Why I Love/Hate Vinyl

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dudley Canuck, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dudley Canuck

Dudley Canuck Active Member Thread Starter

Can't these things be discussed without a war?
    I assume that's the only reason you're interested...no?

2. Dudley Canuck

But if "life" offers a better choice we shouldn't take it? :)

3. Aftermath likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Same here.

But I will tell the OP what I tell everyone who is bothered by vinyl noise, or having to turn vinyl over, or the fiddling around that they have to do to get it, uh, cd perfect. Life is too short. Listening to music should be a pleasure, not a burden. There are so many mediums these days, including just ripping and listening. So why put yourself through the hassle to listen to one when you can listen to another? Pops/clicks/skips don't bother me, and I stopped worrying about vac cleaning every new record before play years ago. Same with worrying about setting up everything so it's 100% perfect. Probably why I got rid of some very expensive modern gear and now listen with pretty much all vintage stuff. Ultimately, the positive experience that I get listening to records is greater than any other listening medium, and so that's why I do it. If it wasn't, I wouldn't.

5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Hi Dudley,

yes, your post deserves answers, beyond the jokes:

"Back in the late 70's/early 80's I Imported the Ramones release It's Alive.
    This was a 2lp release that meant an entire concert was split on four sides with fake fade in/out added.
    It wasn't until I recorded the vinyl to tape and crudely edited out the fade-outs that I truly appreciated this concert AND the Ramones in general."

any revelation is good for the elected ones, and the ones who build for it will see the light. I mean, you used your time to assemble that tape, sure it got a special meaning to you. was really that pause between sides the missing factor? Did the same trick work with any other 2lp live album by any band?

"Pops and Cracks...I have no idea why vinyl enthusiasts forgive this major audio flaw...it drives me nuts."

me too and this is why the most of my vinyl does not have pops and cracks. unless you want to spot some minor sign of it between songs. Is that the point?

"Warped Records...The slightest warp gives the audio a heavy thump...another pet peeve although not as common."

not seen or heard here, except a couple of olympic champion LPs, able to make the needle jump to a random place on or off the vinyl itself. this may happen...

"The sensitivity of a turntable...If you have a wooden flour you know that Tip toes just don't fix this problem."

flour? concrete floor here, with sometimes people dancing around and no skipping whatsoever.

"Improperly made vinyl...
    OK this will include a few different problems.
    A hole punched off center...I had a release by Echo & The Bunnyman where the hole was so of you could see and hear the tone-arm sway back and forth.
    The final cuts on each side sounded like a off centered 45 single.
    Grime...I had one record (Joy Division's first release) that I Imported from factory and the damn thing crackled so much I was wondering if it was intentional since a Nitty Gritty cleaner couldn't remove the gunk."

I see you had problems with 2 (two) records. the question is: two out of how many? is it a real danger any time you buy a new one? is there more noise in this issue than in life itself?

Then, I must say, I love records more than CDs, but I own more CDs than LPs, even if most are duplicates. this may happen...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Not a chance. Vinyl rules! Oh and Beatles!

bluemooze, TLMusic and morinix like this.
  7. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Man I wish only 1% of my vinyl had clicks and pops. I find it real hard to believe!

I have 1 LP that I'd consider click and pop free outside of inbetween track noise. I think everyones threshhold of what they notice is different.

I have allot of digital music but certainly appreciate vinyl.

timind likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I have LOTS of lps that were never released on cd. That alone is a good reason to me (and maybe to you too). I could list a lot more but feel this particular horse has been flogged to death on this forum

SandAndGlass and russk like this.
  9. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

10. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

As far as pops and clicks are concerned, cartridge choice is paramount.

Upinsmoke and russk like this.
  11. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Clean those mutha's, then clean em again! Still pops and crackles? Get the glue out! Now, take the glue off...clean it again. Still crackles and pops?
    You tried, next time buy better condition records.
    Vinyl takes effort and love, and generally it will give the same back to you.

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Looks more like a 90% hate / 10% like post to me.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. Dudley Canuck

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I wish I could be more intelligent about it but vinyl rules, CDs suck!

15. Dudley Canuck

Did I guarantee a 50 50 split? :)

Gaslight likes this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Good point. :)

17. Dudley Canuck

It sounds like most of you love the the hobby of vinyl over accurate music reproduction.
    Is there a thread for 8-Track lovers here?

18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Vinyl isn't for everyone.

19. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

In before the ban hammer :0)

20. Dudley Canuck

OK...NOW I get why that Graham dude pulled up a chair.
    Some of you guys are NUTS!
    I'll take a Que from other digital enthusiasts and stay OUT of ANY folder with the word vinyl.
    Cheers guys and enjoy your hobby. :)

21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Euphonic distortions.

And I love them. :)

22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I have plenty of Lps that have no pops or crackle. Lots of them. Thats takes work though, no doubt about it. Careful purchases, good turntable set up, experiments, record cleaning. So what - its a hobby and worth the effort for me. Especially when you get the right mastering that bring the music to you like no other format.

Do you 'hear' the digital artifacts and defects? The lesser resolution tape that was use to make the digital version? the mastering that screams someone with bad ears or loves EQ & bloated bass mastered it? Probably not. And who cares whether there is surface noise between tracks? Who the he** listens to the silent bands between tracks? (I'm setting aside the issue that clearly audible surface noise on new/good records says theres something wrong with the system somewhere along the line).

What would you say to someone who never wants to see live music because they cannot take the sound of coughs in the audience, or people talking? the BO of the guy next to them? hey those are all defects that detract from the music experience. If one decides so.

What you're relating are simply the particular issues you don't like with vinyl . Issues that don't occur with everyone else's systems or record playing experience. Its all subjective. Theres no right or wrong

Dino and russk like this.
  23. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

Personally I think CDs sound better, but I find myself playing vinyl far more often when I'm listening on my proper setup. I love the massiveness of it to some extent. It gives real meaning and purpose to the art that is music. A whole 12" disc of plastic and and 12x12 cover displaying the beautiful art. Music has been so marginalized in today's society and vinyl gives music back its importance, it demands you to pay attention to it and respect it. That said, there is surface noise, but it's not horrendous for the most part unless your records are really beat up. Personally I think the best sounding medium I've ever heard is 5.1 mixed DVD-A, but not everything is about sound all the time imo. It all sounds good enough.

T'mershi Duween, Sailfree and krisbee like this.
  24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I prefer CDs pressed to vinyl.
    And vinyl pressed to CD.

Best of both worlds. :righton:

Hendertuckie likes this.
  25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I bet you say that to all the trolls.

bluemooze and jon9091 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.