Wilco - "Schmilco" - New LP - 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by auto, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Not me I love me some Star Wars

jdrueke and Bowieboy like this.
  2. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

I agree, "Star Wars" is awesome. It took me some time to get it though. But "A Ghost Is Born" took me a couple of years and now is my second favorite, only behind "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot".

And this is for everyone: why is the album called "Star Wars"? I didn't get it yet...

Bowieboy likes this.
  3. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

I believe they just thought it would be funny to name the album that. Don't believe there is any meaning in the name.

4. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Thanks to the posts on this thread I managed to cancel my order of the orange LP in time.

This place is so good for finding out which press in the best or faulty.

Gonna hunt down a black copy now!

5. CBS CLASH 3

CBS CLASH 3 Forum Resident

Got a pink one. Sounds great to me.

I feel that Tweedy and the band could put an album like this one every month. That's not a dig. It's just that the songwriting seems so effortless to these guys at this point. And 10 years of being among the best live acts around makes creating such dynamic performances not necessarily difficult for them.

This is my favorite of theirs since AGIB.

wavethatflag likes this.
  6. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

My copy of the orange lp isn't warped or off center, but it is way too noisy. :mad:

So I got the high-res download. If I had known HDtracks would have the download I would have gone that route from the start.

I like the music more each time I hear it. Really strong album.

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I'll add my voice to the chorus of folks who have warped, off center orange vinyl pressings. Sucky quality control. I contacted Kung Fu last week and have yet to hear back from them. Other than that, I love the album and they blew the roof off the Fillmore in SF on Friday night. This is a band that just gets better each time I see them live.

wavethatflag and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

Not sure about tearing newspaper - it's not surface noise, that's for sure. And I ran it twice through my KL Audio cleaner to see if it improved, it didn't.

9. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

The noise on my copy definitely fits the description of "non fill."

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I've listened to the album a few times now, and I think I'll warm up to "Normal American Kids" -- definitely an interesting subject -- but I don't like it as an album-opener. It sounds more like a "track 2" to me. Still a lot more for me to absorb, but I definitely like a lot of it, with "Someone To Lose," "If I Ever Was A Child," "We Aren't The World" and "Just Say Goodbye" all being highlights.

And for those who like the puns in the titles "Shrug And Destroy" and "We Aren't The World," Jeff did something similar with Sukierae's "Please Don't Let Me Be So Understood."

wavethatflag likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Another great show at the Fillmore last night and some extended play--they usually played from 9-11 each night but didn't wrap up last night until 11:26. Jeff was in a really good mood, no snarky comebacks.

At one point he asked everyone who bought the 5 show pass to raise their hands. I'd say I saw about 30 hands go up. Then he says "Good. Not too many. We're not the Grateful Dead you know, we don't change every set every night." Then someone in the audience must have said "It's not too late", because Jeff replied "It's not too late? No, that ship sailed a long time ago."

Glen Kotche got an extended drum solo during Spiders (Kidsmoke), but really he just kept playing the beat for a while with just a few flourishes. But then towards the end he hits a few cymbals and, bam, that was the signal for the entire band to come back in. Very tight.

I went to 3 of the 5 and I heard that they opened with the first three tracks of Wilco Schmilco every night except last night when the second tune was, wait for it... an awesome Via Chicago. :D

Samsone, what a player, he makes everything look easy as Jeff says in Ashes of American Flags (the DVD). Meanwhile I'm sure Kline is making his orthopedic surgeon happy with all the rigid convulsions he goes into.

12. Junkiesmile

Junkiesmile Active Member

I hope those Filmore shows go up for sale.

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  13. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Ok. What about the other albums? Why "A.M.", "Summerteeth", etc? What's the meaning behind it? I only know the meaning of YHF.

14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Not getting it so far. When Star Wars came out I couldn't stop playing it. Schmilco feels like an effort to put it on, and it does sound more like a Tweedy album than a Wilco one.

15. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Still waiting on my copy to arrive...

16. Eamon Keane

Eamon Keane Well-Known Member

Picked up my pink copy today. Seems to be perfect. No warping or anything else. What do I think of it? Awesome

strymeow likes this.
  17. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

Another owner of a bad orange copy. Love the album though!

18. Sean Murdock

I got an orange LP. Haven't played it yet, but it looks fine.

19. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

Just watch the tone arm gently wiggle when you set it down for side two.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. Sean Murdock

I will look for that.

21. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Got a green marble lp, sounds great, sorry didn't read too far back in this thread...how many different colour pressings are there...is the normal black ok?

22. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Kung fu contacted me today and is aware of a large issue with both pink and orange vinyl. Customer rep didnt have an idea on a resolution, but informed me they are working on it.

Brought home a pink copy from my shop. Flat as a pancake, but aweful non fill issues. So disappointing. I hope i can return my store stock copies and get credit from my supplier. Otherwise just a complete waste of money.

Black vinylr pressed at QRP. Colors pressed at UNited. I wonder if artists think that colored variants are being bought by consumers who either dont listen or listen on low end systems and are buying colors for the fun vinyl experience, while black versions pressed at Q are procured by serious listeners?

I know its probably bogus thinking...but still, why not press them all at Q?

Edit: thinking about it, i am not sure if she said united or rainbow for the color variants, and I only see CB in the deadwax, but my sentiment remains.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

What's the matrix code?

24. anodyne

anodyne Forum Resident

From what I could find, the colored variants seem to have been pressed by Independent Record Pressing in New Jersey. They've posted about it on their Facebook page. My pink copy was off-center as well. Black copy from QRP was pretty much perfect.

CowboyBob likes this.
  25. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

That was it. Independent Record Pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.