Why is "Led Zeppelin" suddenly so Popular? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tone, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I doubt there is a concerted effort by the bands management to make them more popular by giving away t-shirts.

Wardrobe depts don't take any ol crap just because it's free. They'll source it once it becomes cool to wear it. I'm sure Eddy Money's management wouldn't be so successful in getting his t-shirts worn. Once it becomes cool they pick up on it. I saw Motorhead t-shirsts for sale in TopShop years ago...I don't think Lemmy was handing out free t-shirts to the cool kids in the hope that TopShop might sell his shirts.

Britney Spears wasn;t sent a free T-shirt in the hopes she might wear it to make the band sell more records.

To suggest they're popularity is down to free t-shirt give aways reeks of stupidity.

Eddie

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

1973 DVD/Blu/DDVD in 2007/2008.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Huh? Led Zeppelin toured in 1998 and 2008? :confused:

4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I disagree with that. I don't think there was any dip in popularity during that time. The only groups who really suffered were glam metal bands, and Led Zeppelin was an influence for most of those grunge acts.

5. SoundAdvice

Stadiums were on hold in 2008 for LZ.

1998 was a "zeppelin" tour in all but name and a different bass player. More accurately, fans knew it was as close as they were ever going to get do a full tour after 1980. 5 piece rather than all the extra musicians they had in 1995/6.

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Page/Plant?

7. SoundAdvice

I always viewed "hari metal" as bad Zep knockoffs. They were the ones who had their careers nosedive after Nevermind scale the charts.

Nirvana covered Zep and Grohl always had his Bonham tattoo visible.

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

My thoughts exactly. In all honesty, LZ was diverse enough in the things they did, that one can see thier influence in many different sub genres of rock music.

9. Oatsdad

Page/Plant wasn't Led Zeppelin. The name value meant a lot. I believe "Led Zeppelin" would've sold skillions more tickets in 1998 than "Page/Plant" did.

As many have attested, I don't think Led Zep ever went out of style or became unpopular. At any point over the last 30 years, a Led Zep tour would've been huge...

10. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Oh Gawd I was not suggesting that, I was just meaning that it helps, ie its all good publicity!!

11. SoundAdvice

The voice and guitar of LZ still in strong form, and a setlist PACKED with their songs(minus stairway)played faithfully.

Why was there soft selling markets in 1998, especially in the US?

In 2006, one could say The Police would sell "skillions" of tickets if they toured, but there were a couple half empty arenas/sheds after the first go around and on later dates.

12. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Because of Rober Plant's beautiful voice?

13. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

The "Singles" soundtrack from that era featured the Lovemongers (Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart) doing a cover of "Battle of Evermore".

14. SoundAdvice

Almost Famous soundtrack helped.

Didn't Page agree to the Cadillac(?) commercial because LZ were drying up(or limited range of their songs) a little bit at radio?

15. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

suddenly? they were always popular and every generation comes up with bands that are good. LZ have taken blues and turned the tunes/bits/riffs/ into hits and classics for all time. they still sound good today and always elicit people yelling turn that up! when they get played on classsic radio.

16. SoundAdvice

General lack of decent "rock 'n roll" music in the 00's. Same thing with ACDC, who sold more albums in the 8 years they were away from the studio than their entire career up to that point.

17. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Anyone thoughts on Jimmy Page and the black crows/Live at the Greek?

18. Oatsdad

I already told you why: the name. The casual fan will go "woo-hoo" for Led Zeppelin but not for Page/Plant...

But the Police DID sell skillions of tickets. Just because they ended up oversaturating the market doesn't mean that tour wasn't an enormous success.

And Led Zep was bigger than the Police anyway...

19. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Well, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath have those elements too for the most part.

Not much folk stuff, mind you.

20. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:D

21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Many fans questioned why they allowed their song to be used for that commercial.

I was talking with someone who is somewhat of an insider by chance and he asked one of the three why. He was told they did it because of the Cadillac brand. It was such an iconic brand of car in the 70's and so American. Sort of the Cadillac car is the car type of thing.

Eddie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.