Why is Pre-Rock Music Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nbakid2000, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alainsane

alainsane Hyperactive!

Sto lat! Sto lat!

dewey02 likes this.
  2. drasil

drasil Former Resident

probably because music evolves over time in order continually to give audiences something novel to listen to while still appealing to their preexisting tastes.

that's just the case for the mainstream, 'Mumford' part of the equation, though. as far as its indie side went, american folk music very often was being recreated with plenty of purity. my freshman year in college, I fell asleep nearly every weeknight to drunken, simplistic renditions of 'St James infirmary blues,' 'shenandoah,' 'dry bones,' and similar material being belted out in the room next to mine by three banjo players, an acoustic guitarist, and an guy on autoharp.

this is not what most people experienced, but it's what was happening in art school, that incubator of all things indie. the public at large got a hybrid of this and more familiar sounds (rock, in this case) in the guise of Mumford and other like-minded acts.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  3. alainsane

alainsane Hyperactive!

When I look through the old 1950's issues of Billboard, I see that--like in every area of our culture--there are so many long-forgotten and never-remembered musical acts. It's the same for books; the same for movies. "All those people, all those lives; where are they now?" When an artist emerges from obscurity (or niche interest), it's because someone famous or rich curates it out. Nick Drake via some movies but I'll bet mostly that VW commercial. Carson McMuller via??

videoman likes this.
  4. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Oh people were vile heathens then too you just didn't hear about it so much because there was no internet.

5. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

It's a similar story with my dad but a generation later...Bad Bad Leroy Brown was about as rocking as he got. He did have the 8 track of Simon and Garfunkle's Greatest Hits which I made him play incessantly on car trips...but I digress...

As to the sexuality in the lyrics, there are the blues tunes, of course, but even more standard fare dealt with sex, it was just dealt with more cleverly because they had to be sly about it. I don't think modern "put it all out there" lyrics stand up well by comparison, and as Lester Bangs wrote there is nothing more sexy than horny people who are repressed and can't speak openly about it...but I digress again...

alainsane likes this.
  6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Similar story here. My dad was born in 1932, my mom 1934. Both hated rock. My dad was big into country though. I got my love for Hank Williams through him even though it took me decades to realize it. I thought it all sounded horrible when I was a kid. I remember my dad saying that "Yesterday" was the only good song The Beatles ever did. He never mellowed on that stance.

My mom mellowed a bit. Probably mostly because she had to listen to the stuff we kids played much more. She became an Elvis fan eventually and even CCR. I remember her once saying that she wished she'd been born a couple of years later so she could have got into rock more. I think that might have been while we were watching an episode of "Happy Days".

But growing up stuff like Peter Paul and Mary and Tijuana Brass was as modern as they ever got.

Thurenity and MLutthans like this.
  7. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Wait ... you man like Mozart, Bach and Beethoven ?
    I think it's still alive.

You mean like Miles and Coltrane ?

You mean like Sinatra, Ray Charles and Nat ?

Hoagy Carmichael, Cole Porter, Arlin, Berlin, Rodgers and Hart, Ellington, the Gershwins and all those great songwriters might smell funny but I don't think they're dead.

Scopitone and kennyluc1 like this.
  8. Because the Rock 'n' Roll Revolution was such that it wiped out most forms of earlier pop music over the next decade. But if you look further to say jazz or blues I don't think it should be too hard to find musicians who draw inspiration from pre-rock bebop or Chicago/delta blues styles.

Also: how much pre-British Invasion or Motown influence do you hear out there in pop these days?

9. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

Emotionally, it's just not relevant to the mass music listening population of today. Still, there's an endless amount of beautiful music archived from that era.

10. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

LOL. First time reading this post I saw "how many people in 1950 were listening to music from 1980".

nbakid2000 likes this.
  11. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

It would be nice if this music came back:

12. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Huh? There was music before the 1960s??

:D

smoke likes this.
  13. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Just the ones at the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance.
    [​IMG]
    "I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it."

Scopitone and vinylphile like this.
  14. Also, Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra didn't do onstage gross-out contests.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  15. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

Visit New Orleans and on any given day, in a dozen bars, there are young people playing turn of the century (not the last turn) jazz, blues, brass, jump, whatever without irony! Most with a great amount of talent. Sometimes they modern it up and sometimes play it straight; however, they usually honor the tradition. Greatest music scene in the country and probably the world.

P.S. And people dance like crazy!

16. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Brudy, Scopitone and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

I think the post-50's populace was sated by Magnolia Simms.

Bob Dobalina likes this.
  18. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

Wow, I didn't realize Bach, Beethoven and Mozart, let alone Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, and John Coltrane, are nothing compared to the likes of Cream.

19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I think this forum needs a [SARCASM] icon

20. watchnerd

watchnerd Forum Resident

yah

That being said, I do know people who have made such statements in all seriousness. Albeit usually while stoned.

alainsane likes this.
  21. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I like some Cole Porter.

22. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

[​IMG]

Scopitone, Lucidae, drasil and 3 others like this.
  23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

A late-2013 post of mine from a Sinatra thread that may be relevant here:

24. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Oh, I hope this isn't so...though it just may be. Gad, anyone who doesn't get tingles and gooseflesh from the haunting poignance and genius melodicism of Scott Joplin...well, they need to go back to 'music school'.

25. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Same for the films of Charlie Chaplin...but it's all a bit off the radar these days and mostly appreciated by the elites (that is not an insult).

Rumor has is BobDylan is about to release an album of Frank Sinatra covers...which will appeal to the kids about as much as Hoagy Carmichael concert tape...but still, the old music isn't dead, it's just underground.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.