Why isn't Over The Rainbow in stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seilerbird, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seilerbird

seilerbird Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a beautiful copy of If I Only Had A Brain (extended version) from the movie The Wizard Of Oz sung by Ray Bolger and Judy Garland. But I have never been able to find Over The Rainbow in stereo. Does anyone know if it exists?

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. seilerbird

No, stereo records did not go into production until 1958. But starting in 1938 movie soundtracks were being recorded on three optical channels. I have a giant collection of movie songs in true stereo from 1938 to 1958.

BTW - if you believe anything on Wikipedia you are in trouble.

4. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I believe this is one of the songs from the movie where the optical multis were missing. Is it true stereo on the DVD? I don't have it handy so I can't say.

5. seilerbird

No it's not stereo on the DVD and it is not stereo on the Laser Disk version, even though most of the soundtrack is in stereo. Here is a quote from the Judy Garland discography:

"It Never Rains But What It Pours" (recorded June 21, 1938)
    Note: This is the earliest known Garland recording that exists in stereo. MGM recorded utilizing microphones placed in multiple angles that were then mixed together to create a balanced mono track for the finished films. Many of these multiple angles survive and have since been remixed utilizing today's technology to true stereo.
    The stereo pre-recording is available on Judy Garland - Collector's Gems From The MGM Films.

This is the earliest true stereo I can find anywhere. I know some people claim the Duke Ellington 1932 sessions were in stereo, but they were not. It is a synch of the master and the safety records and there is no stereo seperation, just two different sounds from two different mics that were right next to each other.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wow , thats news to me
    are those songs commercially
    available ?

I don't believe
    everything on
    Wiki , though
    i don't dismiss
    everything either .
    Did you find anything
    inaccurate in the
    article on Stereophonic Sound ?

Thanks

7. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

there is a wealth of accurate information on wiki

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Various original film songs from that era have been remixed for "stereo" where the elements exist.

The one set that mostly occurs to me are the Glenn Miller recordings for his movies "Sun Valley Serenade" and "Orchestra Wives", in "stereo". They've received various "non-authorized" releases in Europe, where copyright laws are different and they are not illegal there, but they have yet to be released in "stereo" by RCA/BMG/Sony/whatevertheyarenow, as far as I know.

9. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

sorry this is
    offtopic, but
    Scope are you
    a budding poet
    or using a very
    narrow screen?

;)

10. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

Whereas if you generalize about anything you are always on solid rhetorical ground.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No , i just
    tend to group
    words together
    like this , not
    sure why .

Cheers

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

For short posts,
    it actually makes it
    easier to read. :righton:

13. seilerbird

Yes, there are hundreds of stereo recordings from 1938 through 1958 available on CD. This is the reason that Jailhouse Rock and Love Me Tender are available in true stereo. Check out any of the musicals by MGM in particular from that era, like Meet Me In St Louis, The Glenn Miller Story, and the highlight of the genre, Old Man River by Frank Sinatra from Till the Clouds Roll By from 1946.

The article on Stereophonic Sound in Wikipedia looks accurate to me, but a lot of the technical stuff is a bit beyond me. One thing I disagree with is this statement "In common usage, a "stereo" is a two-channel sound reproduction system, and a "stereo recording" is a two-channel recording." Personally I feel a stereo recording must have three channels, left middle and right, reproduced over a two channel system in order to be stereo. I don't think the instruments hard left and the vocals hard right constitutes a stereo recording, I think that is dual mono. I have never heard a live performance that is anywhere close to sounding like that and in my opinion the whole point of stereo is to recreate a live performance more accurately than a mono recording. But I am sure a lot of people here will disagree with me on this point.

14. seilerbird

Yes there is a wealth of accurate information on Wiki. But how do you tell the accurate from the inaccurate? Since there is a lot of inaccurate info on Wiki I tend not to see it as a reliable source. Remember, anyone, any age can edit any article at any time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.