one of the individual 94 releases it was much louder than the songs on the 4 cd 90 box set...i am confused by this and thought somebody might have the answer...also are complete box recordings from 93 also done by marino the same as the 90 box or the louder 94 individual discs?..thanks ahead of time

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The '94 reissues are essentially the same mastering as the 1990 box set but with the volume pumped up. They didn't go back and remaster the albums all over again, they just took the 1990 digital remasters and increased the volume level.

I don't own the Complete Recordings box but I believe that it's the '94 reissues in a box. The 1990 box sets are the only way to get the Page/Marino remastered tracks without an additional volume boost.

3. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident Thread Starter

that is a shame if true because of all the different versions i have listened to the 90 4 cd box is the best sounding

4. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

A member checked the channels for the Led Zeppelin I tracks from Crop Circles (and Box 2) and they are not the same as the later single CD. I don't know about the Complete Box.

5. johnasimmons

johnasimmons Forum Resident

I have always liked the sound on the 1990 "Crop Circles" & "Box Set 2" box sets, as the post above says they do not sound as boosted in comparsion to later releases :)

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Refresh my memory....wasn't Box Set 2 "louder" than the 4 CD crop circles yet still significantly less volume boosted than later releases of the same mastering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.