Why Teen Spirit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You're trolling up this thread for no reason and bringing bands into it that have nothing to do with Nirvana or the zeitgeist at the time of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". You've done this sort of thing in the "Heavy Metal Thunder" thread, too. What's up? There was a bunch of posts deleted in that (justifiably so) because of your antics. I'm not feeding into them anymore. Get a grip.

daveidmarx likes this.
  2. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Geffen must've had strong pull on MTV. Nevermind likely played well in focus groups - attention grabbing.

3. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

No.

"I was made for loving you" has no heavy metal framework. None.

4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Winger placed "Down Incognito" on the rock charts in 1993. Bon Jovi never lost their popularity. Coverdale/Page enlisted Coverdale from Whitesnake. In this thread we've already discussed Nirvana having nothing to do with hurting Warrant and Skid Row.

5. S. P. Honeybunch

You say that because you don't think that KISS is a heavy metal band. The band has played it alongside all of their other heavy metal material. If fact, KISS with Eric Carr drumming played it at a much faster tempo than the record.

6. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

It was about Tommy Stinson.

7. vinylphile

No.

No matter how fast the song is played and no matter what other songs are played with it, "I was made for loving you" is not heavy metal.

8. S. P. Honeybunch

KISS is a heavy metal band. All of their songs are heavy metal, even "Beth".

9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Anyone from here on that posts a personal attack, no matter how disguised, will be banned from this thread.

10. vinylphile

Why have you clung to this one post from a year and a half ago as if it is some kind of gospel?

What about what "guitarist Vinylphile" thinks?

11. vinylphile

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

ARK likes this.
  12. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

I did a little searching yesterday after it was brought up and discovered that it was about Tommy moving to LA. :righton:

13. vinylphile

In the 90s hair metal was out and Beavis and Butthead, which regularly aired on the music networks, constantly made fun of Winger.

Sure there were still hair metal bands around but they were mostly trying to distance themselves a bit from that whole scene.

14. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

I dislike all of the songs you mentioned, as well as SLTS, but I was in a cover band with some other DJs, so we got Nevermind early, and even before the record had been released they insisted we cover the song. I think we'd've all agreed that the other songs mentioned were ridiculously overwrought, but why Nirvana got a pass, I dunno and, of course, it turns out my bandmates picked the right song. It might be as simple as Cobain's relative restraint when it came to melisma, making him a much more relatable singer than the other guys who were milking the melodrama, but it's not like Cobain's presentation was particularly drama-free ... -E

15. vinylphile

No, he wasn't onto anything. He was stating an opinion - one that I disagree with. I didn't shy away from anything, I just disagreed. I don't think the two guitarists sound anything alike.

16. vinylphile

Alright, clearly you are here only to agitate. I'm done with you. You have been placed on "ignore".

Clarkophile likes this.
  17. vinylphile

Wow - the thread looks so much better without S.P. Honeybunch's posts! I suggest you guys try it!

ARK, nbakid2000 and Clarkophile like this.
  18. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

By the time that Teen Spirit broke, the Generation Xers who slow danced romantically to "November Rain" had already broken up with their girlfriends and needed a good dose of angst.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

:laughup:

20. S. P. Honeybunch

The "November Rain" single came after "Teen Spirit".

ARK likes this.
  21. S. P. Honeybunch

It isn't me who is overstating the impact of Nirvana on other metal bands.

22. D8 wasn't above pushing buttons, either.

23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

No need to do that. You all should be in nirvana now. :cop:

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It wasn't really a look, so much as how most young people were dressing at the time anyway.

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yet Vince Neil went solo, and I remember hearing his songs in the summer of 1993.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.