Why Don't We See More Affordable/Great Sounding DAC/Preamps?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomd, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Lately we've seen some excellent affordable DACs out there (tube,DSD) etc but there are VERY few affordable, great DAC/Preamps for say under $2500.Why is this so? I would love a great bare bones tube DAC with an analog volume control with just one or two imputs and two sets of unbalanced outputs.WITHOUT spending $6k like the excellent Ear-Yoshino one.

2. Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

Darn good question, especially inasmuch as there appear to be few answers.

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Analog volume control is the kicker. There are many with digital volume controls. But I think that there are more than a few that will fit your needs, if you look hard enough. I haven't been in the market for this but...

5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

My Fulla has a analog volume control. All for the princely sum of 79 bucks.

6. Drew D. Saur

Drew D. Saur Forum Resident

Probably because DACs are really not that complicated, and, as with all things audio these days, it's easier to create perceived value by charging a lot for them.

If you've ever read the instruction sheet for common DAC ICs from the likes of Burr Brown, Cirrus Logic or Analog Devices, you will find that the engineers who designed them also suggest some surrounding circuitry for them that can be implemented relatively inexpensively, and to good effect (those IC engineers kinda know what they are doing). There's not a lot of huge mystery to this process, so the audio industry likes to try to prove otherwise, and make a whole lot of money in the process.

This is part of a whole sad state of affairs in the audio industry today, unfortunately.

7. new world man

new world man Member

Teac, Cambridge, Audiolab and Musical Fidelity to name but four all have a number of great options for less than £1000. Plenty of choice there.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Parasound P5 is an awesome value @ $1100.00
    edit- sorry I did not read your requirements.

9. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

One of the problems with adding an analog volume control to a DAC is that it typically requires an extra amp stage to work best, not to mention that a good volume control can get pretty expensive (if you've ever compared a typical volume control to a good resistor divider, you'd probably be shocked to hear how much is lost). In any case, some of the high end designers are probably reluctant to add that extra cost and extra amp stage to their products, since most wouldn't use it (the DAC as a source component really isn't the ideal location for the volume control because of that added circuitry needed to adequately drive the cable and the input of the next component).

10. THIS has an analog volume control, and the tech info page devotes a lot of space explaining that once the signal leaves the DAC chip, the signal path is pure analog and fully balanced.

$1,199--under budget, too.

11. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

If I was slightly more into headphones I'd have this Quad PA-One.
    [​IMG]

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The newer McIntosh DACs fit all the criteria including analog volume control, and can be commonly found on ebay for ~$1700.

13. new world man

new world man Member

Apologies, I didn't pick up on the requirement for a tube DAC specifically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.