Why hasn't Robbie Robertson had a more impressive solo career?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

After The Band, you'd expect him to have released a string of strong-to-classic solo LPs, but this never really happened.

Why hasn't Robbie Robertson had a more impressive solo career?

2. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

His limitations as a lead vocalist is probably the biggest reason. Also, as a front man, he's inevitably -- and unfavorably -- compared to Helm, Manuel and Danko who all possessed strong vocal styles and unique stage presence.

dee, Joan the Wad, somnar and 23 others like this.
  3. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

I get the impression he just wasn't as interested in devoting himself to music after the mid 70s.

4. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Because he didn't have Rick, Richard, Levon, and Garth playing and singing on all the songs?

5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I quite enjoyed "Robbie Robertson" and Storyville"... very good albums.

dee, AnalogJ, Norbert Becker and 11 others like this.
  6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Who knows why, he's worked very seldomly, not with the kind of focus and ambition he did 50 years ago -- maybe he ran out of things he wanted to say? Couldn't really sing? Made so much money from his past and from other project that he didn't have the same motivation? Who knows.

barnaby and Chemguy like this.
  7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The fact that he did not release an album for ten years after The Band broke up likely killed any potential momentum he might have had. And as noted, he's not much of a singer. One might just as well ask why Jimmy Page did not have a more impressive solo career.

Murph, Sean, Lamus and 18 others like this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That may or may not be a part of it.

His first two solo albums are fantastic, the first one, the self-titled one, is particularly stunning. It's a 5-star album, as far as I'm concerned. The second solo album, Storyville, is excellent as well. While he has the occasional guests on those albums, it's not like I sit there listening, wishing there was a better vocalist.

After that, he started to get more experimental, particularly focusing on native american music and education. Additionally, he has worked closely with directors such as Martin Scorcese curating soundstrack music for their movies.

On Music For Native Americans, his third solo album and a film soundtrack, the songs are less traditional pop and rock and more experimental. You have to hear, if you haven't already, the last track, Twisted Hair, in which they sampled a chorus of crickets and slowed it down, setting that cricket chorus to Robertson's spoken words. It's pretty amazing and mind-blowing, that the crickets slowed down are creating harmony.

dee, Syscrusher, Yorick and 8 others like this.
  9. mds

mds Forum Resident

If one is going to try and judge his sound to the Band and is looking for a continuation of the Band's sound then yes you might be disappointed. In addition his focus was not 100% music, he developed a film career which probably refocused some of his creative energy. With this said, he has made some nice albums, but in a different direction than the Band's output.

10. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I would argue that he did start out with a string of 3 albums that are at least strong: his debut, Storyville and the Native American album.

Why no more? Good possible reasons cited above. Who the hell knows is probably the most honest answer but just taking a guess I would wager a combination of all the of above main points with an emphasis on lack of motivation/inspiration due to what he already accomplished and being wealthy/comfortable, no longer burning with the fire of youth etc

11. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Oh yes, I concur absolutely.. love the third album also, impressive to say the least.

steviebee and Maddin61 like this.
  12. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

I tend to have low expectations for things like that. It's hard enough for a pop musician to put out one good album, much less an extended run that starts in a talented band and then transitions into a solo career.

13. mds

mds Forum Resident

One reason I love SH forum is it motivates me to go deep into my collection and pull albums out I haven't heard in a while and re-listen and re-appreciate them, RR S/T is one example due to this post, very enjoyable listen.

blehman, Sean, Tokyo Ghost and 11 others like this.
  14. mds

mds Forum Resident

I can only think of Mick Jagger's solo albums. Not to dis them but they are a far cry from the Stones. The flip side is Jerry Garcia, his solo output many times out shinned the Grateful Dead.

15. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I listened to "Twisted Hair" because of your recommendation.

I have to agree with you -- it's haunting and pretty impressive.

Thanks.

16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

In Canada the first one and Storyville got a lot of airtime, I even remember a San Francisco station talk show using Night Parade as it's into for years. Technically the soundtrack for the movie he was in, Carny, would be his first post Band album (although with composer for the film Alex North).

AnalogJ likes this.
  17. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

I guess you'd call it the Dave Davies syndrome...

18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The S/T is outstanding, particularly the MFSL gold disc. Agree with the earlier comment about Robbie's limitations as front man and vocalist, but the songwriting was clearly still very strong and adapted to the contemporary period. It also didn't help that he wasn't as active in music from "The Last Waltz" until 1988, except for movie scores. He was more concerned with trying to become a movie star and hanging with Scorsese.

19. I guess it's a combination of Robertson not being a strong lead vocalist and having become a bit lazy because he'd already made his money with all of his songs for The Band. His laziness would also explain why he hasn't released that much as a solo artist.

20. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

While we're on this topic, is there a thread or poll here evaluating The Band's albums? It's a hard one to search because "band" comes up so much.

Defdum&blind and Jerjo like this.
  21. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Me too. Wow that is some atmospheric, haunting stuff.

steviebee likes this.
  22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I think his solo releases have been extremely impressive. Quality stuff!

If you are asking why there aren't more solo releases, I don't know and don't much care.

Dennis Metz, telecode101 and SteveM like this.
  23. bobc

bobc Bluesman

I really like Robbie Robertson, especially Somewhere Down The Crazy River ("She said 'You'll like it now, but you'll learn to love it later'", Storyville is very good and Contact From The Underworld Of Redboy is pretty good, but that's not a lot over all those years. That's all I have on CD.

I just assumed that he had enough money to handle and, as has been discussed, he hasn't got much of a voice. Maybe that's why the spoken stuff sounds so good.

Rockford & Roll and barnaby like this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Karma?

SG47, elgoodo, Wes_in_va and 4 others like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Because he cant sing worth a crap. And he cant write a hit any longer. Notice I didnt say he has no talent. He has some inner'esting ideas. But people dont buy inner'esting ideas. He also has no charisma. The Band was a great group. Its individual members? Not so much.

ted321 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.