Will CD Wallet scratch my CDs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Raxel, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

If treated carefully, I suppose the wallet would be safe, but I tend to think of them as promoting not being too careful with CD's. Could just be me. I'd fill it with CD-R's of my favorite stuff, not the favorite stuff itself.

3. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

No way! The booklet itself MIGHT not scratch anything (depending on brand), but if you get any sand/crap in it...whoo, boy. Make some CD-Rs or leave the golds at home...

Happened to me with non-golds only, thankfully, but still a pain...

4. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I second (or third that, rather). Definitely make CD-R's of the Gold's.

5. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I dunno. I've used a 30 CD wallet for my trips and never really had a problem to be honest.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I take my CDs to work every day. CD wallets aren't going to scratch the CDs to the point of unplayability, but they inevitably leave very fine hairline scratches. Your CDs will play fine, but won't look brand new, if that's a concern. Of course, if you're going anywhere near sand with your CDs, you shouldn't bring originals, period.

7. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Let me elaborate on what happened to my CDs, because I also did it for years with little-no problem:
    I took the wallet down to the beach and some sand got in somehow. Eventually it worked its way into the pockets. Probably would have been okay until I filled it full, and zipped it shut. At that point, the discs were pressed together and the sand pushed into the surface of the CD, creating a pit. Not always unplayable therafter, but certainly not desirable...:shake:

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Huh. I must be a klutz or something. I used mine once and the CDs were scratched / worn and stuff. Luckily they were not valuable CDs....

CDRs for my CD wallet from now on.

9. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I keep many CD's in a big wallet as it's just not practical to take my jewel cases to/from college. However my whopping two gold's I keep separate -- if I'm gonna splurge once in a while, might as well take good care of them! That said, the wallet doesn't scratch up my CD's, though a jewel case still provides better protection.

10. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I was the only person I ever met to actually cart his/her jewel cased CDs to and from school. And with 700+ CDs by the end, it was a PITA. :laugh:

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

As a matter of practice, only cdr back-ups leave my house.

12. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

!

What the heck were you thinking? And how in hell did you have room? :confused:

13. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I would not use the wallet for any valuable CDs. The pockets themselves are made of a material that is gentle on the CD surfaces, but when you take them out or put them back in, you need to be careful not to scratch the playing side against the zipper, particularly if it is metal.

14. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I had a good pair of shelves and big enough rooms, for the most part...
    As to what I was thinking...well...something about the CD losing part of its coolness sitting in a book. You are definitely not the first to question my sanity on that one, though...:laugh: Talk to my friends whose CDs went to the back of their closets after they got their iPods...:shake: ;)

15. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

I agree make cdrs.

I have found two types of CD Wallets. One with the soft plastic/vinyl sleeves, and the other with soft cloth sleeves. The latter is the type that I use and have NEVER had a problem with scratches. I do however fear the vinyl sleeves because plastic density is so mysterious you never know if or what Cd will get scratched.

If you can find the wallet with cloth sleeves you should be ok taking them along. good luck.

16. RDK

RDK Active Member

It has nothing to do with my fears of keeping CDs in a CD Wallet, but I'm always reluctant to take anythingrare or valuable *out of the house* period. I think a wallet is pretty safe if used reasonably. The damage noted above was caused by the *sand* and not the wallet itself... ;)

17. Raxel

Raxel Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks all, busy burnning now. :D

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

A wise choice, my friend... :)

19. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I won't put a MoFi, DCC, or rare disc in a wallet.

Anything else is fair game. You might get some visible hairline scratches. On my common discs, I could care less.

20. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've never used any of the plastic CD wallets, but I have a couple from the 80s that have soft felt-like pockets and have never had any problems. And the way they fold, the bare backs of the discs are never rubbing against each other (as they did in one flawed CD wallet I bought and used briefly...never again). Since I have changers in both cars, I have no need for the wallet in the car anymore.

21. StyxCollector

Changers are worse ... now those can scratch cds. Car CD players, too, with the slot (ugh). Those are worse than any CD wallet. The only one I'd ever buy is that Sony one that has the normal tray (very cool).

22. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Thats what happened in my experience. I still find CD's in my collection today and remember when I tried to save space going to university. In the CD-R age, my discs of any value (sentimental or otherwise) never leave the house.

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

A few years ago, I picked up a promotional (Panasonic) 10 CD wallet with velvet pockets at a flea market. It's a little bulkier than most cases considering it only holds 10 CDs, but I don't usually cart around more than that. Each pocket is made of some kind of velvet or felt, and I have never seen it cause any scuffing or scratching. Each felt "page" is stitched to a semi-firm cardboard backing, so even though the CDs may be back to back, there is plenty of support, not like the flimsy non-stick Poly-Pro pages.

I did a google search for "velvet CD wallets" and found this reasonably priced one at Crutchfield:
    36-CD Folder with Red Velvet Pockets

the one that I have only holds 1 cd per page, unlike the one pictured below which holds 5 per page, but it still looks like it would be better than the poly sleeves.

Attached Files:

24. StyxCollector

It's a time issue in many cases - quite frankly, I don't have time to sit and burn CD-Rs. If I'm going to do that, I might as well buy an iPod since it's smaller. When I pack for a trip, I never decide until pretty much I go what I'm taking. So then I need to burn 36 CD-Rs? I don't think so.

25. dougbrad81

dougbrad81 New Member

take a look at slappa cases: http://slappa.com/index.htm
    these are by far the best cd case i have use. the felt lining is very soft and it features double-dib pockets to insert the cd covers too. kind of a 'why didn't i think of that' type of product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.